System Shock Remake

Cyberspace was conceived as an advanced user interface for accessing large systems and datasets. It’s literally NOT supposed to be disorienting. That’s like saying Excel is supposed to be disorienting. I mean, it is, but it’s not supposed to be.

SS1’s cyberspace levels were, with few exceptions, very linear affairs. Mostly just combat areas separated by tunnels.

Let me rephrase and say that the System Shock implementation of cyberspace was disorienting. It looks like the remake is taking the concepts of that and making it more enjoyable.

I still hope SHODAN tries to hack your brain when you try to purge her from the system in cspace.

Cyberspace was System Shick’s biggest anachronism. Shadowrun Returns isn’t much better and it is much newer.

Err… how do you figure that cyberspace in a 90s cyberpunk-themed game was an anachronism?

Apparently SS2 Enhanced Edition will be fully playable in VR.

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition dev confirms fully fledged VR mode after earlier tease | Eurogamer.net.

EDIT: Oops, I misread it. It will feature full-fledged VR mode, that doesn’t mean the whole single player campaign is going to be in VR. Sorry.

Yeah, I’ll be really surprised if they create a separate VR-optimized version of the single-player campaign. That would be almost as much work as remaking the entire game from scratch.

I’m guessing it will just be a bonus gameplay mode for those people who can handle free-movement VR games without throwing up.

I was a KS backer and got an email from the development team today. There’s a new demo out on Steam and they say that they are targeting a release for late summer of this year. Text below:

Welcome back Hackers!

We’ve got a very special update this month - as you are aware we’re releasing our final demo and opening pre-orders on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store which should be available as you read this. This is a major milestone in our development of System Shock and once again we’d like to thank you for your continued patience and support while we diligently create the experience you originally backed all those years ago.

Our development road was bumpy (to say the least) - but ultimately what you’re playing is the vision and experience we set out to create and the adversity and challenges we’ve faced along the way has only improved the final game. The team has evolved and grown considerably and we hope that the end product will meet your expectations. With all that said we are planning on a late Summer 2021 release date.

On to the demo - Let’s run through all the updates!

NEW Cyberspace Level! (tame those cyber doggies!)

NEW Crew Audio Logs! (no devs this time!)

NEW SHODAN Audio! (Terri is back!)

NEW Dismemberment! (if Viva Pinata were rated M!)

NEW Proximity Mines! (don’t get too close!)

NEW Bugs! (tell us what you find :D)

NEW Enemies! (the repair bot is flamin’ hot!)

NEW GenerativeMusic System! (never the same song twice!)

NEW Snack! (make your selection at the Snacktron!)

NEW Save Feature! (what a novelty!)

NEW Notes System! (USB 1.1 support!)

NEW Difficulty Modes! (crank it all the way up to 3!)

NEW Destructibility! (smash that glass!)

NEW DLSS Support! (update your drivers for your RTX card!)

NEW Trailer! (a ton of new reveals!)

NEW Nightdive intro! (who’s that lurking in the depths?)

NEW Secrets! (first to post a picture of the special skull to our Twitter wins a prize!)

So check it out and please tell us what you think - we value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

So, so overdue.

That is true but at a number of points it appeared that they would never get here, so it’s almost here and I’m happy with that.

Just tried out the demo. It’s coming together nicely. The textures look like butt up close, but overall I’m looking forward to playing this.

Yes I’m not too far in but I thought there were some changes. How did you find the code for the med suite? I couldn’t find/see it where it supposedly is but it’s unchanged from the original so I used that.

And what was up with the room full of patients & the medical (?) dude . That’s new. I wondered if they might get up & come after me so killed them all.

Hopefully in the release they will have text for the emails & logs as before.

Haven’t tried cyberspace yet - man I hated that - but you’re right that the melee combat is very average, to be kind. Although the heads explode with a satisfying splat…every time!

I did encounter a bug at the first charge up station which required a restart but got through that second time. I note the power has to recharge before you can use the station again - is that new?

I also quite liked the new way they did the circuit puzzle - it actually makes more “visual sense” to me buy maybe that’s just me.

“Clean”? Cyberspace in the remake is one of busiest, most visually overloading environments I’ve ever seen in an FPS. One would be hard-pressed to make a more difficult environment to parse if you tried. Just a screenfull of monochromatic graph paper texturing with constantly animating abstract patterns on every surface.

I hope they recreate the original intro with SHODAN as the narrator to pumpin’ rock/techno music.

Now supporting DLSS!

Since I have a 1080p monitor, I wonder if DLSS would be useful to me in any way? Maybe to render internally at 720p so that it can be scaled up to 1080p. Or wait, can DLSS scale 1080p to 4K and then scale back down to 1080p to display on my monitor? Will that look better than native 1080p?

How much does a 3060 Ti cost if a woodchuck could chuck wood and falls in the forest?

Your firstborn, an arm and a leg, and your soul. ;-)

Well, none of us have souls left, after selling them to the game companies all these years. Of course, I’ve sold the same soul many times, and no one has caught on yet!

DLSS is usable at 1080p but it may impact image quality, even at DLSS quality mode, because there’s a lot less baseline data to scale up. So the answer to your question is yes, but really no, as the slowest GPU supporting DLSS (RTX2060 non-super) is more than capable of running every game at 1080p without ray-tracing. If you must use RT on a 2060, then go with DLSS.