Sweet Transit - Trains, Logistics, City Building

While still in early access (going on one year now) every update has vastly improved the foundation they started with.

The third update released today:

Definitely not playing it until 1.0, but that’s a tempting price to pre-order it.

Bleh.

Even more bleh.

Still, mad props for the name. And not just for being cute. Any game name that might be confused with a groupie gets a thumbs up from me! Y’all remember to bump the thread for me and @Ginger_Yellow when it’s ready!

On sale at the moment. @lordkosc have you played it? Tempted with it only being $14.73 on sale. Katherine of Sky was saying it is by someone that used to be on the Factorio team. It looks like they were an artist on Factorio, so not sure how involved they were with the design.

Only dabbled with it a few hours, there is a solid foundation here that just needs more patching and content as early access progresses.

This hit 1.0 and is out of early access now.

Reviews look ok and it’s 40% off

Anyone playing it?

Thanks, @paul_chambers! I’m goin’ in!

Not playing it yet, but apparently I bought it a while back. So will be trying it this evening.

Wow, this looks nice! I think I also ignored it before because it was early access.

Hope to find time this weekend to play, its been a few months since I last launched it.

I started going through the tutorials and made it to the one where we build the first train. It crashed. But before than it wasn’t giving me a great impression. Take this with a grain of salt since I haven’t played a real game yet, but it gives me the same vibe as Banished. Not for the game play, but I just get the feeling that it looks good on the surface but won’t really have many interesting choices to make. I hope I’m wrong. And holy cow the go a little crazy with signals in the tutorial. It was pretty tedious building the track.

Has anyone made it farther than this and hopefully have some positive impressions?

I only got through the tutorials on the first night. Started a proper game yesterday and played for about 20 minutes, but realised I didn’t remember how to build platforms. So I’m going back to the tutorials and then I’ll give it a proper go over the weekend. Interface still feels weirdly clunky like it did in the demo, comparing to something like Anno, even if it ostensibly has a bunch of QOL features.

I guess there are people who like setting up train signals just the right way because more than one transport sim has gone that way. That person is not me.

I generally don’t care for train signals in games because what are they even for???

Well, I finally found out thanks to Sweet Transit. I loved the signals tutorial! It’s sets up a bunch of examples, presents you with a few puzzles to make sure you understand how signals work, and even lets you “nope” out of the last challenge if you want. Which I did. I understand, I think, but I don’t feel like untangling it right now, thanks.

But setting up and letting you watch patterns like this to demonstrate how different signals work in different situations:

That’s just what I needed if I’m going to have to do signals in-game, which is the case with Sweet Transit because the whole point is that there aren’t any cars, boats, subways, or planes to get people around, so it’s all trains, all the time.

So big thumbs up from me for the tutorials. And so far, so good in terms of the basic game, although I’m still in the early “Anno” part of getting my basic colony going before laying in rails. Which is like playing an Anno game, hence my description.

Is this a bit like Railroad Tycoon or a puzzle game? I haven’t been able to sort that out.

I agree. I hadn’t gotten to that one when I posted before. It’s really well done. I sometimes don’t fully understand why some trains take as long as they do to get going at a chain signal. I understand the explanation, but it seems like they wait an extra block or so longer than just being able to leave the next block. Have you seen that?

I’ve been having fun with the scenarios, which are pretty much just map puzzles where the player needs to lay out the rails, signals and bridges so the trains move efficiently and meet the quota of them entering and leaving the map at multiple places.

When I made this comment, the game hadn’t mentioned that we can just drag the signals to lay down a series in one shot yet. I was placing each one manually - which was tedious. Not bad now that I know I can drag multiple at once.

Neither, really, though more like RT. It’s like if someone mashed together a train-forward Factorio with Anno.

Is anyone far enough to have decided whether it’s good or not yet?

I’ve been following it since it hit early access, but last I saw (late '23?), they were still making fairly major changes to the gameplay (to mixed reviews) and suddenly it’s released. It’s probably me just not paying enough attention, but it tripped my “rushed out the door” instinct…

I’m going to give it a thumbs sideways. I started an actual city after doing the tutorials. I played enough to upgrade to a town and build a ‘colony’ village. It gives me the same feeling as Urbek City Builder (but Sweet Transit is much better looking). It’s interesting for a little while to see some of the progression, but gets a bit boring. Just unlocking stuff isn’t enough motivation to keep me going. Also, I find building a train station cumbersome, building the platforms as a separate step from the station. It probably bothers me more than it should.

I did 3 star the first 10 or so scenarios, and I’d say I enjoyed those more than the free form building. They are more like track laying / signal puzzles. I also think some of the achievements provide some goals to chase for some production efficiency.

Basically though, I don’t feel like this is something I haven’t played before. I am interested to see what others say though. Some builders I really like, but frequently if they don’t do something special I tend to get bored fairly easily with them.