Tabletop RPGs 2021

You are not the only person who was turned off by 3rd edition’s style - I couldn’t get a couple of my friends to even properly try 3E because of it. I suspect Jenna got a lot of feedback to that effect. There’s still a lot of cool (and funny) stuff in it. I am a little sad that I don’t have the Chuubo’s HC, but…it’s also not explicitly a Nobilis thing and I’m probably never gonna play it and, ultimately, oh well.

Anyone know if there is much of a difference between the Marc Miller Traveller games and the Mongoose editions? Seems like they are both publishing games. The last I played was MegaTraveller back in the early 90s.

Marc Miller is madness for noodlers into nostalgia and Mongoose is for people who actually want to play a Campaign.

Very much into @BiggerBoat’s solo-able Ironsworn. This was me adventuring with coffee on Sunday morning:

Then today the hardcovers arrived, just 9 days after ordering on DriveThruRPG. The dogs were clearly disappointed, but I’m stoked to have the physical copies:

Beauties! (jealously)

What a lovely playscape! I love to see people journaling their play session. It gives me warm fuzzies.

And thanks for the purchases!

I miss those leisurely mornings when I got a chance to play my own damn game, as opposed to these days when I am stumbling out of bed and trying to get a couple of hours of layout or writing in before the day job starts to hammer me.

Cool initiative involving a ton of good publishers like Evil Hat, Chaosium, and Monte Cook Games with a full month’s worth of activities/steps to get started/improve as a GM :)

Really cool initiative, thanks for sharing that!

We’ve come full circle in Fallout.

Huh! Did they use the GURPS ruleset?

Nope. Something called “2D20” which I’ve never heard of before.

Oh, Modiphius, that tracks. They use this 2d20 system in their licensed RPGs for settings as diverse as Conan and Dune. Even though I own their Star Trek RPG, I have yet to get it to table to see how well it plays.

It’s what Modiphius uses in house for all their stuff. I backed a couple things early on when you were funding like 12 sourcebooks for a hundred bucks or whatever but I never ended up reading any of it and most of their licenses I don’t want to play an RPG in. (Many I like, but licenses + RPGs are, in the main, a bad combo IMO.)

I’ve been debating on getting Ironsworn for a while. I do have the .pdf on my iPad, but want the real thing. Weird that I should stumble back to Qt3 after a little hiatus and you all have been going on without me doing the things I have been doing. ;) And that evidently Mr. Ironsworn himself is an active member!

I just don’t trust that I will put aside the time to learn and do it as I have the worst time trying to sit down and read anything or learn one of my dozens of boardgames that remain in shrink. I have listened to several episodes of Shawn and his son’s Ironsworn podcast and loved the AlwaysPlayerOne episodes in which they gush over it and in a subsequent one have Shawn on. My initial hesitancy with a perceived lack of creativity was addressed in the first AP1 episode as they had several of the same reservations I had.

Wishing you all the luck with Starforged @BiggerBoat !

I bought the hardcovers of the base game and the Delve supplement to support Shawn but also because I enjoy consulting the books while I play. They’re nicely designed. Last weekend I sat on my front porch reading them.

Chris Metzen (over 20 years working on Blizzard games like Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft and Overwatch) who retired to work on his own projects has just launched a Kickstarter for a very cool looking 5E setting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warchief/auroboros

The mark of the serpent seems like a cool way to put a price on using that powerful magic too.

More info on the world:

I love what I’ve seen of it, but it’s quite pricy. Even disregarding the over the top wyrmwood add-ons. And since I have 3 unplayed Alien sourcebooks / campaigns behind me, I should probably think twice about backing it.

Looks interesting, and I was about to say that I have little interest in other peoples campaign world, but then again - I just backed the Free League Symbaroum kickstarter for the 5E conversion - at pretty much the highest level, because that looks like an absolutely brilliant setting!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/033/130/965/e089a77b7629e7ccb105d7ea14bfbb57_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1618465442&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=726226ddf689c2a918a46e61cc699e0b

The rich and nuanced Symbaroum setting revolves around the Ambrians – a civilization that two decades ago were forced to flee their ancestral soil after a devastating war. Their new and promised land borders on the vast forest of Davokar, covering the remnants of the Empire of Symbaroum which fell into ruin hundreds of years ago. Brimming with natural resources and mythical treasures, the forest calls out to the Ambrians to be explored and plundered, but the road into its depths lays far from open. Not only are the shadows beneath the foliage fraught with danger, monsters and infectious Corruption; there are also the elves of the Iron Pact who have vowed to die to keep anyone from disturbing the ruins of old, warning that the ancient evil of Symbaroum stirs in its sleep.

One of the really cool things about this kickstarter is that they have included Foundry VTT support, which is a godsend for people like me where daugthers live 150 KM’s in opposite directions!

I saw an announcement a few weeks back talking about it before the KS launched. I’ll admit, I was pretty disappointed. Not just because I have literally no interest in anything 5e related, but when he first announced he was doing ‘tabletop’ stuff back last fall, I’d hoped it would be some sort of boardgaming. Another 5e world/campaign setting? Yawn.

And I’m here, I just got the pdf files for The Wizard’s Grimoire, the little Vincent Baker zine thing I backed a few months ago. It looks like a neat little diversion, and hearing his The Sundered Lands is in a similar vein, I just went and picked that up, too (along with a few of his other weird games). Maybe now we’re all getting vaccinated, I can convince a few friends to sit around the fire pit in the back yard and goof off with some of these things.

All these new releases reminds me - I just saw this a few days ago.

Wanderhome - its a game set in a world, where one of the classes you can be is for instance a Veteran, carrying a sword that must never be drawn.
Its mainly about all the good times, helping others, exporing the world, and exploring and interacting with other denizens of the world.

While I have a hard time comphrehending how it works in actual play, it is immensly fascinating to me - An RPG where you aren’t supposed to stab people?

There is a very interesting review of the game over at Polygon

In Wanderhome, players take on the role of sentient animal folk traveling between the villages of Hæth, a world now free from its history of war and oppression. Sessions emphasize true collaborative storytelling, an orientation of play more focused on characters defining their places within a world than the influence they exert over it. In other games you level up, gather loot, and become capable of more efficient forms of dice-related violence. In Wanderhome , players avoid dice altogether and instead spend time describing their shared emotional journey.