Tabletop RPGs 2021

I take it your players mostly know the rules, then?

I use foundry because of all the automation and the help it gives players who knows little about the game rules. And of course, because of all the options!

I don’t run games with a lot of complex rules. There are a bunch of people that run DnD or Pathfinder with it too though as it does offer some automation. Just not Foundry or Fantasy Grounds levels. But it’s not it’s strength. I can whip up a character sheet for a new game in under an hour easy and away we go. And since it’s all build around the video chat you never loose sight of your players, which I like.

oh, Foundry and Roll20 both has video chat included in the main program, where you can see people all the time.

And sounds interesting! Its always nice to see alternatives!

It’s very different then those. While the other two have video too, Role builds everything around the video. It’s more a video chat with added dice, character sheets and white board then a tactical VTT.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Ah, I see - looks interesting.

Nice interview with @BiggerBoat about his forthcoming Ironsworn sequel, Starforged:

So, he’s provided an update about this, and it sounds neat. It uses the basic PbtA system of Moves (though here they’re called Exertions), and it basically flips the usual player/GM dynamic. One person is the player-he knows all the rules and something of the narrative. The other two volunteer people are essentially the GM. They don’t have to know anything, just answer the player’s questions as entertainingly as possible, and don’t have to be the same people every game. He wrote a guide for the volunteers:

Thanks for volunteering to play The Wizard’s Grimoire with me! Here are the rules.

• Your Goal in the Game:

You’re doing me a favor just by playing, so you don’t have to worry about winning or losing the game. Your goal is just to say things that you, personally, find honestly entertaining.

• Your Main Job:

Almost your only job is to get with the other volunteer and make up answers to my questions.

I’ll ask things like “I’m set upon by raiders. What are they like?” You and your fellow volunteer can imagine any raiders you want, exactly the raiders you find most fun, and tell me about them together.

If you want to ask me any questions before you answer mine, to make sure you’ve got all the details right or whatever, please do! I’ll be more than happy to answer them.

… etc. Sounds like a fine thing to play over Zoom or the Role thing I mentioned upthread.

Also note that if you’re backing his patreon you get this stuff digitally anyway.

I might just do that for the future? Supposedly this is going to be a whole series- mostly- Wizard’s Grimoire stuff, but also some Sword & Sorcery-style side stories (which I can say he totally gets after reading In A Wicked Age). He’s also said there’s no plan to have them released as a single volume, but since I have a history doing some bookbinding, that would be a fun project if I got them all digitally.

If you’re interested in good innovative RPGs and especially hearing about their development, it’s a good back.

The only Patreon I’ve ever supported is this qt3 one. I’ll have to give it a look.

Congratulations @BiggerBoat for your The One Ring stretch goal! That’s awesome.

I was about to post that!

Edit: Link, everybody back this now!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition/posts/3116933?ref=ksr_email_backer_project_update_registered_users

Thanks for the link! I was considering backing The One Ring, and that’s a nice additional incentive.

Thanks! Can’t believe I get to have some small part in this world and RPG system.

Pelgrane Press operates a very small and wildly underappreciated YouTube channel that has some fun videos, including short snippets wherein their chief writers knock out simple questions like “What’s Your Favorite GMing Tip?” or “What’s Your Favorite Monster”? as well as longer-form videos including actual plays and recordings of their seminars from last year’s GenCon Online, including a couple of lengthy master-classes.

Some of the playlists include links to videos hosted on other channels, including a few of Ryan Macklin’s old interviews. Miss that guy. Wrote a lot for Fate and ran a great blog for it, but kinda fall off the face of the earth and sadly his blog went down awhile back, too.

I got my copy of Glitch in the mail this morning. It’s the sequel to the 2002 RPG Nobilis- one of my favorites, and this is done in a similar style. Super excited to dig in and read it. I’m also super disappointed to find out that both my old copies of Nobilis(2E) have disappeared- I still have a digital copy, but that was one of the few books I actually wanted to hold on to. Bummer.

Yeah, it’s gorgeous. I am very glad I opted to get the hardcover even though I almost never back RPGs for the physical copy, since I don’t usually get to play them and I have limited shelf space. It’ll join my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition Nobilis hardcovers.

I lost my 1st edition on the bus, I think, right around the time the 2nd came out. I never bought the 3rd- the anime-style turned me off big time. I’m really glad this one is a return to the 2nd edition style. Now if I could just locate those other copies…