Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Still on the fence here. Played and finished the first with much stress. Loved and hated it all in = parts. Imagine Grem misadventures underwater…

Ark-tier misadventures? That could be a Netflix series!

I loved this game for 30-40 hours but felt like it became overwhelming very quickly after that. Once I had to start using the submarine, but it’s batteries were quickly dying, and I was getting attacked by monsters I couldn’t defeat, and needed to go hundreds of meters below water, I just stopped playing.

Hopefully Below Zero has a more gradual and forgiving progression

It’s not completed yet, but the beta plays similarly. It can be more difficult, or at least it is for me. I’m sure the balance will come for 1.0 or perhaps a bit after initial feedback.

Well, you were pretty damn close to finishing the game.

I didn’t use the Cyclops as anything other than mobile storage. The whole game is easiest in the Prawn once you… improve its mobility with a certain upgrade. I think if I had felt the need to actually try and pilot the Cyclops in the final depths I might have abandoned the game as well, cause it is not fun to pilot.

My only real complaint with the game was the end felt a bit grindy compared to the rest of the game, which had a nice progression in my mind. I’m really looking forward to the expansion, but I’m going to wait on it until release.

I fired this up the other day and noticed none of my mods are working. And the workshop is gone from steam? (there was a steam workshop wasn’t there?)

When the base game - particularly Unity itself - gets updates, it often breaks QModManager and sometimes the mods that depend on it.

I don’t think there was ever Workshop support. Or formal mod support for that matter.

I used the cyclops more for transport. Would motor over my drop zone then drop down with the prawn. Other then that i am with most folks hated the cyclops with a passion.

I got pretty good at the cyclops and actually thought it was pretty fun to drive :P That being said, you don’t actually need anything but the seamoth to 900 to finish the game.

Prawn is nice if you are kind of building multiple bases etc, but you can do everything you need to do down deep with the reinforced suit and a couple of air tanks once you know your way around.

First playthrough, Cyclops is great as a mobile base, and there are multiple ways down to the real depths, some are much trickier than others to navigate.

I’m not surprised, and I might go back to it later, but it all just felt so overwhelming. I was at the point where I needed such specific and rare materials that I had to resort to a wiki for everything, and build forward operating bases, and other stuff that just felt tedious.

Same. I loved switching between all the cameras when navigating tight spaces. That said, I played a lot of Guns of Icarus Online and I’m loving Sea of Thieves (again) so I must have a thing for piloting large unwieldy vessels.

I loved piloting the Cyclpos, and I never even used the cameras. It was all about the 3d-sonar thing- hit it for a second, adjust, repeat. That first descent into the chasm, trying to find your way in the dark, so as to not attract attention. Holy shit.

Has Below Zero been announced to be coming to consoles?

Weird. I have this memory of downloading a bunch of mods from the workshop. Maybe it was a dream. Anyways some of my mods seem to be broken now after reinstalling Qmod. Stupid update.

Thank you so much Skipper. Normally I’d wait to play a game until it’s totally cooked, but seeing how I have a difficult surgery coming up, I think I’m going to play before it :)

Is the original game still being patched? I just played it through for the first time over the last couple weeks, and found it playable, but still buggy as hell. Inventory screens failing to display, animations not playing, the Prawn suit constantly getting stuck in the floor of facilities, inscrutable base-building rules, fish swimming around inside my base, etc.

It had a patch not too long ago but I don’t know the long term status of bug chasing and patching with it. They post their Farvo timelines but I don’t think it’s public after release. Your best bet would probably be sharing anything specific on their forum, especially as their might be known issues or workarounds for some of them.

Of the ones you mentioned I’ve only seen the fish in base bug (also external plants in base.) I’m assuming it’s buried somewhere in their code because it’s happened for a long time. Another that was common but supposedly fixed was falling out of the cyclops (as though you were in air, not water.) I could have sworn I saw that one was patched.

Oh yeah, I had the falling out of Cyclops bug as well. Also a floor in my base that became non-physical after some construction. Fortunately a save-load fixed that.

As much as I love this game and I’ve replayed it a number of times, it is a buggy mess. You didn’t mention the clipping into the Aurora where you get stuck and can’t get out and I’m surprised you haven’t been hit with the “can’t get through an opening you could before” bug that was introduced with the latest patch. It became game breaking to the point where I quit my latest playthrough and I don’t think I’ll even buy sub zero because despite many, many people complaining, they can’t even be bothered with responding.

I have zero faith these guys can make a game that isn’t a bug riddled mess.

I had the falling out of your cyclops happen more then once. Most times resulting in death. I did have one instance where i managed to land on the cyclops and repel back inside. I should of taken screen shots of that one haha