Stupid Gaming Hardware Tricks

I really wanted to play Persona 5 Royal. After using the Xbox One controller almost exclusively for a few years now I found my hands getting cramped up after just 30 minutes with the Playstation’s DualShock 4. I wanted to play with an Xbox controller.

1. Install Playstation Remote Play on my Windows 10 laptop. Connect to PS4 and configure for best resolution and framerate.
  2. Install the latest vigem.org bus driver release from here.
  3. Install the VDX sample app from here.
  4. On vdx EXE -> right-click -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI settings -> Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: System (enhanced).
  5. Turn on Xbox Controller paired with Windows 10.
  6. Run VDX app. Press “Connect” for Player 1 and set Emulation Type to “DualShock 4 Controller”.
  7. Run RemotePlay and play!

I’m surprised it worked at all, let alone this easily.

Nice. It worked for me. I tried it with the 360 controller first, and it handles that just fine. I’m guessing I’ll run into problems when a game uses the DS4 trackpad though. I remember Killzone 4 used the trackpad as a button, so maybe that can just be mapped to the back button, but there were a couple of games I played where the left half of the trackpad is one button, and the right half is a different button.

Yeah, it isn’t required for Persona 5 at all, but I did think about the touchpad being an issue. There’re ways to re-map the vigem configuration, but they all seem to require Powershell commands. I haven’t gotten that far with it.

I did experiment with a few other solutions. One is using a controller with the Brook Xbox One Adapter. It acts as a battery pack while adding the ability to pair with PS4, Switch, PC, or Xbox wirelessly. It worked, but is confusing to manage.

There is also Titan Two, which would allow programming the controller to do any number of things - including the touchpad. The Titan Two itself needs to be connected to the PS4 with a genuine PS4 controller - but the Xbox controller can talk to it wirelessly. Since I didn’t need the programmability I didn’t bother.

I have a feeling this has more to do with the placement of the control sticks than the size of the controller:

Quite possibly. I also got cramped using the Switch’s Pro controller, but that took much longer.

At the end of the day the Xbox controller is superior feeling to me versus any of the other controllers available now. Glad I found a way to enjoy it on PS4 too!

To be clear, you’re still playing on your TV, right? You’re just using the PC as a middle-man to tell the PS4 you’re using a dualshock.

There’s an easy alternative if you’re willing to pay forty buckaroos.

I always play games from my Windows 10 laptop on my TV. And yes, I’m using the PC to trick the PS4 into using the Xbox controller.

I mentioned above a different Brook accessory. This one requires the Xbox controller to be wired if I read their website correctly. They’re based in Taiwan I think it is - really shows in the web site and documentation unfortunately.

Ahh, so you did. Yep, but it reportedly works.

In my case, I play on my PC. The TV is usually being used by my son to watch his kid youtube videos. So the only way to play PS4 or XB1 games anymore is to play them on the PC through streaming.

For what it’s worth I found streaming from the Xbox One to be a much worse experience. The games still seemed to be running in HDR but the stream was SDR, making the colors wonky. The stream also lagged out randomly, causing pixelation.

My Xbox isn’t capable of HDR, and neither is my TV, so I don’t have that problem.

Ahh OK. Well that will definitely work, but what’s cool is you can supposedly use the xbone controller while playing on your TV with remote play running on the PC as a middle-man.

Brooks Accessory has a new Wingman XE adapter that enables Xbox controllers - including the Adaptive Controller! - to connect to the PS4. No PS4 controller is requires and it connects wirelessly via Bluetooth or wired.

It is available on Amazon.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/87495367/

I hate you.

WOW. Hard core! You’ve got the sequential shifter and the gated variety. Now you need a hardware handbrake :-)

Well I was joking. Now I’m just jealous :-)

This is the Sparco branded shifter / e-brake Thrustmaster makes.
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tss-handbrake-sparco-mod-0

How much SSD is too much? There are several 8TB models coming!

None. There is no too much.

I finished upgrading the storage on my laptop. Now I can install half my Steam library. At most.