Swat 4

I’m down for some coop too. Who’s hosting?

Pistol whip old people!? SOLD! Watched a vid of the first mission on youtube, looks right up my alley. Very immersive and tense game from the look of it.

Haven’t a clue. Maybe whoever originally suggested we do the coop. ;)

Yyyyyyyyyup, totally awesome. :)

great game from a great developer. personally i think this game has the best feel for tacitcal movement and gunplay of almost all shooters… and it doesnt even have iron sights. the kickback and recoil from guns is more realistic than most military shooters (at least from close to medium range).

IIRC, you don’t pistol-whip people; you just punch them. Other non-lethal options are tasers, pepper sprays, flashbangs, CS gas, those concussion grenade thingies, beanbag shotguns, pellet guns, and grenade launchers. And oddly enough, no matter how many times you use unnecessary non-lethal force nor how much they cry about their burning eyes or protest getting hit, it doesn’t hurt your score. Apparently in the SWAT 4 universe, it only counts as “police brutality” if you “accidentally” shoot them with bullets. Score one for the taser apologists!

Also, not to hijack the thread, but A&E has a pretty interesting reality show covering different SWAT units (called “SWAT”). Episodes are on hulu if anybody’s interested.

CL, I could only find episode of the old TV show SWAT on Hulu. Could you provide a link please? I’d LOVE to watch that.

Yeah, I’ve had that difficulty myself on occasion, here it is:

Woohoo, thanks!

Goddamn this game is hard. Think I’ve failed the club ten times now.

Also, the D2D version seems to hate my computer, as it takes at least minute or two to actually start the game after I click the icon. Good news is it does start. Eventually.

I do love a bit of SWAT. I must got back to it, actually. I got distracted by other things and never ended up finishing it. I hit a bit of a wall when on the mission in the software development office. You know, the one where it’s all dot-com boom, bare brick walls and smarmy posters.

Anyway, I seem to recall the baddies there had automatic weapons and masks, which put paid to my usual strategy of pelting people with pepper spray pellets. I was trying to go purely non-lethal, which made it a bit harder. Maybe when I go back I’ll just riddle everyone I see with bullets.

Maxle, what problems are you having with the mission?

I’ve been having the same loading problem. But once it’s loaded I’m having a lot of fun with the game.

I’ve also failed the club a few times (the fourth mission right, in the A-bomb club?), because I’m playing on hard and usually get a score of around 60. I did an almost perfect run, including clearing a room with 4 bad guys and arresting them all. But apparently my superiors still think I’m using unauthorized force. When can you shoot without getting that? I was under the impression I was pretty lenient with enemies with guns.

Man, I’m loving this game. I had also played Swat 3, and few FPSs have a unique game play like SWAT does.

You aren’t supposed to shoot a suspect unless they start to point a weapon at a civilian or police officer. Even then, you only get the highest rating for arresting live suspects.

Interestingly, sniper kills are exempt from this and won’t count as “excessive force.”

Also, it’s a bit cheesy, but the game lets you shoot people as much as you like with less-than-lethal weapons. However, there are some drawbacks: the beanbag shotgun rounds are inaccurate and you can’t carry much ammo, while the pepper-ball gun is easily foiled by gasmasks and windows.

• Alan

Flashbangs. Lots and lots of flashbangs. If you want to reduce the difficulty a bit (a lot, actually) set the difficulty to the easiest level, equip the MP5 submachinegun, FMJ ammo and use 3-shot bursts only. Shoot any bad guy on sight. You’ll get a horribly bad score but you won’t get a mission faliure as long as you don’t kill any civilians. Also, flashbangs.

Hmm… maybe the installer for D2D isn’t compiled properly (or the no-cd work around they wrote isn’t the best), would certainly explain why my Anti-Virus declared it spawned from the very depths of hell.

Also exams over, I expect SWAT 4 to occupy at least some of my time tomorrow :)

Getting shot in the face, having a hostage get shot in the face (the very last suspect took a shot at me, missed, and killed a hostage), losing officers. Actually, yeah, that’s mostly it. I’ll complete 90% of the mission and then die.

Part of my problem was I didn’t realize what wedges are for until just now, so I was leaving half the team in that early room with the two doors into the hall to control the building, as I had a couple bad experiences with motherfuckers getting behind me and shooting my team up as I was cuffing a newly cleared room. I expect taking the full team will make things easier.

Flashbangs it is. Well, and beanbag shotgun for me. I love being able to shoot every suspect I see.

Particularly when using less-than-lethal weapons, the trick is to control the situation aggressively, especially in larger rooms with multiple badguys: Toss in a flash, then enter right after it goes boom, continue to yell at everyone to get down until every person is secured, anyone who does not comply immediately gets beanbagged, punched or peppersprayed.

Larger rooms are a particular problem. The best solution is to enter from multiple directions simultaneously.

This all works best in co-op though, providing your team is well-coordinated.

Yeah, if I remember that mission, you have to move carefully, use flashbangs and those rubber-ball grenades liberally, and try not to shoot anyone.

Just got done with the computer software mission. Did excellent the first time, but on the very last enemy he wouldn’t drop his shotgun no matter how many times I pelted his face with pepper balls so I drew my pistol and shot him in the kneecap and lost points for excessive force which made my score 71 and lost since I was on hard. I did see one of my guys hit a non-compliant suspect with the butt of his shotgun, how do you do that?

That A-Bomb mission was pretty hard since there were open hallways that left you exposed. I was beginning at the side door and then there is a room right after the first one that has 4 doors, lots of hostages and suspects usually. They would take off running through the doors every time I entered the room so I ended up winning by starting the mission at the front door, working my way through, and then wedging all the doors that they ran out of except for one. Then I circled around, gassed them, and hit them all with sandbags while they were huddled by a wedged door coughing. Saved every last scumbag.

When should I breach rather than just pick the lock? If it injures a suspect will I get penalized?

Spoony’s SWAT 4 Let’s Play is pretty amusing.