Stompy Mecha Thread

That is the ONLY thing that could possibly sell me a PS4.

It is really good and i don’t remember any major translation problems. Do it.

That reminds me a lot of Front Mission, in that the mechs are so much like regular soldiers that it feels like re-skinning a non-mech game, shooter in this case rather than squad tactical. I liked Front Mission 4, as I said above, but the idea of scaled-up assault rifles rather than built-in weaponry is still weird to me.

It is a Japanese thing.

Hopefully we won’t see any mech games that feature other Japanese things, like anime eyes on mechs, or mech tentacle rape.

Yeah, I also felt like I was watching a ‘regular-super-soldier’ action game. Maybe a third person HALO. When the ‘mech’ in HON started wall-running, it removed the last shred of ‘mechy-ness’ from the game in my eyes. The only gameplay that really seemed Mech-esque to me was the speedy slide ability (which reminded me of Heavy Gear and other mecha universes. Front Mission too I guess).

Metal Wolf Chaos is both the most American Japanese game and the best excuse for a modded/import Xbox.

I wonder if anyone here remembers the old game Exteel? That game was great, until they put microtransactions in- then it died.

Wow Corkeh… the only thing that would have made that more “Japanese gonzo Americana” would be if the mecha were wearing a 10 gallon cowboy hat and shooting sixguns. Pow pow pow! Welcome to the white house yeeeeehaw!

Also… Brian and I registered mechagamejunkie.com tonight. I wonder what that means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgxRsaGdcA

My brother and I played this over a Xmas break one year. This game had some problems, and a 150$? controller you had to buy, but it was uncanny how much it felt like you were in control of some big, lumbering machine. Having to pump the correct pedal when you started to tip over was just priceless.

This is one of those things I wish I had in working condition, although I can’t imagine any of the controllers survived, they were pretty horribly made.

I spent some time in Japan, and the arcades were only one of the reasons I never wanted to leave lol.

Ah, how I envy you. Steel Batallion is one of those games I’ve read about and love EVERYTHING I read. Yet I never had an xBox nor do I have the spare income to get one of these (working controllers go for a LOT of money these days).

If they only ported it to PC and made it compatible with my HOTAS…

It always had microtransactions in it. And that’s not the reason why it died.

— Alan

I’ve got three Steel Battalion controllers. One day I hope to get three more and a bunch of old Xboxes and do some 3v3 local play. In the meantime this HON thing looks cool but they keep saying “MMO elements” and to me “MMO elements” means I’m gonna spend too much time playing the game and get fat again.

Back in the days when most phones in the world only had one app on it (for “calling” people) I told my parents I would order their tickets for a Springsteen concert. Unfortunately for them the tickets went on sale the same day Heavy Gear 2 came out so I forgot all about Ticketmaster and went to pick up the game first thing in the morning. I really felt like a jerk about it, but the story has a happy ending because I spent most of the week playing Heavy Gear 2 and not thinking so much about the tickets. Later on I’m pretty sure we all agreed everyone came out on top.

Haha, awesome story about HG2. :)

Oh, and honestly, there’s always been a part of me that’s wanted to get an original X-Box JUST for Steel Battalion.

Wow. You, sir, have impeccable taste in home decor. :-) I’ve never actually played Steel Battallion, but like Juan Raigada, I loved reading about and imagining how glorious it must be to use the controller.

@Ultrazen: I’d forgotten (or never knew) that Steel Battalion used foot pedals too. That’s doubly awesome that you could pump a foot pedal to catch your balance. That brings back memories of all those great Battletech books I read as a teenager.

I never got to play Steel Battalion, and I feel sad because of it. I love playing in the Battletech pods whenever I can. (Doesn’t matter if it is the original or Firestorm. I loved the original game with the coolant loops and jams.)

BTW, you guys are evil. I want to play Border Break Union now.

So, I was browsing (don’t ask) and I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlz-mpov4qY

What I found out so far:
-It’s based in GunGriffon (PS1 mecha game series I never tried but that looks incredible, looking at the videos)
-It seems to have (based on some videos) a full 3d cockpit. At lesast by loking at the first nminutes of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutWx_P0nFg This is the only video where I’ve seen it, so I don’t know…
-It looks like a simulation. I don’t know how gamey it is, since I haven’t played it, but the feel from the videos definitely leans simulationy. It does look very rough, though.

Oh, and it seems to be freeware: http://page.freett.com/grape2004/index.htm

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo… swoon. Thud.

Just bought GunGriffon Blaze for PS2 on amazon.