Strategy & Tactics : Dark Ages

Last night I started the third scenario. Part of what I like about this game is that objectives are added mid-scenario and change your entire strategy. For example, in the third scenario I started out with a simple enough task, eliminate a religious cult faction that had risen up in the territories I had just conquered in the previous scenario. The catch was that the cult had destroyed both bridges leading to their provinces, creating a small “island” of sorts, and the only way to assail them was to go all the way around and ford the river at a low point on the opposite side from where their main castle was located.

One of the optional objectives was to quell this uprising within 10 turns, so I poured all my efforts and resources into two out of my three generals, and sent them to the ford and into cult territory. Meanwhile, all the other factions were either allied with me or neutral, so I didn’t have to worry about attacks on multiple fronts. No sooner had I stepped into cult territory though, then a separate uprising occurred, taking out 3 out of the 4 towns/castles of my ally all at once and putting several large armies on the map that were instantly hostile to me. New objectives appeared : put down the rebellion and capture it’s leaders.

Since I was already committed to eliminating the cultists in 10 turns, I forged ahead, watching as my own lands were slowly taken by the rebels. To add insult to injury, not long after the rebels appeared, Norse Raiders appeared along the river and began capturing some of my territories as well. New objectives appeared again, defeat these Raiders. At this point, I thought I was truly screwed and almost started over. But, I did hold the town and castle of the former cultists, and even though I had two weakened armies and a third general with ZERO troops, I was fairly isolated and safe up on the “island” the cultists had created. I had a small but steady income from those provinces, and figured maybe I could turtle up for a bit and see what happened,

That strategy worked, as soon the rebels and the raiders ran into one another and weakened each other. I combined all my remaining forces under one general, and sent him to the ford. Meanwhile I slowly used the meager income from my handful of provinces to recruit a second army over several turns. Once the second army was ready, I sent both my armies across the ford to recapture my former capital town. The rebels had only one army nearby, weakened from defeating raiders, so I was able to take back my town and hold it. During those turns I saved up enough money to purchase a fourth general, this one with the ability to build Storehouses in certain provinces. Storehouses provide 10 additional income each, and that adds up very quickly over several turns.

It took around 30 turns of careful money management and sweating out some close battles, but by turn 40ish I had a steady income from Storehouses and recaptured territory, had rebuilt 3 strong armies, and was working on a 4th. From there it was only a matter of strategic forward movement and the proper application of a couple of mercenary armies, and victory was mine around turn 65. In the meantime I had completed every single optional objective, for a total of over 1100 Glory.

It was after midnight. I’d planned to play for about an hour at 10:00. So yeah, Strategy & Tactics : Dark Ages is one of those games…