Strange World - Disney sends Jake Gyllenhaal through time and space

Directed by Don Hall (Big Hero 6, Raya and the Last Dragon)

I was digging the retrofuturistic vibe at the beginning of the trailer, but then it went away! Ah well, I’m sure my kids will like this.

They’re really proud of their…gelatinous body rendering? Maybe it’s a refinement of the stuff they did for Baymax.

I first read that as “stuff they did for Baywatch.”

Which seemed perfectly reasonable

Still not feeling this.

Yeah, this feels kind of…hollow? Very B-list Netflix-Original vibes.

Probably just the soft-body physics, but it makes me think of Over The Moon.

Is it me or the character designs and the characters themselves looks like they got plucked out of Enchanto?

Maybe The Disney animation movies are starting to blend together a little too much for me.

Awww was kinda hoping this was not animated.

Well, you could always just watch Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I mean, you shouldn’t, but you could.

There was no feasting, however for Strange World , which posted an opening day gross of $4.2 million from 4,174 sites after earning a lukewarm B CinemaScore. At this pace, the family film is looking at a five-day opening of $24 million-$26 million, the worst opening for a Disney Animation Thanksgiving title in history (Disney Animation titles, such as Frozen , usually dominate the holiday.)

The marketing for this was pretty much non-existent, IMO. I heard about the movie for the first time when Corridor Digital had someone working on this as guest for their vfx/animation breakdowns earlier this year. I assumed that it’s a new project that is far off and had been announced in name only, then googled and was surprised to find out that it was slated for 2022. Trailers were later dropped without much fanfare, and I guess they knew it wasn’t tracking well and thus didn’t bother to up their marketing efforts.

Will probably be frustrating for the Pixar folks as well since all of their recent movies got dropped straight to Disney+ while all Disney Animation productions got a theatrical release.

Over here it got decent marketing (trailers in the cinema, posters, etc).

Saw it over the weekend. The family plot is good (nice, likeable characters, with good moments between them). It shows a very functional family with some standard dad-son issues.

The problem are not the characters or the emotional arc. It’s the world design and adventure plot, which lacks a feeling of purpose. The setting is so far removed from anything quite recognizable (except Xenoblade Chronicles, but I somehow doubt that’s a reference) that it all feels very random and chosen “just because”.

Better than the Buzz Lightyear film, but miles away from something like Luca or Encanto.

I haven’t seen the movie, but the setting is SPOILER

Inner space, right? Like, they’re in the body of a person or an animal? At least, that’s what I think the trailers show but don’t ever say.

Which seems like a weird marketing fail considering the cast.

It is a “plot twist”, but yes, you are right.

My almost-5 year old got it before the reveal, and he was watching the film in English (which he doesn’t fully understand) so to what extent it’s a twist is debatable. But the movie plays it as a late reveal.

Detailed spoilers for the setting follow:

The humans in the setting live in a civilization in a valley they can’t escape cause the mountains surrounding it are too high. If is revealed the valley is on the back of a giant (continent size!) turtle that float in a planet that is only water (seriously, the last shot is an US size turtle in an all-water planet). The creatures they’ve been fighting are the turtle’s immune system. Why the world is so, where the humans come from, etc is not even touched upon. It’s just a sudden reveal of “we were inside an animal all this time” and that’s pretty much it.

Imho it’s a mess. which is a pity because other aspects of the movie are OK.

I saw advertising for it, but nothing about it stood out. The visuals just lacked. any distinct flair. Honestly looking at this, and Lightyear (which also largely overlapped ad timeframe) and you could be forgiven for thinking they were from the same film.

Hey, we watched this last weekend.

Coming to Disney+ on December 23rd as an open title for everyone with a sub.

Watched this on Disney +.

The creature and environmental designs are cool: like Avatar, they designed a whole ecosphere. For people who are into such things, it’s worth a watch for that. And the end reveal is satisfying.

(The actual main characters designs, though, kinda look like they searched “disney pixar human” on the asset store. They are generic in the extreme. Which is a shame, because the story gave them a chance to do something novel and instead they chose the most boring option possible.)

The rest is … rocky. Instead of carefully working backwards from the reveal to make everything leading up to it feel like pieces clicking together, they just kinda crammed things in. There’s a big bumpy patch at the start where they’re introducing a million characters and concepts, and the first five minutes of the movie made me actively hate two of the characters.

Also, the movie never seems to know quite who it’s for - the kid character is presented from an adult’s point of view, so kids won’t relate, and the main adult character is presented as so stodgy and dull that neither kids nor adults are going to want to identify with him. A good movie could be made out of the parts found here, but this is not it.