Super Bowl 2018 Ads

No thread this year? Probably because everyone watched them on Youtube ahead of time.

Tide did a pretty good job. Didn’t think much of the initial bit, but it grew on me as they added more later.

The Alexa-loses-her-voice thing was kinda lame, I thought. Maybe just too much hype.

Eli and Odell dancing was great. Good thing the Giants were so bad that they didn’t make the playoffs, so they could focus on the commercials!

The Freeman/Dinklage fire and ice thing was pretty dumb, but I liked it. Fire-breathing Dinklage, what’s not to love?

None of the rest did much for me. Especially the Bud Light medieval fight thing, that was terrible.

Edit: Oh, one more, the Viking ship thing for Ram was great. Which is good, since the other Ram ad using MLK was awful.

You know you are getting old when you think all the music at halftime and during all the commercials but one(classic rock “We Will Rock You” of real Vikings going to Superbowl) sucked…

That might have been my favorite commercial too.

We rated the commercials that were pre-released with their :30 edits so we could compare apples to apples. That let out Tide, Alexa (60 second spot), the NFL Dirty Dancing, etc.

Our group thought the Dinklage/Freeman double commercial that Pepsico bought for their Doritos and Mountain Dew brands was the best, with the M&M’s commercial with DeVito a distant second. In both cases, it was the star power that carried those commercials.

Interestingly, they kinda lumped the Febreze #bleepdontstink and Pringles commercials together in the third tier as OK but not great.

But the one that caught my eye was the Wendy’s commercial. They rated it below those other spots on all the metrics for measuring entertainment value of a commercial…but when it came to brand positioning and motivating a viewer to take action (such as making a purchase) it won.

How did nobody ever stand up and say that was a terrible idea before they blew so much money on it? Besides, that other car company has clergy from three other religions supporting it too.

Yeah, multiple people had to approve that ad, and no one said “Uh, maybe let’s take a different whack at that”?

I have to admit I laughed when someone said “Look! It’s the Bud Knight!”

The MLK ad was amazingly insensitive. Amazed an ad agency thought that was a good idea.

I thought the M&Ms ad was terrible. It did not strike me as funny to have Danny Devito running around asking people if they wanted to eat him.

Also thought the Febreze ad was also pretty bad. The #blankDontSmell one.

I don’t recall any other ads. I missed the dirty dancing one.

Sadly, I did to.

The Internet has you covered.

Man, there were many stinkers among the ads this year. Some tried to be funny, but really weren’t (e.g., M&Ms), other were devoid of any form of irony or humor, driven by the ridiculous amount of pathos and self-importance that pleases executives and feels awkward to everyone else. The babies in the T-Mobile app were completely arbitrary - could have attached any brand to that. The MLK Ram ad pissed me off.

Yeah, Tide probably was the most pleasant one for me. Somewhat inventive, somewhat meta (especially the first one), and David Harbor was a good choice to go with.

I remember that being a Coke ad. I must have gotten it mixed up with some other generic feel-good ad that had no connection to the product.

There were several of those, but I’m talking about this one.

I thought all the Olympics ads were really good.

I liked the Tide stuff, especially when the Old Spice dude cued in his piece then, “Get off my horse”.

I thought Toyota was awesome. They really brought some thoughtful humanity to their spots. I was happy about T-Mobile because it felt like Germany giving trump a middle finger.

I felt like Verizon was pandering.

The Monster headphones ad was atrocious.

Did anyone like the Crocodile Dundee ad and are now more likely to visit Australia? Please don’t waste my tax dollars.

Loved it! Forgot about it already though.

I enjoyed the ads, but I am not more likely to visit there. I already know Australia is an awesome place to go, but it’s hell expensive and that’s a really long plane trip.

I don’t do football, but I did get to watch most the ads because, well internet. Amazon Echo’s ad made me chuckle, like a lot. Now i kind of want to change her voice to some celebrity too.

I would get an Alexa if they had celebrity voices :) I liked the Olympic ads the best, and also the Mass Mutual ‘feel good’ spot just before the game. The Dodge Ram MLK ad was incredibly stupid, and I can’t imagine multiple adult human people thinking that was a good way to sell pickup trucks.

I would love a Leslie Jones voice. I think she’s funny as hell and the commercial really didn’t get to highlight that.