Supergirl TV show on CBS

I have great shame in never finishing season 1. :(

And pretty much giving up on Arrow / Flash / Legends of Tomorrow around that time.

The Lena thing is just plain confusing I don’t even get why she’s supposed to be angry.

Literally Lena complains to Kara that Kara hasn’t been there for her and supporting her, but Supergirl has picking up the slack, and she’s so sad because she thought Kara cared about her but apparently not. Then Lex Luthor is like, I’LL GET YOU and reveals Supergirl’s identity with his dying breath. Lena should have been like, amazing, everything actually all is right in the world and my friend Kara never left my side, she was actually there for me the WHOLE TIME WOW.

“Lord, You said that once I decided to follow you, You’d walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don’t understand why, when I needed you most, you would leave me.”
“My son, My precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I Carried You.”

And to top it all off Lex shows a prepared video montage of Kara saving Lena’s life like 5 times in 20 seconds where Lena never even knew her life had been saved. THAT WILL REALLY SHOW HER.

I think Lena’s reaction is meant to scan as over the top due to a lifetime of abuse by a whole family of deceptive malignant narcissists. The very concept of trust in others and the sanctity of relationships is something she basically only ever held onto as a desperate “fuck you!” to that family and their “ideals.” The entry of the seemingly wholesome Kara Krew into her life marked perhaps the first real opportunity she’s had to trust people who weren’t scheming to use her to their own literally psychotic ends the whole time.

And then it turns out they ALL knew a major and vital piece of information that you didn’t, just one more big trick pulled on silly dumb Lena who’s always the butt of these insane plots.

It triggers a lifetime of memories of far worse shit from mom and Lex, and the coping mechanisms slam into place swift and fierce after decades of practice.

Sure, the situation is actually wildly different, and sure, Kara did eventually bring her into the circle of trust willingly. It’s not fair.

But Lena’s been pushed away from fair and reasonable her whole life. She’s an abuse victim responding with fight out flight instincts.

It beggars the imagination that she could sit in that panic state for months and do tons of rational planning, especially now that the truth IS out, so I would agree that I want to see it wrapped up sooner than later, but well, it’s CW, so I’m sure we’ve got another five seasons out of this drama…

Ha, you nailed it. I love it, too. I cannot help it.

Why did they change Supergirl’s hair? It looks sorta dorky, IMHO.

Pics? Does she have bangs now? Her hair up until now has been very… suburban. Not very exciting.

I only watched some of season 1, here is her hair back then.
supergirl-cast-photos-featured

And now season 5.

Looks ok to me, she has bangs now.

Is this the first season with pants? I recall someone telling me they were gonna get rid of the skirt version of her suit eventually.

I like the suit change, I just think she looks better without the bangs, myself, but YMMV.

IIRC they were considering having her wear a wig for the show, but ended up liking it. The implication I got from that was that the actress had wanted the change, but maybe I misunderstood and they just meant that the Supergirl transformation would get a bang-less wig. There’s plenty of middling nerd gossip blogs on the subject that infest my Google Assistant if you’re curious :-D

I think it’s a pretty cool look, tbh, panted-suit and bangs alike.

I absolutely love Benoist, as well as most of the other actors on the show, but I haven’t been able to steel myself enough to handle the bad writing after finishing season 2. Since then, I’ve only watched the cross-over episodes.

I really wish the writing wasn’t so cringe-y so that I could enjoy the characters, more.

This screen grab is literally from the moment when she first sees her new suit (after it nano-bot self-assembles on her person) and yells “Pants!” with infectious glee.

Its the only season 5 photo I could find online! :D

Yay pants!

Maybe next season they will allow here to wear her hair in its natural color?

It was cool this week to see Sean Astin drop in for a cameo. When he talked about having migraines after this experience in Afghanistan, my mind totally substituted “Mordor”.

Does the show actually look this garbage?

What the hell.

Umm that doesn’t look great. Did the budget for CGI get cut?

That looks about season 1 Stargate or Babylon 5 level.

Most of the show looks like the other CW shows in terms of special effects - which is to say, better than merely servicable, sometimes really nice looking, and occasionally a swing-and-a-miss. However, the Green Martians specifically have always looked really bad, not sure why.

Why did they choose to go with CG on the Martian heads? It looks like they could’ve easily used masks or makeup.

But beyond the sketchy CG, the editing and blocking was terrible. I feel like the clips I saw of earlier seasons didn’t look this bad.

I also noticed a destinct drop in visual quality…