System Shock Remake

You’re right! You should expect that on that rig. The issue can be found when people don’t understand the disparity between a streamer’s beefy rig, and their own potentially potato rig.

Right, my finger is pointed at recently released awful ports like Jedi Survivor, The Witcher 3 remaster, and the Last of Us remake.

There’s several keys on the page - you want the one that has a blurb about “won’t unlock until X time”.

Well, we have now higher standards. We also played at 320x200 resolution. Was that unplayable? No.
Was it worse that what we have now? yes.

In any case there are diminishing returns with framerate that we already reached. I’m playing at most games at 100-120 fps with the new PC and the difference with 60 fps isn’t that big, the extra smoothness you get is more like a bonus. It’s perfectly fine if we stay at 60 fps.

Higher consistent framerates really matter in AR/VR, because they help with nausea. I agree on a monitor or TV 60fps is OK. Not to say better performance doesn’t look and feel better, it does, but those diminishing returns you noted kick in.

Same thing with resolution, we’ll never need more than 4k on a 65" TV at normal couch distances. If TVs get commonly bigger, or couches get closer, perhaps. I don’t think either one will happen, and who wants to turn their head all the time? But with AR/VR, the screens are right up against your eyeballs and you get something for higher resolutions.

I had the right key actually.
But the problem was that for some reason it had the beta enabled on it.
I had to go into properties and opt out of the beta, which then allows download of the actual full game. Other people had the issue, I found the solution in comments on kickstarter.

I played a demo of this a while back and it was jank AF and the UI wasn’t touched. Is this still the case?

I’m a couple of hours into it and so far I haven’t encountered any negatives with the UI and inventory.

Just finished the Medical deck and now I’m on to Research, and I’m really enjoying it so far, playing on default difficulty.

Combat - Pretty satisfying. Enemies have a nice weight and blow up real good when you frag them, leaving limbs, gore, and blood all over the place. Health and ammo seem very plentiful so far, and I have yet to use any credits to buy anything. Unless things change I’ll definitely up the difficulty on my next playthrough.

UI - I wish I could scale the HUD and crosshair down about 50% since it’s about twice as large as it needs to be on my screen. Otherwise, it’s fine. It would be nice if you could sort your inventory and vaporize junk automatically, etc, but I’ll live.

When I first saw that you could literally grab every piece of garbage in the game and turn it into scrap I thought “oh no…this is going to become a junk collecting sim”, but I honestly have not even found a need for scrap, so I’ve just ignored it for now. For those of you with junk-hoarding tendencies though…godspeed.

Sound - The only complaint I have with the sound so far is the lack of the OG soundtrack, which is kind of a crime (though I will say the new ambient track isn’t bad). I’m sure someone will mod it in before long, but a competently remastered version would have been nice.

Graphics - It looks nice enough. I smiled when I looked out the big bay window to see the exterior of Citadel Station with Saturn in the background. That right there is the Good Stuff.

Gameplay - Pretty faithful to the original. The hacking minigames / puzzles are a nice diversion, and cyberspace is simply a lot better than the original (which I always thought was by far the weakest element of the game). Yeah, it’s old school big-map level navigation, but I absolutely would not have it any other way.

I have run into a couple things that ought to be fixed:

Every time you enter a room the corpses flop around and “die” again. Some kind of bug with the physics engine or something I suppose.

And when I’m in the MFD screen and hover over the options on the right, the tooltip is displayed off screen, thusly:

I definitely do not regret the purchase.

This is killing me. I’m enjoying myself, but I wouldn’t mind a little less 90’s fidelity on autosaving!

Does the remake preserve the different difficult settings for story, combat, puzzles, etc?

Yes45

How is the controller support? I noticed it was “partial controller support” only?

I have read it’s missing the ability of right click on a item to use it, discard it or turn it to scrap. I don’t know if it’s true.

I wish I could close the interfaces I open with right click with another right click. But that’s a pet peeve mor than anything serious.

Continuing briefly with the tech talk, yeah, AR/VR is another world, I’m not including it in what I wrote.

And yes, there is also diminishing returns for screen resolution. In fact the other day I was thinking about it. I remember in old 3d games how aliasing was a plague, how I wished I could activate a MSAAx4 but it was too expensive for my back then cheap computer. How in some games, because the environment they used, it could be really bad (typical example, telephone lines over poles, mountains and tree profiles against the sky, etc) with jagged edges everywhere. I hated it.
All that has been fixed. It has been a while since I saw a game and thought ‘oh, obvious aliasing here’. The solutions has been a mix of high resolution monitors, software anti-aliasing solutions and solutions like DLSS.

then again we went from $200 gpus to $1200 gpus :/

Zelda looks extremely bad, on a technical level. But that’s running at like 360p upscaled via FSR1 on 2013-era mobile hardware.

Ah ok. That explains why I can’t recycle stuff in my inventory. And why to get rid of it, I have to pick it up and throw it.

I was thinking I’d pick up a recycling module or something later in the game.

Other than that, I really like the controller support btw.

Edit: Nope, played some more. You need a recycle machine to recycle stuff. To vaporize stuff in your inventory, you use the Y button. So the Y button is the equivalent of right-click I guess.

You can’t recycle stuff in your inventory period, at least at the start. You need an actual recycler machine, which turns detritus into credits. Scrapping (on right-click, using M+K on PC) can turn inventory items into scrap. But as was previously mentioned, I can’t speak to what scrap is used for(I’m still early in).;

I played the original when it was released, and I was obsessed with it back then. I played this for a few hours yesterday. Spent way too long figuring out the med bay switch puzzle. Finally cracked it and went down the lift only to be immediately incinerated by a bot. I hadn’t saved. I actually LOL’d and then went and did the puzzle again. The sort of pixelated graphics don’t bother me. I’m actually having a blast playing this.