Stupid Gaming Hardware Tricks

Dear sweet lord they’re beautiful

Interest USB gadget that connects an HDMI to whatever dongle, where the whatever is a console controller connector. This lets me play retro games with the original controller via USB! There are several solutions for this of course.

It’s a nice view from File Explorer!

Wait, we can have an a: drive again?

Yup! You can assign A: and B:. I used to have a microSD card reader assigned to B:, but I removed the Thunderbolt dock because I wasn’t using most of its features.

One other handy thing I do… assign both a drive letter and a path on C:\ to each additional drive. For example:
Archives A: C:\Archives
Games G: C:\Games

This can be done from an administrator command prompt using DISKPART.EXE. Commands look like:

list volume
select volume 2
assign letter=A
assign mount=C:\Archives

The benefit of this is having a consistent presentation on multiple computers. My work PC doesn’t have the additional drives - but by creating a dummy C:\Archives folder on it I maintain consistency. Both for me and some tools I use with cloud synced configuration.

I’m impressed. Your 3 8TB SSDs are definitely a stupider hardware trick than my external RAID 0 drive for my PS4.

This month’s entry brought to us by the N64 Goldeneye development team. One of the game’s control schemes allowed you to use two controllers to have two analog sticks to control your character!

That controller config was called “domino”, and it was the only way to play the game.

If you want to use your Elite 2 on Switch or PS4 there’s a new accessory for you.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/43268489/

OK, probably not a gaming trick per se - unless you need a second display for Discord.