Surviving Mars - Paradox Strategy

Hey I’m glad you brought that up, I thought it looked cleaner on the streams I was playing, and I have it on Ultra so I have no idea what’s up with that. It looks fine when I zoom in, too, so it’s playing at max zoom… ? Maybe it’s because I’m playing 1440p and it doesn’t really do well above 1080p?

One other (unrelated) question - what is a Sol here in this case? Is it like 1 Mars Day or is it supposed to be a Year?

A few people mentioned the game looked great at 4k on consoles. No blur issues. I’ll try 2k and 4k when I get home tonight.

On PC a bit over 22k players right now. Not a bad first day.

http://steamcharts.com/app/464920

I only got a bit of time at lunch to play with it, I’ll putz around a bit more when I get home with the settings.

Here is a clip of a full-screen image I took a screenshot of, I assume this is what @Razgon is also experiencing, but the lines are pretty aliased and I have TXAA selected in the menu, which since it’s what you get when you pick Ultra, is the right way to go.

Maybe there is a day one Nvidia driver I should be grabbing…

Users reporting graphics bugs with Radeon cards.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/464920/discussions/0/2949168661149067708/

I’m having plenty of fun with this so far. It’s tough going. I am at 200% difficulty level, but the most critical thing is that there are no water deposits near me. So I am currently relying on those machines that take moisture from the atmosphere, but I don’t even have the tech to build more have to get prefabs from Earth (but to get those I need to keep refueling the rockets, which takes water, haha). I have 12 colonists on Mars and it is a struggle to keep them fed and hydrated (food takes water too of course).

I see an underground water deposit far away, just thinking if there’s a better way to transport the water than a really long pipe that may malfunction regularly. Yet a dust storm is coming, and that means the moisture vaproisers won’t work until it’s over, so I am going to have to turn off food production (hopefully food reserves will last till the storm ends) and rely on stored water (which is a pitiful amount) to keep the colonists from dying. It’s stressful in a good way!

By the way graphics are very crisp on my pc, playing at 4k rez, nvidia card. I am actually very impressed with the performance, it’s a very pretty game and I can run it at 4k at 140fps (1080 FE here). Cities: Skyling chugs much more, although to be fair Cities is doing more.

4k ultra settings with my gtx1080 , buttery smooth. Nvidia driver Version: 391.01 WHQL

See that looks pretty good. I’m on Ultra with SMAA and it doesn’t seem like the anti-aliasing is working.

I believe a “Sol” in this case would mean a full trip of Mars around the Sun, so it would be a little longer than an Earth day.

Can you try forcing on AA in the Nvidia / Radeon control panel?

A full rotation around the axis, not around the sun. So a Sol is slightly (about 39 minutes) linger than an earth day. It just have a different name to keep communications clarity so it is not accidentally confused with a terrestrial day.

So @Scotch_Lufkin it is just a Mars day.

Geez absolutely right. I meant axis. A trip around the Sun is called a year! :)

Does the Mars ship purposely look like a Killer Whale?

I wondered about that - maybe it’s based on the initial setup, like if you pick USA or Russia? I picked International Space Mission, for newbies.

Yeah, I figured it was a day, but it seemed like getting a rocket to mars was really fast - but I suppose are a bit into the future tech here. :)

I might try to force AA in the control panel. I did a google search and this was happening to people as far back as 2016 but only a few and no apparent reason was ever discovered. No idea. If I turn the graphics to High instead of Ultra, or turn AA down to FXAA or even Off, nothing seems to even happen.

I had intended to purchase no new games this year, which I did mostly last year as well. This, this is testing that resolve strongly.

I don’t really think a Sol makes any kind of sense outside a generic time abstraction. Colonists definitely age noticeably in game time, which wouldn’t really be the case if 1 Sol was anything like 1 day. It’s kinda like in tons of Space 4X’s they generically abstract population to a number like 22 and people have this burning desire to assign it a number like a billion, and then you realize a colony ship capable of transporting a billion people to a new world would be some Dyson Sphere level of mega-construction.

As far as people aging, i’ll try and pay some attention to it, but it feels like for those purposes a Sol is something like half a year or a third of a year. Though with children it may be even further abstracted because I felt like I had a 6 year old kid running around a few Sols after the first Martian baby was born.

Already messed up my first base by placing my dome too far away from a metal resource! Lol.

Gonna restart from scratch tomorrow when I am not so tired.

Is this better than Sierra’s old Outpost game?

So far I hate this game.

All I’ve managed to do is build a solar panel. It says it wants to be connected to something, but laying the cable is infuriating: it says left click to place it, but left-clicking doesn’t do anything. Right-clicking doesn’t cancel it either. I give up and click on the build icon, try to place a concrete extractor, and then it’s blocked by the damned cable.

Not that I have any clue where concrete is, anyway. I see two resource icons near my landing site, but I’m told they require humans to extract. What the hell?

I started watching a video tutorial the other day, and maybe I’ll go back to that. But I don’t feel like it. Right now I’m so fed up that I’m tempted to undo my purchase before I waste another hour staring at this screen helplessly.

@Spock, see the screenshot in post by @lordkosc, that area at the bottom is concrete (kind of yellowish color).

I’m about to dive back in, so I’ll see if I can figure out how to delete cable. I think as long as it runs to a hex next to something, it will connect to it.

Edit: In the build menu, under Infrastructure there is a salvage button which allows you to mark things to be demolished.

Concrete:

Metal:

Salvage Button:

Thanks, @vyshka . Ah, so that’s concrete. How do I dig it up? I think I spotted concrete near me, and I tried to build a concrete-extractor on top of it, but it said it needed power. So I tried to run a cable to it, and then the cable interfered with the construction of the concrete-extractor.

Good to know I can salvage my tangle of cable. But how does one lay cable in the first place? I clicked and drag, but a big long thing of cable, and then couldn’t confirm what I’d made. Nor could I escape out. It’s the cable that’s driving me most nuts.