Tariff like it's 1897, Trump's Great Economy, Maybe the Best Ever

Retaliatory Whisky tariffs seems like a dumb decision on the part of the EU. Sure, it’s manufactured in states that elect GOP politicians, but Trump is a teetotaler and has zero empathy for either his enemies or his supporters. Even if GOP politicians start condemning Trump’s actions (hahahahahahaha, breath, hahahahahaha) it’s not like Trump would care.

But he does care about his image, very much so. His core supporters look at him through rose colored glasses, but if you can interrupt that, you can make gains.

It’s not aimed at him, it’s aimed at his base.

Right now, Republicans are screwed without Trump. None of the other GOP candidates could have beaten Hillary.

China announced that it will counter-attack with retaliatory tariffs.

I think they’re overestimating the amount that Trump will care about the fortunes or opinions of a (minority) of his base, and underestimating the stupidity of his supporters. We’ll see what happens.

Tariffs are only feasible as a political move because people simply don’t know anything about how the global economy (hell, even their local economy) works. Worse, they don’t care; I’m pretty convinced that Trump supporters are really nihilists in disguise. They’ve already convinced themselves their damned and the world is going to hell anyhow, so they might as well take their enemies with them.

A bunch of them are old and just don’t need to actually deal with the repercussions of their actions.

Although when they tank the market entirely and they lose all their retirement savings, that will be funny.

Less funny when I lose my retirement savings along with 'em. Not that a 401k matters once all we’re trading in are bottle caps.

Trade war starts in earnest today. Hold onto your butts.

Kind of surprised the market is up today.

Well I mean nothing’s really changed right now. What anxiety there is over the start of the trade war is already baked in.

Things will likely change once the effects start being felt.

I don’t know, seen a few articles about the effects are already being felt.

Just saw a stat that …70% of sales and profits for the S&P 500 come from overseas markets…. It’s going to hurt when this really kicks in.

As KevinC says, this has been known about for a while, so it’s all already baked in.

But we’re already feeling the effects. The Dow is down 3% since January.

conservatives would be “shouting to the high heavens” if former President Obama had ___________________________________

Entirely true.

Yeah, it was only noteworthy for having been said on Fox.

U.S. Unveils Additional Tariffs on $200 Billion More in Chinese Imports. New levies follow last week’s initial round of duties on $34 billion in Chinese goods

The new round of tariffs comes on top of two others and is bound to be met with threats of retaliation from Beijing.

Officials in both nations say there are currently no negotiations scheduled, but a senior administration official said the U.S. was willing to talk with China about a resolution.

Willing to talk:

US: We are willing to discuss the tariff business.
China: What the fuck do you mean discuss? Knock this shit off. You tariff, we tariff back. Over and over until economies tank!
US: So you don’t want to discuss it. Okay.

The Chinese have been busy talking to the rest of the world, while we continue to piss off everyone, except Russia. Everyone is just going to start cutting us out eventually, and by the time we get a normal government again, no one will trust us.