Summoner Wars iOS!

I downloaded the demo 'cos you guys are infectious. So I can only play elves against AI elves in an offline game, plus the tutorial?

Yes sir. In case you’re curious, the elves are distinct by virtue of their ability to minimize randomness and their strong but spindly summoner.

Do IAP ever go on sale? Or do I just have to bite the bullet?

I think the current price is a sale for he entire bundle, reguardless I think it is an excellent price for the variety of teams/cards it gives you access to.

The bundle is an amazing deal for what you get, especially when compared to the physical product.

Probably not for several months. Ascension (original deck) only went on sale after the expansion Return of the Fallen was released. Same deal for RotF, got slightly cheaper when Storm of Souls dropped.

In this case, FTP with a plethora of IAP already available, a sale is unlikely for quite some time.

Edit: Way to slow. Just buy the bundle, it saves roughly $12.

Is it too early to start a “Most Feared Champion” poll yet? Because, I really hate Gror now! Especially when playing against Vincent.

Don’t get me wrong, I love what Gror can do (He has a lot of health and can hit a ridiculous number of units if positioned right), but I really love him for his name.

GROR!

I love this game and I love Playdek’s implementation of this game. But I don’t understand what Playdek has against in-game chat.

So I brought the bundle. Played a bunch of games vs the AI. Some newbie thoughts:

• The tundra orcs seem really strong. The smasher is a killer if you don’t have high power units around, their side is always clogged with walls, the summoner ability is pretty effective (if only as a deterrent) and their event cards are useful all the time (as opposed to some others that tend to sit around "waiting for the right moment.) I tried the jungle elves, the phoenix elves (multiple times) and the goblins against them, and all got squashed badly. I finally won one with the Phoenix elves by swapping out the guardians for warriors and the dogs, but that was only with the AI making suboptimal moves. I’d love to see an exhibition match.

• That said, is there a point to the guardian at all? I can see it being good if there was a way to up the power, but the warrior seems to be superior with better mobility, higher possible damage, etc.

• For units like the fire drake, how do you select between using the attack and the fire breath? Twice I accidentally selected the fire breath when I wanted the physical attack.

• The UI is sometimes unresponsive, and leads to annoying movement errors. Grr!

I highly agree.

Another thing I’d like to see is built-in support for player made leagues. Dave Perkins does a fantastic job running the leagues for us, but it’s a lot of work for him. Imagine how cool it would be if you could just set up a league in-game, invite folks into it and then it would do all the tracking of the wins and losses.

Oh, oh. Let me repay my karma on this one since I too had this issue. When any special ability applies, a card has a subtle, very subtle actually, white glow. In the case of a combat ability like the Fire Drake the picture of the Drake on the card (not the whole card) will have that white outline. Click on the picture of the Drake and drag to the target (notice the “S” under your finger as you drag). If you want a normal attack drag starting at the round die number icon (you will see the number stay under your finger). Basically drag from the left of the card for an attack or the right of a card for a special and watch for the symbol or number as you drag.

I hope this helps. I am still in super newbie land, but hope to gain enough confidence to play online soon.

I love “notice the S under your finger”. Anyone else twisted and bent their finger in all directions attempting to see if what’s under there is an S or a numeral?

I’d love to get more involved in this, but my tutorial game, plus the next 3 games I tried resulted in total devastation versus the AI. If there’s underlying strategy to figure out here, I’m not picking up on it. So, once again (as with Ascension), I’ll put out the request: Any good sites or tips for winning, with just the default Phoenix Elves?

Thanks!

I think the main thing to worry about with the pheonix elves is summoner safety. It only takes 4 hits to take you out of the game. Likewise if you can ever run at the opponents summoner and get guaranteed hits with abilities like precise it is usually worth it.

Other then that I would try not to lose too many weak 1 hit point commons to the enemy, either kill them yourself if they look like they are going to get killed anyway or use them to build magic. Against the AI you can usually win with a conservative strategy of holding back and conserving magic, and using your magic drains whenever you can. But always go after an exposed summoner.

Picked this up, still trying to make sure I’ve got the concept. Looking forward to joining the league soon!

I have a kind of lazy question… my iDevice is a 3rd gen iPod Touch. This game’s main play area is virtually unreadable on it. Is it worth my time to try overcome that?

I bit the bullet and bought the bundle, so I’m online capable now. Be gentle.

Yes. Get glasses. um actually no the text looks worse with reading glasses on. This is one of those apps that Apple wants made to sucker cheapskates like us to get an iPad. Luckily I can zoom the cards bigger almost anytime to look at them.

I learn by getting beaten by other people!

I am so glad we get to see our opponents moves.