Syberia 3 - Coming in 2014-2015

Yeah, it’s a long way off. However, I’m really surprised by this news.

I loved the first Syberia. I played it a few years late, when I bought the compendium containing both games in the series. My main problem was that when I got done with Syberia, I just didn’t see any reason to go on to play a sequel. The emotional arcs of all the characters were resolved by the end of the first game, and from a narrative perspective, I just didn’t see a reason for the sequel to even exist.

And more than in any other genre, the narrative perspective really matters in adventure games. So I tried playing a few minutes of the sequel, and solved a couple of hard puzzles, and then gave up on the game, thinking the whole exercise pointless.

And now there will be a Syberia 3? Now I’m just confused. Maybe they introduced new twists in the story since the end of Syberia 1, so maybe I should revisit Syberia 2 after all.

Syberia 1 ends in a cliffhanger. I’m surprised you felt “done” when you finished it.

I consider it one of the better endings I’ve seen in video games, and I felt very satisfied. To me it felt like whatever the new journey held for the two characters, the important things had already been tied up. It reached an emotional crescendo in its last moments that few games manage. I just felt the nitty gritty details of what happens next weren’t as important.

Fair enough.

New “Discover” trailer. Game coming in April

I like that in the thread title this was supposed to come out 2-3 years ago.

I did not like the first two Syberia games, but I know I’ll play this one.

I enjoyed the Syberia games more than I did The Longest Journey.

The Longest Journey had more bullshit puzzles, but I liked its story and characters better. And if I never have to hear that robot say “Kate Walker! Kate Walker!” again it’ll be too soon.

I’ll grab it on sale, no time to play it right now.

That trailer makes the plot look similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider.

So did anyone play this? It got a very poor metacritic score. I wonder what happened.

I saw it on Gamefly for $9. Worth it?

Looks like most of the complaints have to do with lack of polish – rough translation and lots of technical issues – and there are a lot of complaints about the ending being lackluster or underwhelming. I was super excited about a 3D Syberia, but all of the issues at launch made me back off. I’m curious if they’ve even given it any post-release love.

Probably worth nine bucks though!

I started playing this yesterday since I picked it up on sale.
It’s… oh god it’s so bad.
The graphics are fine and the setting cis nice, only the voice acting and the dialogues are just… horrendous. There doesn’t seem to be a skip dialogue-option either which is just… arrgh.

I cannot recommend anyone to pick this game up. Not even for an adventure-loving gamer, I usually have lots of patience for crappy games as long as it fills my sleuthing meter, but this is just pissing me off.