Tartar Sauce discussion thread/poll

Seriously, where can I find these fancy tartar sauces? I really can’t remember every seeing anything besides sweet pickle relish and mayonnaise. And what do you put it on besides fish and chips?

Mix some mayo with some chopped pickles, capers, chives, fresh parsley, green olives, horseradish, chopped hardboiled egg, dijon mustard, a splash of vinegar, a dash of black pepper, some worcestershire sauce, a touch of pepper sauce and a squeeze of lemon.

Now dip a fried clam in it.

“Let the fools have their tar-tar sauce.”

I need to try putting capers in that, I loves me some capers.

Never was there a thread more representative of Qt3 than this one. You have all the elements:

1. A random topic that you would think no one cares about, but surprisingly many do;

2. A random quote from a movie probably few people have seen (a reference to classic RPG will do as a substitute);

3. At least one know-it-all recitation of the ULTIMATE in whatever the random topic is.

There is no need for tartar sauce unless you’re trying to mask badly cooked or rancid fish.

I loved tartar sauce when I was a kid but I have not eaten a fish stick in 20 years and that was the only thing I ever ate tartar sauce on :)

Its Patchouli

It’s the thought that counts…

I voted for the hippie pickles.

Dill pickles are the work of the devil.

bigdruid?

Salt hater, burn the heretic!

VVV hehe

Why are the Tatars picked on? It’s a French invention ment to accompany Beouf Tartar. Which is raw beef. I know the tartars and raw horse is more their style. The french once again suck.

I had a natural suspicion of tartare sauce (based on frequent sachet-based disappointment) until a couple of weeks back. I’d bought a jar of capers and my first idea was to make some homemade tartare sauce - chopped capers, mayonnaise, english mustard and worcester sauce. Had it on fishcakes with some new potatoes, it was pretty good. I’ll have to try out some of these more sophisticated recipes you guys have come up with.

I had a weird idea, I was considering using some Korean Mayo, it’s very heavy on egg, and tastes absolutely awesome. That, and capers, and cucumber instead of dill pickle. Also, yay for thread necromancy. :)