Steve Bannon and the Alt-Right

Posing with someone is not the samething as agreeing with them. BLM, as far as I know, was quick to denounce anyone that killed in their name or looted in their name and it wasn’t followed by… but and then a huge explanation as to why they weren’t violent and why they didn’t really loot.

Trump has elevated racists into his government. He absolutely gets to take responsibility for that, and doesn’t get to say I’m not racists as he elevates those people into power.

I think this is an interesting thought. While Trump himself may not hold any bias in his mind, he also doesn’t care that he’s given an elevated platform to those who do. This strikes me as an opportunist without a normal moral code, and his business and personal history seem to support the argument. I think of German businessmen who were perfectly happy to make money hand over fist as partners of the Third Reich, all the while saying out the side of their mouths “What - Me, a racist?!? Some of my best friends are Jews.”

Haha this is brilliant.

Er… this is… weird, to say the least.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/311434/spotted-at-trumps-ohio-victory-rally-this-dude-in-a-creepy-pepe-costume/

So the term “illegal alien” is racist to you? Even though it is a completely accurate definition of what “they” are?
I find the term “undocumented immigrant” to be a humorous exchange. Hey, they aren’t here illegally, they just forget their papers…yea, that’s the ticket.

I know most on here will agree with you, so spare me the PC lesson on how they get their feelings hurt by being called illegal.

Is that not what they are? And I don’t mean it the way Trump has used it. But when police arrest a bunch of guys for growing weed in the backwoods and they are all here illegally is seems pretty damn stupid to calm them “undocumented”.

They don’t call them illegals either. You’ve heard that have you? When the police round up a bunch of teens smoking weed, you’ve heard them refer to those teens as illegals because they are MIPs?

Up until about two years ago (+/-) they would have been called illegals by the cops and by the local news. Now they are just undocumented. It’s like they moved and the mover lost their paperwork.

I am not talking about the illegal immigrants. I am talking about the teens smoking weed or even a group that goes into the woods and grows it on say on Federal Forest lands.

I didn’t understand the question so I skipped it. Teens smoke wherever they want, and should they be caught it isn’t news. And being underage I wouldn’t expect any info on them. So I don’t get your point.

As for the growers…in the National Forests they are growing for the cartels. Several are caught every year. They grow in corn fields here, they grow in orchards, they grow in grape rows.

My point is we don’t call them illegals just because they did something illegal.

I think the original “illegal aliens” description fit because there was also references to “legal aliens” back in the day. I can remember the government sponsored commercials in the 60’s telling all aliens to register by such and such a day.

And I think you, and people who feel as you do, have somehow legitimized them by playing with the language. Instead of being illegal they have been welcome once they reach here, by some state governments, by school districts, by sanctuary cities.

Look, I don’t favor rounding them up and sending them home. That ship has sailed. But I do favor some way of making taxpayers out them, making the lawbreakers responsible, and doing justice to the kids.

If you are going engage with someone in a discussion, you need to pay closer attention to what they’re saying. You are not using the term illegal aliens. You called them, and I quote, illegals. You want to move the goal post any further?

Since we knew exactly who I was talking about I didn’t see any reason to go thru the whole phrase over and over again. Look, I knew this would go nowhere. We disagree. You see it as some civil rights concept and I see it as black and white. You see it as a denigration, I see it as a perfectly logical definition.

I take issue with the term Illegals, as a noun. That’s it. I tried to explain it to you, and you tried to explain to me we use that term with other groups… except we don’t.

“what does this word mean”
“how does this word make you feel”

Facts. Feelings. Choose one. I think it demonstrates that communication is fundamentally broken between those who view the world through one lens or the other.

You don’t know my view. It’s not all what you probably assume it is on illegal immigration. I do take issue with trying to dehumanize large groups of people by reducing them to a single slur, which usually happens more often than not to brown people.

Yes, and when the white right adopted postmodernist identity politics and started wearing your lens they thought exactly the same thing. Fucking white males. Eh.

It’s the argument I have heard. @Scuzz, since jaywalking is illegal (illegal crosswalkers that is) we can shorten them to illegals as well, but we don’t. We only refer to the other as illegals, which is why it considered a racist remark. You take a group of people a dehumanize them by giving them a title instead of thinking of them as a person. It’s a bad way to go.