Stick a fork in it: ryzom is bankrupt

Dunno – haven’t played it. Ryzom was out first though. I guess Bethesda stole from them! :)

I don’t win much in life, but I did win a free copy of this game, along with a mousepad, when they had their slogan contest. My winning entry was ‘Saga of Ryzom - because elves are for pussies’.

Too bad the game did not run on my system I had at the time.

I heard a podcast about Ryzom Ring about a month ago, and it sounded pretty interesting. Yeah, maybe you couldn’t completely terraform the landscape, but it sounded like a decent kit for building instanced adventures. Of course, to prevent people from loading up their buddies with trivial quests that gave out great loot, all the rewards from the quest couldn’t be takn outside the instance, so I guess you’d run the instance for… the great story?

Anyway, for people who are sad about this game’s demise, you can always play Horizons or Dark & Light!

It’s actually a pretty slick tool. You can set paths for mobs, set triggers, script NPC interactions, etc. Also, the DM can jump into any creature and control it, which might add some variety to the encounters. So yeah, it’s like building a little instance. (I have no idea if all of these features made it into the final version, however.)

According to this article she made a million SL dollars, which is like $3700, if indeed this is the person you’re referring to.

That story made the front page in Financial Times Deutschland since Ailin Gräf happens to be a German citizen, although born in China. The corresponding FT UK article claims that her business produces $2.5m in real-world annual revenues. She also has dozens of employees in China.

Well that’s just plain crazy. And insane.

If Second Life has 100,000 players, then $2.5M in annual revenue is $25 per player, if every player actually buys stuff. Second Life players must spend a lot of money, especially since this is just one person selling stuff. There are others selling stuff too.

I’m a bit dubious.

Second Life is what The Sims Online should have been.

I think they were recently reported as breaking 1 million registered players and adding 10k per day.

Yes, second life is a far better haven for fat chicks and housewives than the sims online ever could be.

That can’t be right. I refuse to believe they are adding 10,000 players a day. I could maybe see over the lifetime of the game they’ve had a million sign up for accounts, especially if they had trial accounts – though I’m dubious of this figure too. I’d be very surprised if they have a million active players.

Hey Mark, what MMORG are you playing these days? Still WoW? You must have several alts at lvl 60 by now.

I’m honestly not sure if they’re reporting the whole “revenues” right - I remember a similar dollar figure at one point reported someplace else (admittedly I could be mistaken), which was actually used to describe the total real-world dollar worth of their transactions. Ex: If I buy Property X for $4500 and sell it for $4600, that’s $9100 worth of transactions (the profit is $100).

Then again, she surely makes it seem like she can live off of what she makes so… shrug. I find stories about her just feeding the Second Life media machine, which seems more like a game than anything else.

— Alan

Which Mark?

I don’t know. It seems like every day I see some sort of a mainstream news article about Second Life. They must be getting a lot of registrations off it, especially since the base game is free.

It might be fuzzy statistics, though.

I have three level 60s. I’m playing in the BC beta now. I have two at level 66. The level 70s with their flying mounts seem like WoW millionaires to me, ha ha.

Holy shit! Dems fightin’ words…

Second life is free, anyone can signup for free. You only need to pay to get land or to get an allowance.

Registered players is a completely meaningless statistic in a game that doesn’t charge for registration, however.