Sunless Sea - Kickstarted! From the creators of Fallen London

All of this.

Plus Sunless Skies points you in some very focused directions very early on regarding making money and how you create sources of income for yourself so that you can explore to your heart’s content.

I also found that Sunless Skies was willing to be a lot more clear about some things: Here’s your stats and here’s what they do and what they mean. Here’s your ship and you ship stats. Here’s how you’ll make money, at least to start. Here’s your quest log. You do these quests. Your captain gains XP to level up. Your ship can be improved, sold, and improved on again and again. Go nuts.

Sunless Sea is a somewhat unfair choose your own adventure game.

Sunless Skies is an exploration game with a robust choose your own adventure layer.

I found Sunless Sea more memorable and I thought it had a more interesting vibe, but Sunless Skies is unquestionably the better game.

Yes, this. I’d love a Sunless Sea 2 with all the improvements to Sunless Skies + any additional lessons.

OK, I won’t write off Sunless Skies because Sunless Seas isn’t quite doing it for me. On another note, I just notices the Shops tab when I was docked at Fallen London. I can’t believe I played this long and missed them. That certainly makes getting supplies and selling some things for money better. Holy cow. I imagine other docks have shops too that I didn’t see.

Oh god I don’t know how you survived at all without buying supplies at port, that’s an achievement

Seas has spectacular atmosphere. There is a learning cliff.

The quest system is fixed in skies making it a much more playable game.

Is there a mod that makes Sunless Seas more forgiving, or a better game, like Sunless Skies?

Sadly no.

I thought about lobbying Failbetter to overhaul Seas, but they chose rightfully to invest in a different kind of game instead of replowing where they have already been. Mask of the Rose is due out spring of 23.

Note: I do mention some specifics so if you don’t want to see spoilers then skip this post.

Well, I played more yesterday than I thought I would buy I’m now out. I lost my first captain, but my second has stayed with me even though I didn’t realize there were shops at the ports to buy fuel and supplies at. I was scrounging around and living off the gas from the admiral and getting supplies from killing pirates, eating at the 3 sisters, story choices, etc…

Once I noticed the shop tab it blew my mind! I think I explored around 70% of the map - made it all the way across the sea. My goal was to recover my dads bones. I made it to the Fathom King and he presented me with a large list of items I would need to give him to get his help. At that point I was just like, I don’t think so. Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad if the game kept track of what was at the ports I visited. I started to do that but got tired of it. I could use the wiki I guess.

The only ship upgrade I did was one step up with my engine. I would have done more if I could - moving quickly is definitely a boon. I bought the townhouse and had a kid.

I’ll be curious to give Sunless Skies a try at some point after I have some time between me and Seas.