Stranger of Sword City - Wizardry like

Stranger of Sword City

SO here is a somewhat quirky dungeon crawler in the mold of Wizardry, as seen through the eyes of Japan. It’s not too anime so far, though, so keep that in mind. It also brings a few new things to the formula.

Rolling characters is a bit different. You pick an age from I think 10 to 60. The older you are, the more bonus points you get. The tradeoff is that you get less life points. Outside of the main character, anyone who dies when at zero life points is lost forever. I’m not clear how dangerous it is to have low life points, but the break points in terms of age are 20 (from 3 to 2) and 41 (from 2 to 1). The bonus point range gets pretty big once you pass 40. It’s sort of weird. You can recover life points either resting for a long time back at base or paying large sums of money to do it up front (this is also how ressurection works. You have to wait a bit before the character is brought back or shell out $$ to get it instantly). The main character is not subject to this; you have an immortal soul and cannot be lost.

The game play has quirks. Present is a quick battle system, just repeating the last set of actions you chose. When walking around in one of the game’s dungeons you sometimes see enemies (as stationary pillars of “fire”) and sometimes see items (can appear is a spinning loop, or a chest). But there are still “pop up” encounters. Monsters will drop bits and gewgaws but not equipment. Instead, you find equipment via a new mechanic.

Some special areas in dungeons are designated as ambush locations. Here you can spend divinity points (more on those in a second) to hide and wait for a special type of enemy called a “transporter”. These are elite versions of enemies typically found in the area. They will flee combat after some number of rounds, so killing them is important. If you kill them (there can be more than one), a chest will be left with items in it (I believe killing multiple just increases the # of items in the chest). These are always gear. They can be equivalent to what you can buy in the store. Or they can be more powerful. I’ve seen +s up to 6, and seen a lot of gear I either couldn’t purchase or was way more expensive at the shop. Ambushing is a critical part of the game and allows you to focus on gearing up with, so far, a little less randomness than typically is part of the genre.

Divinity ties into the other brand new mechanic. There are other special monsters in areas called Lineage Monsters. Lore wise, you are one of the few people in the world who can permanently kill them, by claiming their bloodstone after defeating them and then returning the bloodstone to one of the game’s 3 vessels (each representing a faction and. . see below!). Some of the beasts have spawn critieria but I am not very far into this aspect yet (I cleared the 3 out of the starter dungeon, plus one more in another dungeon). Sometimes they appear as part of scripted interactions.

Giving bloodstones to vessels increases your max divinity and gives you some special powers you can use in battle. The two best I currently have are Holy Light I (10% regen for all party members, every round) and Black Wall (phys resist for 1 round, but if you stack it the duration grows by some algebraic formula apparently so repeated castings will make it last significantly longer than 1 round per cast). There’s a shitload more, an entire upgrade tree in fact. This will apparently also tie into the story so I’ll be curious to see how my min maxing makes the plot turn out (fuck your goals, I need powers).

The game can be difficult. There are enemies in each area (the starter and first dungeon I visited, anyway) that will auto rofl-stomp your party. And the RNG seems a bit capricious. I’ve lost a lot of characters (I started over and am doing better now, but I have had to close the app a few times and re-load even in the new playthrough). Also Ambushing has a curious risk/reward mechanic. The first ambush in a given area costs 5 divinity. You can “pass” if you don’t like the look of the monster or chest (you can examine the former, and the latter has a symnbol indicating the type of item, down to weapon types like bow, spear, sword,katana). But the longer you chill out, the greater the chance that you get ambushed in kind (I have never had this happen while waiting for the first encounter). After you do an ambush (regardless of success) the next ambush in that specific area costs a lot more divinity (20) and has a chance of drawing outsized monsters (by way of example the starter dungeon hydra enemy typically shows up level 10-12, but I got him level 19 once). I haven’t pressed my luck much but I want to investigate more. A dungeon will have multiple ambush areas, and leaving resets everything. The HP totals are typical of the Japanese take on the genre: inflated, but often not enough to protect you from nasty enemies without other things in play (e.g. that Black Wall ability).

The low bonus points if you play a young character don’t help. Basically something like 3-7 (and you won’t roll a 7 except over many attempts the rolls are heavily weighted towards the lower amounts). Ther’e’s some debate in discussions on steam about whether favoring bonus points or life points is better. That’s probably a good time to discuss the progression mechanics, which are quite good.

Firstly, you get a single ability point to use to increase stats at every new character level you gain. Each class has a selection of abilities - it’s more varied than Proving Grounds, for sure. Some of these are passive abilities like “Bow Soul”. These allow you yo equip e.g. bows if you change class. Class change costs money and drops your overall character level by some amount. You are then that level for the new class. I’ve done two class changes and these characters got two slots with which to equip abilities they had previously learned (so I had two Rangers switch to cleric and mage respectively and both could wield bows and wear medium armor thanks to equipping those abilities they learned as Ranger). This looks pretty interesting. As you start re-leveling you won’t get new ability points until you surpass your previously max attained character level. I saw something that suggested max char level was 30 but I’m not sure if that is true or not. It’s not enough to max all stats unless you go for an old character with say 17-21+ bonus points. But there are magic items that increase stats so it will be interesting to see how it shakes down.

Note - it’s actually Stranger of Sword City which may be why your Steam item link is broken.

I hadn’t heard of this, thanks for the info. I really like the art style!

Don’t believe that is the case. The link I copied directly from out of the client (via right-click “copy page URL”). I’m not sure why it’s breaking so I just changed to linking on text.

That looks gorgeous. And steam links have been broken on here for nearly a week.

It does look great, and if you guys say it plays well, to the wishlist it goes.

Plus, that’s a Prinny on the far left!!!

I was tempted by this game for a while, but after reading up about it some more, I gave up on the idea. The art style looks great, some of those monsters are fabulous, although it’s a shame they’re mixing styles by adding some below-average anime stuff.

The real problem is that, like most old-school Wizardry-likes, you have to be able to handle a humongous amount of bullshit. I’m sure you think you’re tough, but really, are you up to it? I know I’m not. I don’t have the patience for this anymore.

Lot of random encounters will wipe out your party instantly, but that’s par for the course so far. You’ll have to do a lot of re-rolling characters to get the good stats. New equipment is mostly gotten by ambushing enemies, but what you get is partly random, so you might have to do it again and again and again. Class changing is complicated, and requires precise planning to get what you want, including dragging low level characters along again and again. Characters getting more fragile as they age. Sudden ambushes making you lose 2-4 hours of progress. And grinding, lots of grinding, obviously. Completing the game can take around 170 hours.

The final dungeon is apparently super repetitive and stretches the boundaries of human patience with a cheap gimmick.

I found this review interesting, but it has spoilers:

Sums up the bullcrap most JRPGs seem to have been filled up with, starting around the Playstation 2 area, and which made me allergic to the genre. Thank you very much for the warning.

If you are referring to grind, that certainly wasn’t a new thing in PS2 RPGs.

But I can’t think of a single one - excepting anything like Shiren the Wanderer - that actually used random equipment drops to any significant degree. The defining characteristic of those RPGs, as with most JRPGs, is that loot tends to be fixed in terms of location. You either get it out of a chest in the next dungeon,l or save up to buy it in the next town. Sometimes games went crazy and blended those approaches. From FF to Tales to Grandia to Wild Arms to Dragon Quest(I don’t recall how the DDS games worked off hand so they might have mixed in some random drops but I’m pretty sure it was still tyupical). Very occasionally a game would add a crafting element… Those games are nothing like this game.

I think we are agreeing?
Grind’s proposition assume that you get rewards proportional to the time invested. That was how JRPGs used to work, and how I liked them.
What I am referring to is the slot-machine trend of drops found in more recent titles, which I don’t find rewarding in the slightest (nor do I understand the appeal of slot machines, actually): such games ask you to spent most of your playing time in the slight prospect of “getting” something, and tie your progression to probabilities. I think they got the basic idea from Diablo, but twisted the concept in the worse ways as far I am concerned - and it didn’t get better with the trend of mobile games. It’s personal: this approach prevented me to enjoy so many recent games that I thought could have been good (the Valkyrie Chronicles sequels for instance… aw…), I steer away from games featuring it.

Reminds me I picked this up for the Vita a few weeks ago, haven’t played it yet. It’s also available for the XBox One.

So, I am a ?ways? into this although unsure how ffar. The intitial dungeon gave way to 3 dungeons for each of the 3 different factions. Those I have all but mastered; each of these “tier 2” dungeons directly connects to a tier 3 (which finally got unlocked via plot stuff). I killed all the lineages excepting some in the Palace tier 2 (which is tricksier than the others, by far; I can’t even win the fight to access it’s tier 3, so I’ve officially classified it as the “hardest” of the 3 faction dungeon sets). I am poking slowly into two tier 3s and trying to score some sweet upgrades although I’m mildly disappointed on that front so far. Or perhaps I should say “mechanically, the game went decidedly in a direction I sort of hoped it wouldn’t”. In other words, I really need more upgrades but I don’t know when they are coming.

In the mean time, despite the relatively inflated hp values, it’s not an easy game. I do have to shut it down on occasion (I have 3 characters at 1 life point and don’t want to spend the week or so in-game waiting for them to heal it back up, and death is too inconvenient even with life points). All the hp, and the best gear I can get (so far) still leaves me vulernable to quick deaths in some combats. What’s harder is that it’s not always clear when you’re in over your head. Monster Level is really pretty abstract. I can deal with stuff that’s in the lower 30s. Sometimes these encounters are very dangerous, and it’s not necessarily the encounters where it’s the highest level monsters. Good defenses (as near as I can tell), several protective buff spells, and 500 hp won’t necessarily save you from getting 100 to 0’d. One area I find annoying is that encounters often seem like they designate a front liner as “prime target” and focus that charcter heavily. Healing can’t always keep up, even coming from multiple sources (although it does 90% of the time). So then you’re hoping for some lucky dodges or that you’ve killed enough enemies to reduce the risk.

The front line is all Samurai 13/Knight 14-15. They’re the only class changes so far. They all dropped to 6 when I switched (at Sam 13). The back line are all in their original classes (Ranger, Cleric, Wizrd). The Wizard is the big loser so far. Both casters have ~100 sp at level 17 or 18. The Wizard can blow through his mana in a single combat with no trouble. Whereas the cleric gets some relief from smart divinity use (both Holy Light’s party heals 10% damage per round and the ones that mitigate types of damage). Also cleric gets a skill that will occasionally restore mp while walking around. It’s actually quite useful in extended delves. Can’t wait to switch the mage to cleric just to get it.

Anyway the mage spells do ok damage. There’s a skill that enhances your magic for the current battle (and the mage has two gear on that do the same), but frequently your best case scenario is doing about 40% of a single row’s hp (per monster). That’s great, but at a cost of 7 or 11 mp it’s not something you can do that often. Especially when it’s often less damage. Or you use High Cast, which double casts (but it’s double the mp). Apparently the later mage damage spells are radically more effective so it iwll pay off. But there is not a lot of “fall bakc on lower level spells that are still effective”, a la wizardry. The low mp gains feel like they’re a direct resulr of the game being very class-change centric, but we’ll see. Incidentally the front liners continued to gain great hp when re-leveling levels they had previously gained. Whether that’s because the class in question has better HD, or because it’s just how it works, remains to be seen but I believe it is the latter and MP will work the same way.

Where I’m a bit stuck is that I’m only finding hammer weapon upgrades so far and it’s been harder to judge their efficacy (since I use lots of quick combat). It sounds like melee need a bit of class changing to get really good. I’m not going to follow my guide’s crazy Sam -> Knight -> Fighter -> Dancer -> ninja-> caster process. I’m probably going into Ninja at fighter 21 but we’ll see. There’s a few great Knight abilities on the way to, and at, level 21. Anyway offense trumps defense in this game, clearly.

The other mild annoyance is that I was able to use teleportation when exploring the latter parts of the Tier 2s. But now I have to teleport there and walk to the tier 3s. You can auto-move (and it picks up after combat, a la Etrian Odyssey) but it still gets on my nerves a little. Need more teleport points.

I’m headikng back to the initial Tier 3 I explored I’ve been ignoring for a bit to see if I can get some weapon upgrades there, because I barely touched ambushing therein.

So far it’s decent but IMO it lacks some of Wizardry’s charm, or the D.W. Bradley games’ mechanical awesomeness. And it feels like the high hp totals were an attempt to balance by throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks.

Bundlestars has this on sale for $16.

Worth it at that price or should I just grab Grimoire tomorrow?

Though seriously, I do want to know if this (Stranger of Sword City) is worth picking up at some point. It looks fun, but it also seems incredibly easy to bounce right off of, too.

I had fun with the XB1 version. Decent dungeon crawler, and you can play it now instead of like, never with Grimoire.

It’s been on my wishlist since release. I may as well snap it up at 16 magic beans.

That’s $16 down the drain.

I just found out that a)there’s no English manual or tutorial and, worse, b)you can only save outside a dungeon.

What kind of dungeon crawler in 2017 doesn’t respect the players time enough to let him or her save anywhere?

And Bundlestars doesn’t offer refunds. Gah.

Shit man, sorry, but thanks for falling on that grenade for the rest of us.

At least you didn’t drop $40 to find that out.

My advice? Give it a try anyway - maybe the design is such that dying in the dungeon isn’t really a big deal?

It’s not so much a fear of dying as the time commitment. Am I going to have to grind my way through the same encounters over and over because I can’t complete a dungeon in a single session?

I’ll read some of the guides on the Steam page and give it a fair shot, since I’m out the $, but feel like I already wasted an hour because I never made it to a save point.

I know the XB1 version had an in-game tutorial that walked you through the intro area as well as getting you set up with the whole base concepts. If memory serves, you could only save in the city