Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Huh. I made it all through the game without killing a single thing. Didn’t even feel a need to.

I need lessons. Those things are the bane of my existence - especially in the caves on the weapon island. I always miss hitting them, they whittle me down to almost no health very quickly. I think it’s because I’ll be carrying the flashlight, see them, then switch to the thermoblade and they just disappear. I’m swiping and flailing all around and they just keep biting me.

Not even a bladderfish on your first play through? You’d need to hightail it to an island & start eating the fruits.

btw - there was a thread on the steam forums for 100% vegetarian run ;-) It got closed down, as it was somewhat trollish, but there were some honest attempts at trying to do it.

I deal with those crabs by launching them with the propulsion cannon.

Whelp. UW announced the other day that they’ve handed development of the Xbox version over to Panic Button, a porting house responsible for Warframe on the Switch, among other things. Apparently they’re pretty good, so that makes me happy. They haven’t done anything on the game since the official PC release in January, and I’d like to finish playing through it.

They also announced that PB would also be porting it to the PS4- something they’ve never talked about in the past. This makes me worry a little. I don’t care that the PS4 is getting a former Xbone ‘exclusive’, but that they might hold the Xbone version back for a simultaneous release, which has happened for a few games on Xbox Game Preview. I get that their marketing dollars go farther when they can just promote one release date for consoles in general, but we’ve payed into the development already, and the code is obviously much farther along. It’d bum me out to have to wait even longer.

Any news on when the arctic biome is coming out?

I didn’t look (I just want the base game, dammit!), but I did see people in the comments thread saying ‘next year’. I have no idea if that’s official or not.

Finished Subnautica over the weekend and it was fantastic. I put it on hiatus for a good while because I missed an (obvious) area I was meant to find that clued me in on the next story beat so I was lost for a long time. Glad I picked it back up!

My only real ding was the requisite resource trafficking involved in crafting games (something that generally puts me off them). It’s not a major issue because travelling was often enjoyable in its own right but it added a lot of time to my playthrough (and I was organised to ensure it didn’t happen much) which wasn’t nearly as exciting as tentatively exploring the unknown and piecing together the world and what happened in it. That’s what kept me going. The crafting busywork got tiresome at times so I’ve no idea how people cope with anything more involved like No Man’s Sky or whatever! Bleurgh!

It’s a gorgeous game in its own right too with some brilliant sound design. It was shocking to finish the game and the credits last less than 2 minutes because it’s a small development team. You just forget. For AAA you’ve got to take the evening off to see the credits through. I think Unknown Worlds are punching way above their weight in this regard. Looking forward to the DLC now.

I managed to get my Cyclops down in the belly of the planet to investigate the alien lab which was very cool. I love that the finale was saving a species which in turn would save the planet. I think the whole story held together really well and the final moment before the game dumps you back at the title screen had me laughing. ‘Welcome home to Alterra. Permission to land will be granted once you have settled your outstanding balance of one trillion credits.’

Some of the tech/gear is nigh on useless, or at least useful for only a brief time. I also didn’t like that some of the most useful upgrades were locked behind materials that you could only get in the abyssal trench, where said upgrades would have been most useful! I’d loved to have had the jump pack for the PRAWN suit for my descent but there was no way I was going back to craft it. And what was the silent running facility for on the Cyclops? I never used it!

To answer your question re: silent running: if significantly reduces the range at which leviathans detect you. The simpler way to deal with them, though, is to simply shut off power when they come at you and wait for them to wander off.

I did both things when moving past the ghosts and dragons in the deep areas; never actually encountered a reaper in my play-through.

Ohhh okay, thanks. I was able to almost completely avoid them or keep sufficient distance at least. I was attacked in my Cyclops once by a Sea Dragon and even then was able to escape without too much fire and damage. I encountered Reapers the most and lost a Seamoth to one! (Quit/reload!)

Such an awesome game. It’s one of the few that I’d count as having an absolutely positive value when it comes to bringing up my kids. No violence, no fascist bullcrap about fighting being the only way to deal with the dangerous other, just curiosity and compassion and clever inquisitiveness that saves the day in the end.

This game got a lot right in my book. A shining example.

On the other hand, you can build a Prawn and just drill the **** out of the leviathans. Right in their faces.

With Silent Running active and moving ahead slow, I could pass right in front of the Sea Dragon without provoking it. Neat, and very nerve-wracking.

Crap, I saw this thread bumped, and hoped that meant there was need on the new company finally finishing the Xbox port. I want to get back to it so much!

I want news on the expansion!

Ask, and I shall receive! It’s happening!

And PS4 on the same date, too, but I don’t want to talk about that. I’m so excited to play this again, through to the end this ttime.

Would love to hear some impressions of the final release. I played the game preview a long time ago and the frame rate was so bad I just decided to sit back and wait until it was done.

It is awesome.

It’s great on pc now.

I didn’t specify, but I’m interested in the Xbox release.