Tainted Grail: Conquest, Wyrdness galore

Well boo.

Fall of Avalon is supposed to enter EA in March. Some new footage today, showing a beta version of the prologue:

Early access will launch with chapter 1, supporting 10-15 hours of gameplay.

When this first popped up on my radar I was thought “tainted grail, isn’t that the card game?“ I figured this naming convention would lead lead to some massive trademark issues. But then I found out that this game and the card game are done by the same company so it’s a shared universe.

It looks pretty interesting from what I’ve seen. Definitely adding it to my wish list.

The development is a bit convoluted. The Kickstarter for TG:FoA was seeking £40k, but pulled in nearly 5 million. They said they were going to do a digital version that backers would get for free. It was never intended to be a straight digital conversion, but it was going to be a card game that would take the game in directions mechanically that weren’t well-suited to a physical medium.

The game we know as Conquest began as a test version of the combat system for that game. But Conquest grew and expanded into its own (awesome) game. Some time later, the devs announced they were completely changing Fall of Avalon into a 3D open-world rpg with nary a card to be found.

I’m interested in this because I liked the world-building, music, etc. in Conquest so much, but I’d still love to see them do some form of card-based adventure.