Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

I will worry about that if and when it happens, at present all is fine and plays nicely.

So, you are saying that if I start now, when 1.0 comes out, I will not have to start a new world?

Yeah that’s what I read and that’s why I’m playing now, it wasn’t an official post though so please don’t blame me if you do!

I can wait a few more days just to be sure.

I guess I know what Ill be doing this weekend then.

Exactly.

Catching up on this thread a bit, how are you doing now, Reemul? I’ll be restarting on 1.0 date, but my auto-update has been going almost daily for Subnautica off steam this week. I was late game prior to this, but going through it all again will be fun. I’d like to reiterate what @barstein mentioned to you earlier. Each step you go through in this game requires being afraid, understanding why you are afraid of X or Y, and either coming to terms with it or understanding how to deal with it. Like fear tiers if you will. It works especially well on me, I was scared shitless each time I had to go deeper or into a new zone or face some new terror of the deep.

You do normalize to it though, and that was a great explanation of it from Barstein.

Started a base, going further out, visited some pods and had a ship crash. I can build my first vehicle which will be my next target.

TBH I am now holding off for 1.0 just because.

I don’t blame you for holding off. That seamoth is going to open your game up immensely. You’ll love it. More scares incoming though. :)

We will probably all have a 1.0 flurry of posts from what it sounds like.

Anyone playing in VR? Did they do something about the menu appearing inches from your face?

No, it’s still right on your nose.

How’s the VR experience overall? It’s probably my next Oculus buy.

It’s always been a great VR experience, really atmospheric and cool. The limited res/visibilty of a VR headset kind of matches being underwater. :)

Some UI issues as mentioned above, like the inventory ipad-like thing that gets pulled up right in front of your face, but otherwise not too bad.

It also only supports controller, no touch. It does have a ‘gaze based’ mouse cursor you can activate that makes inventory management a bit easier. A proper touch UI would be amazing, not sure they’ll ever do one.

The VR performance has been the biggest ongoing issue though, getting worse and worse as they add more stuff over the years. I mean the game can barely hold 90 at the start of the game with a 1080ti, let alone when you get to base-building which is where things really fall apart frame-rate wise. I’ve not got that far since they started removing stuff and optimising for 1.0 though so maybe it’s better now…

They added a bunch of graphics options to pancake recently that don’t appear in VR mode. The main quality setting is very coarse, so if you set to ‘Low’ it runs okay (reduces LoD, lighting, etc) but then the textures are a blurry mess. There’s no seperate texture quality setting. The settings they’ve actually exposed, like AA, AO, bloom, Water Quality, have very little effect on framerate. :P

Hmm, thanks. 1070 here. I’ll proceed with caution :)

Does anyone have a workaround for a floating multi-purpose room I can’t deconstruct because it says I need finish deconstruction of attached components?

Basically I wanted another multi purpose room, and so on a corridore, I added a vertical tube, and then the room on top of that. When I placed the ladder, it was in the middle of the corridore. I could not figure out how to rotate it, so I removed the ladder, then the pipe, and then the room became bugged and I can’t remove it. I can’t even place the pipe back and use it. Now it is just floating in space above my base, blocking a lot of things from being built.

It might actually be something that needs to be repaired before you can deconstruct it…I think I ran into that a long time ago. If you can get inside, check around and make sure there isn’t anything else to deconstruct or repair.

It is fully repaired and you can’t get inside it. Its not connected to anything.

Can you construct a hatch on the room so that you can get inside and see if anything needs to be deleted/repaired?

Nope. Its still stuck. Maybe it will be fixed in the 1.0 patch.