Strands - Spangram!

Anyone else playing the beta of another New York Times word game?

Strands #34
“Picture this”
:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::yellow_circle::large_blue_circle:
:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:

I’m really digging this one. Basically a word find where one word or phrase spans the board. My girlfriend can’t see the beta but I have it when I go to Wordle or Connections.

Anyone else playing the beta of another New York Times word game?

Strands #34
“Picture this”
:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:

I’m really digging this one. Basically a word find where one word or phrase spans the board. My girlfriend can’t see the beta but I have it when I go to Wordle or Connections.

Just an FYI that today’s was about as easy as they get. I’ve had one day where I was hard pressed to get the last clue even after I was out of Hints!

One thing that makes it unique is the Hints. That’s essential to the daily scoring. If you can get the whole puzzle without hints, that’s the best you can do. Spangram first would be the most impressive way to win I believe.

Boo, I disagree with the thread merge. It’s a separate game!

Looking forward to that. Does it follow a crossword-style progression in difficulty, typically?

Please remove the peanut butter from our chocolate after you’ve enjoyed the new game. Humbly requested.

Yes, it appears our host @tomchick really wants film threads to be separated out, but word games to be all–ahem–jumbled together.

Al this thread was was endless copy pastes for one word game with little to no discussion. Doesn’t seem worth having 2 totally separate threads to copy paste ASCII characters.

Strands is great, though I keep forgetting about it since it is buried in the menu on the NYT games page.

Someone started a thread with a nonsensical title free of any actual information about the contents. I clicked the thread and saw it was a game like Wordle, whatever the fuck that is, so I added it to the Wordle thread, thinking that I was helping people find it. If you guys want threads to stand alone, pick better subject headers.

Well, seems to me he’s been doing a lot of posting in the general purpose threads specifically to counter this, trying to make them more welcoming to people. Given your comment, apparently his efforts haven’t accomplished much.

Anyway, I’ll separate the strands and see if I can restore the original subject header. I don’t even remember what it was, but it basically read like babytalk.

I sincerely apologize if my typing tone came across as snide. It was meant to be gently tongue-in-cheek. I don’t really have a dog in the race of thread creation policy :)

Strands #34
“Picture this”
:bulb::large_blue_circle::bulb::large_blue_circle:
:yellow_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:
:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:

The game is called Strands and in the game you are attempting to find a word that spans the board, called a Spangram. Those were the two words in the header. I explained the game and provided a link in the original post.

Lots of videogames have nonsensical titles and get no more description than that on this forum. It seems like you despise games like this which is certainly your right, but I’m not sure why the title of the game is a poor subject header?

Neat game.

Strands #34
“Picture this”
:large_blue_circle::bulb::large_blue_circle::bulb:
:large_blue_circle::bulb::large_blue_circle::bulb:
:large_blue_circle::bulb::large_blue_circle::yellow_circle:
:large_blue_circle:

Thanks for the thread Dave, and thanks for the better title so I would click on it Tom.

Yes, that was it exactly, wasn’t it? “Strands Spangram”. That was the entirety of your subject header. Strands Spangram. I’m not sure why I or anyone else is expected to know what “Strands Spangram” means.

Which does fuck-all to help people reading your subject header, so I’m not sure how this matters.

If you point me to the threads in question, I’ll fix the titles. Seriously. Please show me what you’re talking about. The only ones I don’t fix are the ones that have been around long enough to confuse people if they’re changed. It’s important to me that people who see a subject header in a subforum understand what’s going on inside that thread.

As for how I feel about “games like this”, why do you think I despise them? I don’t even know what they flippin’ are! You seem to constantly assume the worst about me, and it’s puzzling.

EDIT: Actually, fuck it. I give up, the thread is yours back to the way you originally wanted it. Enjoy.

Pretty cool game!

Strands #34
“Picture this”
:bulb::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:
:large_blue_circle:

Strands #34
“Picture this”
:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle::bulb:

Pretty cool.

Hey man, sorry if I upset you. It’s really not a big deal. Mixing these types of games in one thread is probably not the best but I imagine people would have adjusted. It is your forum so do things how you prefer.

I certainly wasn’t trying to stir up trouble. I also do not assume the worst of you. I’m not sure why you think that I do? I’ve pretty much put you on a pedestal since we first met. You’ve accomplished a ton and are like the de facto game guy here and across the universe of game writers imo. I’m just a dude.

Likewise, mine was a friendly “Boo!” to be clear.

Also, I liked Wordle, whatever the fuck that is because it inspired me to post my friend’s baptism into Wordle in the other thread.

Strands #35
“This’ll all blow over”
:large_blue_circle::large_blue_circle:

Interesting game.