Superhot anyone?

nobody playing it?

I am pretty early in the game… level 4 or 5, but it is really good. It feels like playing Max Payne in bullet time again, but this time there is only
bullet time. If you don’t move, everything is slow, if you move then enemies and bullets move…

It feels like a most brutal puzzle game. But there are multiple paths to a solution (kill all enemies).

So in other words, near the end? :) It’s a short game.

-Tom

SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT

(yeah, played it, finished story mode, lots of things to do still)

Like what? In the build I played, the only thing beyond the story was the endless mode. What did I miss???

-Tom

You’re welcome. :P

There is too a challenge mode.

Let’s discuss better the incredible blunder that was the “story”. Why the game had an story in the first place! It should have been like Devil Daggers, pure concept-gameplay, no plot, that’s how SuperHOT prototype started. But they felt forced to include something like a story in the game so they put a bad meta-plot which was more annoying than anything.

I thought the story mode is just to prepare you for the challlenge or endless mode?

Their “preparations” are a pain in the ass, then.

Oh, man, the “reviewable” build they gave us didn’t have the challenges, the endless mode didn’t have any progression, and there was no hotswapping, which meant some of the story missions – including the finale – were missing. I’m glad I didn’t review that version.

-Tom

I liked the story and I’m glad it was there, but I can see why one wouldn’t like it.

Blunder? Yeah, I strongly disagree. It’s great!

Put me down as an admirer of the story as well. It was lean, mean, and satisfying.

-Tom

what story do you guys are talking about? There were a few chats in the chat system so far… I am maybe 7-8 levels in. I really like all the demos, arts, mini games etc, in the other sections of the computer, so you never leave the system when you are in the game. But I still need the passcode for shrl.exe ;) but don’t spoil it!

Nothing amazing. Just trying out killstagram.

I loved it. It seems the key to endless mode is to just find a good spot to hole up.
I guess I’ll go work on some of the challenge modes. I had a blast just exploring the menu interface and trying out all the other programs and demos. Having grown up using dos 3.3 I just loved that whole aesthetic and thew curved CRT look. They have some talented ascii programmers/artists. I liked the story too.

One thing I’m trying to figure out: Sometimes when I throw a gun at the enemy it doesn’t seem to stun them and make them release their weapon. It doesn’t happen too often. My weapon isn’t getting shot (I know that can happen). My theory is maybe my gun is hitting their gun that they are still holding? I’m not sure yet.

The original 2013 prototype is pretty interesting. All the levels are different. You can play it in IE.

Just played the story mode and it was pretty damn fun and unlike any other game I played. Only took about 3 hours, but there wasn’t really any moments I wasn’t enjoying it. Count me as one of the people who liked the story part of the story mode. There were a couple times I did want to get back to the action a little sooner then the game let me. It’s so much fun reading where the enemies are, where they’re moving and then plan to kill them all, one step at a time. I’m so relieved to play this after Diablo 3 and ArcaniA.

I guess I need to check out the challenge and endless modes.

There is a Kickstarter currently running for a card game version of Superhot.

This is a pretty cool game. Or hot, I guess.

It suffers from the same issue as Hotline: Miami (especially its sequel) where everything is awesome until you die, and then you have to replay everything roughly the same way, just slightly less awesome because you’ve done it all before. I’m not sure how they can deal with that.

This was ok. I had heard it was so good and it was reasonably so … mostly I liked the faux dos command line being so integrated into the gameplay. As a game, I dunno, was it even 3 hours? Felt a bit gimmicky in the end.

I also finally played this, and didn’t have a great time.

First, the PC build appears to have some major problems. I was getting what felt like maybe 20fps through most of the game, with the default graphics detail (“fast”) on a 1060. The final mission in the story mode was dropping down to 5 FPS occasionally. Turns out that even when a game’s gimmick is that time only moves when you do, playing at those kinds of framerates is extremely uncomfortable. A bunch of other people seem to be having the same problem. Of course this would not have been intentional. But the screeching fake modem sounds and nauseating graphical effects were, and I hated them every step of the way.

I agree with Tim on the issue that replaying the start of a level is no fun. But it’s even worse than something like Hotline Miami, since the level design is intentionally unfair and you really need to know where and when new enemies spawn. So it’s not even that you’re forced to replay a level when you make a mistake. Often you’re forced to replay a level just to learn these details. Also, if you’re going to have a “fast restart” key in a game that relies on memorization + good execution, it should be a fast restart! Not make fake modem sounds and fake ANSI graphics for a few seconds.

I can see people liking the story, when it came as a full surprise in a game that at first didn’t really appear to have one. But I was recommend it specifically for the story, and that set up expectations far too high. It’s a neat little vignette that’s stretched very thin to cover a two hour game.