Summer TV 2021

I don’t even think we had a thread last year due to the Pandemic, but new TV shows are on the horizon, the sun is dangerous so stay indoors!

Looking forward to the Final season of B99.

Looking forward to season 2 of Black Summer. Them’s some scary zombies.

Blacker Summer?

Hold up, I see the Conan series finale listed on June 24th, Thursday after next. Wow, I didn’t know he was ending his show.

Yeah, he’s said that he’s taking a brief break then doing something on HBO Max. End of another era and on to the next one. Conan has had a lot of eras!

I wonder if Andy Richter will go back to doing one-camera sitcoms? He was so good in those!

Summer was always a bit of a dumping ground for major OTA network TV series, but these days it might be lower than that previously established low bar.

I mean, if your ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX TV series is getting dumped to the summer this summer, up against the Olympics and people wanting to do anything but be indoors? That’s a big ol’ YIKES.

For instance, it looks like NBC cannot wait to dump Brooklyn 99 off its schedule, it looks like. 10 episodes, and they’ll be done with it by the end of October.

Kevin can F*** himself getting some good reviews. I guess I’ll try out that show on AMC, since I have YoutubeTV for Euro 2020. A show from the perspective of a wife on a multi-cam sitcom.

Looking forward to Rick & Morty new season starting June 20th.

Other than that, the chart looks fairly empty this year for sure.

Reminder: shows that have a ready-made space on on-demand streaming services aren’t subject to the same kind of “stinky-poo” whiff of shame that network OTA series are. Shows that hit on demand in the summer can be ridiculously successful. See Things, Stranger.

And this summer, see for instance Ted Lasso and Rick & Morty.

B99 and Lower Decks S2 I’m all in for. Lasso as well, of course.

Kevin . . . looks intriguing. I hope they can pull it off as those high concept gimmicks are usually all or nothing. AMC has a pretty good track record.

Hopefully Kevin goes really dark. I’m thinking ritualistic child murder behind the scenes, then a goofy plotline where he tries to fix a dishwasher and floods the kitchen himself up front.

Summer was indeed always a dumping ground for series that didn’t renew, or stuff they never put on the Fall schedule. But what was interesting to me was that, once cable channels starting doing original programming, they took advantage of the OTA programming to slot their best stuff into the Summer. Sort of a “hey, those guys are giving you their rejects now, come watch our good stuff instead” approach.

It still holds to a degree–online channels still tend to slot a lot of their best shorter series into summer, when there is less competition from OTA. Of course there is a shit-ton of competition from other streaming channels now, but OTA doesn’t seem to have caught on and shifted their programming schedules much.

Also this looks good:

I don’t appreciate how AMC+ pushes itself on me in Youtube TV.

It says, hey look, you have 3 episodes of Kevin Go F*** Yourself. Wow, 3 episodes? I thought the series just started last week? Well, one is recorded on the DVR and is free, Episodes 2 and 3 area only available if you get AMC+, and you can watch them two weeks early! Sheesh.

The first aired “episode” of Kevin GFY that aired last Sunday was actually the first two episodes (two hours).

Hah! I got yelled at on here for comparing Superman and Lois to Friday Night Lights. And what does that article do? Compares S&L to FNL.

Ppppfffftttt.

Since I was the one that yelled at you, I’ll get right on correcting this injustice. I shall pen a tersely worded email at TVLine.

:) 345

During the Olympics they have this crazy trailer for a new TV series where a lady falls into a giant sinkhole and ends up in another world. Called “La Brea” I think? I wonder if that’s coming soon?