Tell us what’s happened to you recently (that’s interesting) Part Deux

Congratulations! The moving process is always a pain, but look at it as an opportunity to de-clutter a bit.

HHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

You have not met the Mrs. She has looked at the floorplan several times with a view to getting a bigger cupboard etc. Plus the new kitchen is notably larger, so she has already cluttered that up too.

My contribution to this is wanting an air fryer (everyone swears by them and they seem very suited to making keto friendly things like coconut prawns. Thoughts on this forum?)

I have had to veto her on a steamer, rice cooker, dishwasher.

Hey, congrats on the new place!! I’m sure you’re excited, that’s a very long closing!

We love our air fryer, and I’ve warmed up coconut shrimp in mine too. It’s very quick. I’ve also made wings and other things enough that it’s the go to device for those now.

But that being said, I wouldn’t push out a dishwasher. Ours gets run every night. In our split of duties at the house, my wife is absolutely not a dish cleaning kind of person. We would quickly sink under the dish backlog without a dishwasher.

That doesn’t look keto friendly at all.

On keto we don’t really use our air fryer much. We do use the crock pot a ton, though.

Oh, with “10 months” I was referring to getting finances in order, finding a suitable place etc.

With the current place, I saw the ad on Feb 9th, viewed in Feb 11, it was taken off the market Feb 13th and my offer was accepted Feb 14th - so it was pretty fast. Just a slow build up.

WRT dishwasher -there are 2 of us, and I end up fasting fairly often, like missing lunch today because I got caught up practicing web site development, so I am not convinced of the need.

Plus, my ready cash supply has diminished, and what is left has to cover expenses on 2 properties fopr maybe a month, while we move and then rent the current place out.

So, every expense is going to hurt for May and June.

She has offered to pay alot of stuff, but (stupid?) male pride has so far stopped me, so I might jut let her pay all the kitchen stuff and a new desk for me. The current one is cumbersome to carry and if I disassemble it, I doubt I will be able to reassemble it properly. Also, it was inherited, so no ties :).

I picked the first good looking coconut shrimp recipe. Silly me.

I might start an air fryer thread.

“She” being your wife? Unless you have a prenup, all your money is hers, and vice versa…

Congrats on the house! Buying one is such a huge pain in the ass.

Oh we are not married.

And if we were to marry I would get an uber pre-nup :).

For me, it was the financing - having random strangers go over your taxes for 3 plus years, and your accounts etc.

I got refused one mortgage because they thought I was spending too little every month.

And another because the apartment to be remortgaged sits in a block with too high a rental/owner ratio - which is odd as it is that exact rent that will pay the remortgage, so surely you’d think the lender would want this.

Yeah, the credit system is super rigid. They really want to fit you into one of their boxes, so something like

becomes a liability when it is obviously a good thing.

Are you both on the mortgage, or is it just your house?

Edit: actually, strike that, you don’t need to tell some internet rando (me) anything. Carry on.

Just mine.

She has savings and a decent salary, so for the next one we will pool our resources but it will be all hers.

Don’t get me started on the madness that was being treated like I was a huge credit risk to the point of being unable to get a loan or most credit cards because I had never gone into debt over 30+ years of life. (I eventually managed to find a shitty low limit, annual fee credit card that I took and used lightly for a few years and now I’ve got a pretty good credit score and managed to graduate to a full credit card w/ $2k limit, cashback and no fee just a couple weeks ago.)

That is so funny, I had to do the same thing. Started lightly using credit cards I didn’t even want, just to start bumping up the credit rating. Now I’m around 800, and I talked to the credit union I am a member of earlier this week about getting a car loan. I don’t even want $20k–I see no point in flashy expensive cars–and he dude came back immediately with "oh, you are pre-approved for up to $60,000!)

WTF?

Fortunately I was able to avoid needing to get a credit card with an annual fee. I got some Citibank something-or-other right out of college, probably because I already had an account with them. I guess I had student loans, too, that I was “current” on, having just, you know, paid the very first installment.

My wife was not so lucky, she had to apply for several credit cards before one finally took. (Still managed to avoid any annual fees.)

Only debt now is the house, which is “good” debt in that the interest is (probably) lower than the stock market returns.

We like ours. The things it cooks it cooks really well. I think this is the one we just got:

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCO124BM-Digital-Countertop-Black/dp/B08FVWKK7T/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgYSTBhDKARIsAB8Kuksprqjp6bI7V4Vx47eLoObST6-nyBF82EYgaA9D_NLMK4yjxey8HDUaAu0tEALw_wcB&hvadid=477561720361&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9022860&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14658784024630291338&hvtargid=kwd-1029554465731&hydadcr=20214_10157570&keywords=kitchenaid%2Bair%2Bfryer%2Btoaster&qid=1650561804&sr=8-3&th=1

What’s nice is it has different cooking settings. You can air fry, toast bread, use it like a toaster oven, and even use it like a microwave. Just to give an example, the air fry setting does a fantastic job of reheating leftover pizza. It comes out hot and crisp instead of hot and mushy like a microwave would do.

We got rid of our old air fryer, our toaster, and our microwave when we got this. Freed up a lot of counterspace.

My sister swears by the Ninja brand.

The nearest thing (to your Kitchen Aid) that I can find on UK Amazon is this:

Ninja Foodi 10-in-1 Multifunction Oven [DT200UK] Mini Oven, Countertop Oven, Air Fry, Pizza, Silver/Black : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

That looks similar. I like ours but it is only a week old in our house. The GF has used it more than me. The old air fryer we replaced did a great job on steak, hamburger, chicken, anything frozen that might normally be deep-fried, like french fries (chips I guess for you), pizza rolls, etc.

With our new one it did a bang-up job of reheating leftover restaurant pizza – it tasted like it did when we had it fresh at the restaurant. The GF has used it to make toast. She may have used it for something else but sometimes I hear “dinner’s ready” and don’t ask how she cooked it.

It seems to me air fryers are basically ovens that circulate the hot air. They seem to cook much more evenly than does a regular oven.

Indeed. I am now wondering whether to go for a mulkti oven, an air frier or a multi cook thing like this:

Ninja Foodi MAX 15-in-1 SmartLid Multi-Cooker 7.5L [OL750UK] Smart Cook System, Digital Cooking Probe, Pressure Cooker, Air Fryer : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

A precision oven is, at least for me, the best of all worlds. We love our Anova Precision Oven and use it for pretty much everything these days. We’ve only done a little bit of air frying with it, but it did a good job when we did.

It started strangely. I can see into the master bathroom from my side of bed. I leave the door open to remain asleep when I pee. One night I notice something wrong. There is a thin slice of light coming from the bathroom ceiling. Light where there should be no light. Light where there was never light before. I’ll be honest, I was a little creeped out. I mention it to the wife the next day. She is very creeped out.

The light is coming from under the attic access hole. So today we brought the ladder out. I popped the board that covered the hole. There was a light on in the attic area. How did it turn itself on? Ghosts? Squirrels? Was someone living up there?

The ladder is too short for me to climb in there. So I reseat the board to block out the light. The last person to be up there was the alarm tech that set up our burglar/fire alarm. 10 years ago.

The wife figured it out. The board had always fit snugly. Shower steam had warped it. This allowed light to seep out. Okay.

Two issues. This bulb has been lit for 10 years. Sucking up electricity for 10 years. Alarm guy was costing us money. How the hell did an incandescent bulb last that long? It looked like a low wattage bulb. 40 or 60 watts. So maybe that’s why?

I’m not happy leaving a bulb lit in the enclosed space. But neither of us can get up there. Is it worth it to hire someone just to turn off a light? We might just do that.