Sword of the Stars: The Pit announced (roguelike RPG?)

There’s plans for a psionic expansion if there’s enough demand.

I think I made a mistake starting this on easy, because I feel invincible and ammo is everywhere.

It certainly doesn’t feel that way on normal. Well, I am reasonably set for ammo at the moment, but starving and all that’s left to eat are a couple of slices of mouldy bread. As you get further down the monsters seem to become more creative and evil.

Wow, I’m actually having a lot more fun with this than I thought I would, this is a fun little game! I started out as a marine just to get the hang of things a bit but now I’m thinking I’m going to play an Engineer. I haven’t played a Rouge-like in ages so this has been a reminder of how much I enjoy them.

Just a heads up. The game is now available on Steam for those of you who prefer it over GamersGate.

Played some more today on Normal, only really started to get challenging once I got to the 10th floor, when I ran out of food and there were some tougher mobs. Might give it a go on hard because the first few floors really feel like no threat.

It gets much harder the further down you go. Tougher enemies with special abilities, and you start to rapidly burn through the resource surplus you built up in the earlier levels. When you are starving at level 25, you can regret all the time you wasted at the earlier levels.

This game is a bit of a hidden gem, really enjoying it so far. :)

So have any new folk come on board since its inclusion on Steam? While not a huge Steam fan in general, I do appreciate how it can give this game a wider audience and makes patching a SHITLOAD easier (as GamersGate doesn’t really seem to support patching, just re-installs of the now 650M program). Since it has been on Steam they’ve already released a quick little 13M patch that beyond a few fixes and UI tweaks, added some new items and creatures (no need to wait for some formal expansion and such for new content, at least so far)!

A very cool side effect but such a tough call to make when you’ve only got the 1 med kit. Do I nip this in the bud early to avoid the dangers of an out of control disease, or see if I can just wait it out so as not to waste a vital source of emergency hps?

One rumor going round, no clue if it is based on anything but coincidences perceived as cause and effect, is that resting (Ctrl-X) when infected has a higher chance of bringing the disease down than continuing to move about.

Really starting to get into it now. Took me a while to work out reloading lost any ammo left in the weapon.

Been playing Engineer since the Marine seems to be pretty strong on normal. The Blind trap really seems overpowered too.

I think that’s only true for energy weapons. With slug-throwers, you don’t lose ammo.

I think it happens for regular weapons too, like pistols/assault rifles. It’s definitely true for energy weapons, I had 15 shots left and another round of 25, and my OCD kicked in to reload and ended up with only 25 left.

I just tested with the assault pistol and no ammo was lost.

Excellent news.

Definitely only true with any weapon using fuel or energy, not ammo.

Bought the game on a whim after I saw a friend playing it on Steam and have been spreading the word about it since :). It’s insanely fun and I love it that crafting recipes are shared between characters, it makes all those deaths meaningful!

I picked this up last week and died a couple times so far. One game I got literally no ammo despite getting through at least 3 levels. Playing more conservatively now, with a lot of punching and slashing and so on, and I’ve got much more ammo for emergencies now. One thing that seems odd is that there are so few crafting stations and weapon drops relative to opportunities to get your weapons damaged. Maybe that’s just because I’m playing on hard. Is there any way to disable the trap on a door, or do you just have to chance it (or go around)?

You can shoot/punch/slash the trap until it diseappears.

Keep in mind that time is also an important resource. If something is going to take a lot of time units, it might not be worth the food required.