Symphony of War: a fantasy-themed take on Advance Wars and Ogre Battle

It’s currently sale for 13.00

I’ve been meaning to go back to this, it’s really very good and quite unique.

So, I wrapped up the game this month. It started out great, but ended up being Good.

I enjoyed how the game was set up. The ability to create Units was interesting, although I found that I relied on Cavalry and Dragons more than anything.

The tech tree was a delight as well.

But towards the end of the game, I was too O/P. Everything was unlocked. Every squad had 9 models or 3 dragons. Every classes I wanted was either unlocked or just not worth it (I had 4 or 5 Knight Commanders).

There were some gaps. We had heavy Infantry, Archers, Melee Cavalry and Gun Powder reductions, but no light Infantry reductions. That was a bit sad.

The romance stuff felt super tacked on, and I could have done without it.

The only sadness was the lack of Replayability. I got my time in, but I would love to have scenarios.

In any case, I was hoping for Advanced War plus Kohan, but instead got Final Fantasy Tactics plus Kohan. And I was there for it.

I picked this up and it seems pretty good. Like most of these Japanese-inspired games, the underlying class and tactical system seems pretty deep and crunchy but the explanations seem a bit hard to find. There’s a tutorial section I’ve tried reading but I’m still facing a steep learning curve. Are there are good resources to help me get up to speed?

I’ve done the first four chapters so I have some clue but I also feel like I’m doing a lot of guessing.

Before you do anything, deploy, and check if there is a trade camp. If there is not, retreat, buy what you want, and start the fight. If there is, buy only what you need, because the trade camp will have the best stuff.

Always be on the look out for Arena Tokens. They are worth more than the gold they cost.

If you need levels, get a bronze arena token, if a unit a bunch of healers, and no archers, and just let the two archer squads wail on you. It’s slow, but you will get levels just by letting them shot you.

You can save scum after you finish a battle. If you do this, before hitting the town, the market will reset. This is one way to guarantee more Arena Tokens.

Oh, and always try to make units surrender. More gold and more Research Points.

Also oh - the female warriors can upgrade to archers, which can upgrade to Samurai (or raiders or whatever archers can upgrade to). It was added after the game launch, so most walkthroughs and guides don’t list them.

Whether to return to it or to convince to dive in new . . . . one might like to know about the fairly substantial incoming DLC.

I missed this when posting about the new DLC. You might like to know it also introduces New Game+ including a mechanic that lets you rehire favored units from the first play through. That, plus 8 new chapters expanding the narrative for some of the characters, interspersed throughout the existing 30 chapters . . . which together reads like a great reason to replay potentially.

That is nice to know.

I just started a new campaign with the DLC. the toggleable new AI is less predictable, and the new units seem interesting, though I dont really understand the undead units yet.

I’m really digging the QoL additions. I restarted as well and the squad composition is much better for me being able to fine-tune each.

i guess i’ve forgotten how that used to work, what changed?

There are new T3 units that allow you to specialize better. Plus the Cavalry now gets to attack and move so you can actually have harassing cavalry. In one of the free patches leading up to the release, they lifted the restriction on certain classes locked to a single per squad. This means you can now make a squad with multiple heroes if you so desire.

edit - Dyslexia strikes again

Interesting! May have to go back for a re-play.

Did you enable the “rise of the risen”? I did, and I wonder if it was a mistake as it makes the early game a lot harder.

I didn’t. I may restart with it enabled, but I wanted to see the new changes without the entire new faction (without a patch :)

I initially started with it on, but felt overwhelmed, so I restarted without it.

I did something very similar and cranked my difficulty too high on my initial new game plus roll; I think part of it was just that I didn’t know how much power I’d be carrying over, and it was less than I expected. (Which is fine, if not better; I was just basing my expectations on how similar games tend to work, and you’re not getting that ‘average’ level of power from the start.) I also restarted with a slightly less aggressive set of things turned up, and since it looks like those settings can be tweaked mid-run, I’ll add more when it starts getting too easy… probably as soon as my units start to round out a bit.

I’m doing “new game +” just for enhanced AI, no carry over items and untweaked warlord difficulty. If I stick with it enough for another play through I”ll take some carry over benefits and then make the setting tou.

I got an “S” in Chapter 12 but only lasted 8 rounds. Now I’m trying to decide whether the problem was my tactics with the troops I have or if I didn’t develop the right troops, as only 2 or 3 of my stacks could do much vs the enemy stacks of shieldwall+cannons.

You may know it, so for others too, this chapter is renowned as extremely tough. I am avoiding spoilers.

As I read it and understand it (having played past it), to get the kill all enemies achievement from this chapter, you will likely need to have developed your army close to optimally since chapter one, including harvesting many surrenders to boost income, acquired some strong / legendary mercenaries and some useful artefacts, and have a maxed out roster of squads and units to fill them (up to their Leader cap)

Then, you would need a very strong tactical approach for the single chapter. One I like is to concentrate all 15 of your deployable squads bottom right ready for the first wave of Casimir’s army, so you have local numerical superiority. If you can take out the 12 squads that arrive there, that leaves you with another 18 to take out, and you can tease them in a few different directions with different squads.

I feel this is a terrific chapter, bravo to the developers for including it. It is a real diversion from the typical and expected in this game and similar.