Streets of Rogue - How I provoked a zombie invasion in middle of 2d Deus Ex

The Comedian is a joke. Pun intended, heh heh.

First, his ability is just telling jokes. And second, as a class concept he is indeed a joke, because he is totally pray RNGJesus. Tell a joke, and people around you randomly will like you or be annoyed with you. Have luck and they will even follow you for free, have bad luck and they will turn hostile. That’s it.

While this may sound horrible, in reality the odds are tilted towards the positive side, so it’s totally possible to play with him. Turning a npc rep into ‘loyal’ to you has many advantage, from home owners allowing you enter, to shoppers with safes given you the key, to random npcs helping in fights. Add to that the random goon or gang member that offers himself to follow you and sometimes you can pass to the next floor with zero effort.

What the player has to do really is to always formulate a backup plan in case the next joke provokes a negative reaction, and you suddenly have to run away or fight. That’s the crux of the class, if that happens in the worst moment it can happen, if may screw you royally.

The Scientist has been somewhat disappointing. It’s interesting how he doesn’t have any special ability, just an unique starting loadout and Big Quest, and from there you are free to pursue your way of playing.
The issue is in the balance. He reminds me of a Hacker, but being underpowered instead of OP. Like the hacker he is knocked away in combat a lot and like him he has poor combat stats and can use the computer hidden commands.

But the scientist doesn’t have the rest of awesome hacking powers nor is able to do it remotely. Even worse, he has worse speed stat than the Hacker, and suffers because of it.
What does he have, then? Well, apart from double xp/enmity from Gorillas, he can identify all drugs. But as I said before, his real ace in the hole is his starting loadout, he starts with a collection of rare tech weapons:

See that water pistol? It’s a unique weapon, he can load it up with any drug, and he will have five shots with that effect. So you can apply slow, confuse or poison to anyone. Not only that, that has to be used for his Big Quest, where he receives a random drug in a crate (usually near the exit point), and has to use it against a specific npc type, to then study the specimen with the the research gun. Which can be super annoying because sometimes npcs will turn hostile when you shot them, even with some positive effect.
The Ghost Gibber is nice to against ghosts, when you see a graveyard you can destroy the tombs, it will spawn ghosts that drop ~$20 each. The leafblower can be used to push people into poisoned lakes, fire traps, mines, etc.

The idea is having to use a combination of quirky weapons with effects and drugs to combat, but it’s easier said than done. I guess if you are veteran you may able to perfectly use his strengths, me? In four runs I never reached Downtown. He has some tools to use, but I found the combination of slow, small hp pool and said tools being not related to acting remotely or stealthily to be too much for me.

Er… I guess this isn’t going to be very PC, but I have to say, Being a SlaveMaster shouldn’t be this fun!
The concept is easy to understand, you have a taser (infinite ammo, but have a 10s CD), you can tase someone and then capture him putting a slave collar with your special ability; You can have up to three slaves. Now, the fun part:
-Slaves are free followers. You can capture a few, and send them to attack someone, even if they die just capture more.
-Want to loot a safe? capture the owner and ask for the keys. Need to kill a target? Capture him and send him into a suicide mission.
-However slaves lack motivation, and lots of times won’t defend you if someone attack you, unless you give them direct attack orders. Lazy bums!
-Want to blow up a hole in a wall or kill a group or something? Just send a slave into position and hit the killswitch! All current slaves will blow up. Only can be used up to three times per floor.
-However the slavemaster suffers of the incomprehension of the people of the land. Capturing someone has a chance to provoke ‘annoyed’ into any npc that sees you.
-Even worse, a few people seems to hate slavers and will turn hostile upon seeing you. A bit like with the Comedian, a random npc starting combat in the worst moment can be a potential game over.
-Finally, there is a small chance that some slaves try to free himself and attack you (in this moment the killswitch is useful! just put some distance). In one run I had captured a soldier who a grenade on hand, thinking it would be good in combat, but two minutes later he liberated himself and blew me up with the grenade…

His Big Quest is enslaving a specific npc class in each floor and delivering to the exit or entrance. Overall I had a blast, sending my little suicide squads, or having to free someone from the police jail only to enslave him and send him away (lol), or tasing someone who was walking on the train line, paralyzing him until it gibbed him.

Thanks god the cartoony, almost comedy-zany style of the game makes it to be very distant from the real world setting.

Oh yeah, one more thing. On hindsight, the Dominions reference was ace: both games use the same trick for the end, where you convert into the new Pantrokrator/are the new mayor, time happens and you ascend and leave the world/turn corrupt like the previous mayors so the cycle starts again.

Dominions is a little daunting comparison. Even with Bruce Geryk help it’s hard to wrap your head around what’s happening. And it’s not a game you play casually. Streets of Rogue feels perfect for a casual play if you feel like it. I understand that most mutators that make the game easier like slowing down the game do not even affect your progression. So you can make the game as relaxing as you want.

I was noting a curious similitude in a small point, not really arguing that they are similar games lol.

Naturally. It’s just thread title scared me earlier.

I think this is a good summary of why I enjoyed the game for a solid 5 hour stretch and then dropped it hard after unlocking a bunch of classes. The systems work well together, but the unlock system that’s this game’s form of progression was quickly overwhelming. Mutators, perks, default loadouts, everything is customizable which is a nice selling point… but in practice for someone who is trying to figure out the game it’s simply too much choice.

That said, I can easily see myself jumping back in if the mood strikes me and dumping another small bucket of hours in. They’ve really done a great job in creating a world with a bunch of interdependent systems that you can approach in different ways to complete quests.

I totally feel this, too, especially with the traits and rewards. I feel like I should be adjusting all this stuff for each run, but now I’ve just let it go and play more like a Rogue, where you just get random stuff and random traits. (Of course, I now end up getting killed a lot more for some reason and rage quitting, so I don’t know if I’ve really figured anything out…)

Lol, I still haven’t bothered in adjusting anything and I have played for more than 40 hours. I have everything selected and just pick whatever I feel appropriate of the tree choices.

You don’t really need to min-max to finish the game. When I lose it’s usually because I made a stupid mistake, not because I wasn’t be as efficient as I could be.

I haven’t finished the game (only made it to Downtown once) but it certainly doesn’t seem like you need to play around with any of the traits or mutators to get through it just fine. That’s really just there to fine tune the experience and make it as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

The Firefighter, or the Duality of Man : Do you hate or love the fire? Yes.

He is an interesting class as a concept, but in reality I think it’s still missing something, apart that he needs a bit of a buff, He is on the weak side.

His main ability is a water cannon he can use to douse fires, he will need it mainly for his Big Quest, where arsonists appear randomly and try to burn down stuff, you have to extinguish the fires and kill them quickly. I found this Big Quest to be a pain in the ass, sometimes they act when you are in a dangerous situation and the fire can spread faster than you think, apart that you don’t know what to give priority, if to try to kill him first or douse the fire.

But, how this help you to actually do quests or in combat? Barely at all. The water cannon can push people so the theory is, you can use it to push people to traps, but it isn’t as strong as the leafblower in that regard, it’s hard to do anything useful with it.

He can recruit extra followers but you don’t have any special way to obtain them (not even fellow firefighters) so it’s pretty meh. His main perk is that owners of buildings that have a fire will allow you to pass, so you are supposed to really be another arsonists, starting fires, stealing shit, then extinguishing them. This ability is nice to have, but not that great, the tools to start a fire occupy inventory space and need to pay for new recharges.

And that’s it, he actually plays kinda like a vainilla character, with an annoying big quest, and his ability is limited to solve that quest.

The Mobster is a bit more interesting, you again can have a squad of followers, but this time it makes more sense, as it will enhance other abilities.
Because he main thing is to able to extort money to any civilian npc and shoppers, using both a ‘shake down’ and a ‘extort’ dialogue. Most npcs give a pittance, but some like upper-crusters give a nice amount. Two things can happen when you use the shake down action in the dialogue, they accept it and become ‘submissive’ or they rebel and attack you.
If they become submissive, it’s good because it’s like they were loyal, you can ask them several things and they will comply with a 100% success rate, not only that, with doing it in one building owner, all the rest become submissive.
If they attack you, if they are normal npcs it’s just normal combat, if they were shoppers, they will stop and become submissive after receiving an amount of damage, so they care of not killing them!

And the squad of followers? The more members you have, and the bigger their weapons (yours too) the success rate for the shake down action will be higher. And you can win a lot of money, not only they give it in that moment, you have a ‘revenue’ value that is paid to you when you switch floors.
In exchange, you have to pay up the cops, and the amount needed goes climbing up slowly. Still, I found that what you gain is enough to offset that payment so it’s not a big flaw. If you don’t pay super cops will spawn on the next floor.

Finally, the Shapeshifter is the last non-DLC class. In this game, a shapeshifter is some kind of small (and quick!) alien homunculus with the ability of possess anyone. So he is really the class for expert players, pretty fun to play, but you need to really know all the previous classes, and to know what do you obtain with each one.
For example, if you posses a thief you gain his ability of stealing money, but he won’t have his tools of the trade as that’s normal inventory, instead he will still have the normal relationship with the factions, so he won’t be able to enter in establishment.
Possessing a doctor will gain the hankie but again the other traits that don’t allow him to use weapons.

So any and all classes are tools in your toolbox, and it’s very fun to play around with the relationships: you can possess the door goon to enter in a protected building, or possess someone to have a group of ‘loyal’ members to defend you in a fight. Again, you also have the potential bad parts, like if you are a Crepe, the Blahs will attack you.

In addition, this sheer flexibility is balanced with being persecuted by security forces on sight, in your original form, and additionally you have a very low hp (possessed npcs have half the normal hp!).

His Big Quest is about that of course, and it’s pretty fun, you have to kill a class with another class, like ‘kill cop while being a goon’, or ‘kill bouncer while being a gorilla’.

I finished! :P

Excellent work, @TurinTur. It’s always fun to see someone who knows a game really well doing a deep dive into the bits and pieces! Thanks for doing all those. I feel like they should be arranged into a wiki or something.

-Tom

The interesting thing here is that, just like in Necrodancer or Slay the Spire, not all classes are balanced or equal, nor do they need to be. You can choose whichever class you feel like playing, and the difficulty level will be different based on that class. It’s not a big deal because you’re not using any particular class for a long time – just long enough to possibly beat the game.

Unlocked the Zombie last night and had a chance for a couple of runs before bed. Very nice! Not sure it’s my favorite (if only because I’ve got quite a few still to test), but it’s a ton of fun and a wonderful change of pace from the others.

Yeah, zombie is not very ‘deep’ but it’s fun to rampage around.

I got the zombie yesterday, too. Lots of fun, although when I switched back to the shopkeeper, it was a disaster, because I kept wanting to kill everything—or at least “tag” it.

After playing this for a bit… it kind of have the same flaw Watch Dog Legions, the strategies to win are kinda simple. It also make me wish the map where bigger and where a bit more dwarf-fortress ish.

You now have the game on Gamepass PC.

I was playing this over the weekend, 3 player couch co-op on the Switch.

For some reason the d-pad shortcuts didn’t work for any of us like they do in single player. Is that a known thing? It was pretty inconvenient…

The dev is trucking along in the development of SoR2. Not this year I think, but maybe 2023?

Honestly, this feels way too ambitious and unconstrained, specifically the open world part. I would have appreciated simply tackling the weakest part of the first game, which is the limited number of possible tasks to do.