Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Not cooking per se, but: I’m making hard cider! My wife got me a microbrew kit a few years ago, and I made the IPA it came with (it was fine), but haven’t touched it since. For Christmas this year, she got me a “refill” for the kit to use to ferment up some apple cider (it was basically just yeast and sanitizer).

Fermentation is really cool, and once you have the hardware, surprisingly easy (maybe not surprising, since it literally the first thing civilized man did). I’ve accidentally made hard cider many times in my fridge (buy unpasteurized cider, forget to throw it away), but this one has somewhat more reliable yeast.

My only job now is to drink a dozen or so bottled beers in the next couple weeks so I have something to bottle it in. Such a sacrifice.

Cooked for the family around Christmas time. I forgot to get pics of the first night’s dinner, but it was
Prosciutto-Crusted Chicken with Endive
You cut four 8-ish oz chicken breasts in half horizontally to make cutlets, sprinkle salt, pepper and grated parmesan on them, drape a slice of prosciutto over each, then cover them with plastic wrap and pound them with the bottom of a skillet a few times to flatten them and get the prosciutto to stick. (The package only had seven slices so I used bacon - covered in a variation - as the topping for the 8th cutlet.) Then you cook them in batches in a large skillet with some olive oil, flipping once to cook both sides (the wrapped side needs more time). Once each batch finishes, it goes into the oven (at 200F) to keep warm. Then you cook 4 heads of Belgian endive in the skillet with a bit more oil and salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve. (We couldn’t find Belgian endive so I used curly endive and a greens mix. It later turned out another local supermarket we went to did have it and it would probably have been very different. Oh well.)

Also threw in a side of Brussel Sprouts with Bacon. Basically just cooking some bacon, then adding the sprouts, steaming them a bit and then letting the water evaporate so they crisp up.

I was planning on making the pork roast I made with my parents back in September but it turned out my grandma doesn’t have a roasting pan (she has cooking stuff dating back to the 70s so I would have assumed, but apparently not) and had bought a boneless roast instead of a bone-in and the combination would have meant more improvising than I was comfortable with. So instead I cut parts of the boneless roast off for two separate dinners (I had planned a third but then we went out and ate instead, which I was okay with). Firstly, there was…

Broiled Pork Paprikash with Red Peppers

You add the juice of one lemon, chopped fresh parsley, garlic, 4 or so chopped red peppers and 1 1/2 pounds of boneless pork shoulder (in that order), stir it up with olive oil, red wine, sour cream, paprika, salt and pepper, and then add the lot to a rimmed baking sheet. It says to separate the veggie and the pork at this point and start the veggie first, but frankly that made no sense after having just stirred things together, so I dumped them all on and broiled for around 8 minutes, which turned out fairly well (a few bits of pork were a little pink in the middle, so I should maybe have gone another minute or two).

I accompanied it with Two Step Broccoli

Nuke the broccoli with a little water in a microwave safe container for like 4 minutes. Top with grated parmesan (or cheddar), salt and pepper. Broil in an oven for 2 minutes in an oven safe container (if your microwave safe container is oven safe also, as this was, bonus). Done.

Next night was Braised Pork with Cabbage and Beer

Slice up 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder. Put it in a skillet with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook it until lightly browned. Slice up an onion and add it, cooking until it’s softened. Trim, core and shred a head of cabbage (and yes, that’s just one head of cabbage), then add it to the skillet along with caraway seeds, mustard seeds, a cup of beer (Miller Lite, in this case, since that’s what they had), red wine or cider vinegar, and another sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook for another 8-12 minutes. (The cabbage was shredded by food processor and I have got to get me one of those.)

It was accompanied by Sauteed Sweet Potatoes

Peel and shred 4-5 sweet potatoes (food processor again). Sautee them in some olive oil for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring more regularly. Done. You can mix in garlic cloves + sage leaves, chipotle chiles in adobo, or minced ginger to the oil as you’re starting (I did ginger), and then top with lime juice or soy sauce (for variation 2 or 3 respectively) at the table, and I would recommend doing so. Mmm.

I was going to do a variation of the Braised Pork and Cabbage recipe with celery and Riesling and Glazed Brussel Sprouts with Vietnamese Flavors the final night, but oh well.

All recipes from How to Cook Everything Fast, incidentally.

I have no idea what that abomination is that you created, but my inner Hungarian is screaming at me to tell you that it most certainly is NOT paprikash! D:

My poor grandmother is rolling over in her grave right now!

Would you be proud to partake of his pecan pie?

-xtien

It’s probably as much paprikash as the original recipe (to which that is a variant) is souvlaki. But it’s fast and I’m guessing it uses some of the same flavors. Don’t worry, I have actual paprikash recipes somewhere and will be making it sooner or later!

Whatever it is, it inspired me to look up paprikash, and now I want to make it!

One thing that seemed really weird about what you described, was the idea of only cooking pork shoulder for 8 minutes under a broiler.

How is that even possible? On some level, I’m skeptical that it could even cook the meat to not be raw, but beyond that, a pork shoulder has so much connective tissue that I always cook it for a really long time, so that all the collagen breaks down into gelatin.

But since it came from that cooking things fast book, maybe there’s some rational to this? was the pork tough or anything?

I think I’d make it in a more traditional fashion, in my dutch oven, and let it simmer for a long time before adding in the sour cream.

You chop it into smallish chunks, and I discarded most of the fat. There were one or two gristly bits but mostly it was fine (and FWIW I think 8 minutes is actually a pretty long time to broil something, especially on high).

Most things will char if you leave it until a broiler too long. There’s a reason so many pots, pans and bake ware are not to be used under the broiler setting.

Yeah, I don’t know why you would use shoulder for that (hell I smoked some for about 22 hours over the weekend) when you could easily use some other part o the pig.

Well, a) we had it, and b) it was probably cheap at the time of writing or something.

Oh, definitely shoulder is cheap. Tasty too.

Shoulder is super cheap, so if it worked after just cooking it for 8 minutes, then that’s badass. I’m just amazed it would.

Go to Stew. Latest iteration. This time with celery to keep the haters away. ;) Larger chunks of carrot and potato. Extra crushed garlic. And a combo of soy sauce, oyster sauce and a dash of red wine vinegar for a high note. Bit of sage, allspice and celery seed. Salt free beef broth and a splash of crushed tomatoes. Flour dusted the beef before sauteing. 320 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours in the oven. Like buttah.

Went a little nuts on Thai cuisine over the last week. Similar to stuff I’ve posted before, but I’m really refining the recipes down and perfecting the techniques (insofar as you can “perfect” stir fry-style cooking on a shitty, low-BTU-equivalent electric cooktop).

Shrimp Pad Thai with gratuitous shot of my new mortar and pestle. Got some carrots, garlic chives, green onions, and snap peas in there, but not much else, cuz my gf doesn’t like many veggies. Peanuts and cilantro on top; the stir fry sauce itself was assembled, rather than purchased.

Shrimp and Tofu Fried Rice, using leftover Jasmine rice from the Panang Curry we had earlier in the week, plus snap peas, carrots, onions, jalapenos (couldn’t find Thai chilies this week), red bell pepper, green onions, and Thai basil, topped with peanuts and cilantro. Also an assembled sauce!

For a friend’s NYD BBQ and Boardgames party, I made some sweet/creamy coleslaw, sweet-style cornbread, and collard greens. I was a little disappointed with the last–across four grocery stores, I could not find any ham hocks, so I used smoked pork necks. I’ve never really shredded the ham hock meat into my greens (I prefer bacon if anything) and just use 'em for flavor, but the pork necks kinda dissolved and shredded themselves during cooking, lending the greens a really meaty flavor (and texture) that I didn’t find very pleasant, TBH.

My buddy James contributed some vinegary NC-style BBQ and deep fried tots (from a bag), while our friend Josh brought in some delicious baked beans and even-better banana pudding (tragically not pictured). It was a really tasty day!

Bonus: gratuitous Castle Panic (with xpack!) shot. Hint: we won, with one wall and two towers (neither of which was the wizard’s) standing!

How is Castle Panic? It’s been on my list for a while, and I have some gift cards for the local game store thanks to Christmas.

In keeping with the thread topic, my wife and i recently busted out the stand mixer we got as a wedding gift, and the pizza stone we got for our most recent anniversary, and put together our first properly-homemade pizza.

This dough recipe is a little bready, so I’m going to experiment with a few things in the coming weeks—less rise time and/or less yeast.

Your pepperoni is crooked! :P

Yup. It was supposed to be half-pepperoni, and it ended up being a really weird half. :P

Did you cut it like this?

It looks like a pizza palette.

From my recent adventures in pizza, my pizzas always end up a lot less even and picturesque after cooking then they were laid out originally, because they still stick to the peel a little.