Street Fighter 5 - Hundred hand slap

Oh, in the past week or so, modders on PC forced Capcom to finally fix their netcode problems somewhat, so the netplay is now better than it ever has been.

what happened was modders on PC made it where PC to PC netcode was as good as anything in the business, but it wrecked crossplay. Capcom couldn’t have that continue, so they had to do some work.

It started with Altimore’s patch, which came out about a month ago. Apparently he found a very simple fix that would slow down your game if you were getting ahead of the other player’s simulation. It wasn’t perfect but it was far better than the constant skipping and rollback you would get normally.

It became kind of a nightmare though, because if you had the patch and someone else didn’t, they would be the one experiencing all the unplayable rollback - as well as ps4 users who had no way of installing the patch.

To make matters even more confusing, someone modified altimore’s patch so that it would play nice with people without the patch, except now if you were using the 2nd patch, and someone else was using the first patch, you would get a terrible experience.

Capcom fixed it by verifying game files and forcing you to use their new fix which seems to be mostly inspired by the patch.

I think capcom avoided a bullet here - they could have easily had a mass capcom revolt/boycott on their hands if they reacted poorly to this. And with rumors that street fighter VI is going to be developed the last thing they want is to piss off a huge portion of the fanbase.

The one-sided rollback still happens a bit, but not massively. Beforehand, it was PC users getting all the rollback, as it happens to folks with the more powerful system.

The PC patch let console users see what PC users had been suffering with for years.

There are a few haters of the change, but was always going to be the case.

Well I made it to Gold and I still don’t know how to play this game. 766 ranked matches.

I’m still using Ken. I just play super defensively and bait out stuff I can punish. I literally only use a few buttons, run cancel, throw, jump-ins, and the two target combos. I almost never activate v-trigger and I can’t combo into critical art reliably.

I think I’m going to take a step back and try to work new stuff into my game. I tell myself to do that each match but I’ve been so locked into watching my opponent that I forget.

I’m definitely on the slow boat here, but I finally got out of Bronze after a mere 5 years of playing fighting games.

8F7D5A98-AD7F-45D1-9427-A54F4993598B_1_201_a

Woohoo! Now they can shut down the game and release Street Fighter 6.

Yep! Time to retire SF5!

What’s the best platform to play on these days? Every time this thread pops up it makes me want to pick it up again. And especially now that my main SF4 girl Rose is in the game I might actually do it for once. I have it on both PS4 and PC.

PS4 online play is more active than PC last I looked but PC is more flexible?

PS4/PS5 can be crossplay with PC so you’re good either way tbh.

Street Fighter 6 logo on the left. $80 Adobe marketplace logo on the right.

Capcom is so frustratingly cheap that it’s almost endearing.

I used to love fighting games, starting with Street Fighter 2, but for the last decade I just bounce right off them.

I realized what fighting games need isn’t just a stronger narrative that gives a reason for the fighting, but what if there was a fighting game that played like a Slay the Spire roguelike - where the enemies were randomized and different each run, after every fight (and some events/shops/etc.) you could pick from a selection of cool new moves to add to your repertoire, maybe different characters to pick that had their own pool of moves and abilities as well, and as you played you went from a Slay the Spire style map from node to node, picking your path and choosing between things like events, battles, mini-boss battles, resting, shops to buy equipment and other goodies from?

That means the actual combat would be a cool fighting game with blocks, dodges, and evasions and moves and counter moves that you develop slowly (not card based like Slay the Spire - I’m thinking like you have a fighter who has cool Dragon Style Kung Fu and he just learned Dragon Breath so if you rapidly tap the punch button he would do a E. Honda style Breath attack!) and the enemies are static and once you learn them you know how to counter them and that sort of thing. Your health would not replenish between fights so you’d have to manage that as a resource, and as you play you can unlock more characters and moves for existing characters. But also outfits! And also passive abilities, like the Dragon Style character could have a passive that makes his fire damage more efficient/powerful, and most of his particular cards are themed around fire. I’d play the shit out of that kind of Fighting game.

Check out the Mr.X Nightmare DLC for Streets of Rage 4. It’s obviously a brawler rather than a 1v1 fighting game, but otherwise pretty similar to that.

I predict SF6 will look beautiful but not feel quite right to the diehards. That’s what happened with DMC5 when they went photorealistic. The lead designer tried to deal with it but it wasn’t perfect. Maybe they’ve learned?

Not if we have the teaser footage to judge by and their direction from IV to V. MORE ROIDS!

Sounds a lot like the River City Ransom model.

River City Girls is basically that, as was Double Dragon Neon. You start with a very slow/limited move set, and gradually unlock additional moves as you go by visiting shops. It’s not random drops, but there are 2 (4 after unlocks) characters with different movesets that you need to walk through.

I’m not aware of anything with a specific 1:1 fighting game format that does that. Some of the SoulCalibur single player modes might.

SoR4 Mr. X Nightmare does a little bit with that, but your core moveset doesn’t expand, and the difficulty scaling is mediocre and based around enemy speed and numbers, so it eventually just devolves into abusing I-frames.

Also, God Hand, which is criminally hard to play these days.

I find a lot of fighting games nowadays are just overly complicated. Super Street Fighter 2 started that trend and the move list just keeps growing. SF4 probably is peak complication already with the focus attack dash cancel. SF5 started simpler but now it is another bloated mess.

I wonder what SF6 will be like.

What one person calls overcomplicated another calls just right.

My idea of perfect complication level is Soul Calibur or KOF… Blazblue is overcomplicated for me.