Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Oh heck you’re right! Driving while posting, never great for accuracy! I looove Flautas and most of them around here are horrible. Tex-Mex flautas are surprisingly bad. Those look bad-ass!

Seriously, thank you guys. Just about the only thing I like more than eating for myself is cooking for others :)

PS @Timex that lamb last week is gorgeous.

No seriously. Food truck. My place. Make it happen.

Indeed it is. I’m actually surprised you managed to get it so evenly pink in the oven. I usually have to sous vide to get a result like that. Though I guess if you were cooking at 131F thats basically what you were doing. I usually aim for 54C when doing lamb.

Yeah, it was sous vide. You can’t get that result just from roasting.

Dude, awesome looking meal and that is a serious tip I’m going to employ. I’ve done just about everything BUT that but can never nail the right flavor in Mexican restaurant rice.

I have no idea where I read it now, but it has thus far proven basically life-changing. Still gotta fry the rice for awhile in hot oil, watch ratios on your water/salt/etc., and I just toss the veggies in to steam-thaw at the end rather than cooking them in the rice directly, but this is as close as I’ve ever gotten. Barring just camping out in the kitchen at Mi Rancho down the road from my place, I don’t think it’s getting better than this :)

We have a place nearby that my girlfriend and I hold up as the gold standard of good Mexican style rice and beans with their food. I really should ask them about their rice, but I’m willing to try your method anyway, as I usually make rice with broth/stock/bullion anyway, your tip sounds ideal.

Ah, I’d misread your post. That makes much more sense.

Not to drag politics in here, but a friend posted this on Facebook tonight after a birthday dinner with his son and it seems relevant somehow :P

Haha! I love the humor.

After my post I was reminded that someone once told me besides Arroz Rojo, there is also a common green rice, Arroz Verde. It features poblano, cilantro, onion and garlic. I really want to try an authentic version of it because all of those flavors sound like they would make me very happy in a rice dish.

I liked it as a burrito stuffing but I had to use a wooden spoon to beat my wife away from it before I could stuff the burritos.

Taken out of context, that sounds like a great night, Gendal. :)

I rewrote that line from beat to beat with wooden spoon and off to away, all trying to make it sound less offensive and or risque. I completely missed the wooden double entendre.

It’s fine, we love the double entendres around here. Without them, stuffing the burritos just isn’t as fun.

Just be careful about describing how you fill the cannoli. Talking about creamy centers could get quite steamy.

Speaking of, has anyone ever made a cannoli? They’re delicious, but way out of my wheelhouse (I’m a cook, not a baker).

It finally happened. The Hungarian-ometer hit a low point and I had to make paprikash. Oh man. My soul is singing right now :D Made it with smoked paprika again this time and it’s just so amazing this way. I have to actively resist going into the kitchen and eating the rest of it right now.

Browning the chicken and onion

Dumpling batter

Boiling dumplings. Mine vary in size quite a lot but I like it that way. It’s nice to have some small ones and some big ones. They’re all delicious :)

Paprika is in and makes the color very lovely :)

This is always the most magical moment when making paprikash. You combine the simmering chicken/spices with the sour cream and flour and it turns into this lovely creamy heaven right before your eyes

Pile of dumplings ready for sauce!

This is the best way to taste test to make sure the seasoning is just right. It always needs more salt/paprika once you add the sour cream because all that dilutes what was already in there, obviously. Om nom.

Ready to stuff in my face :D

Also important to make sure you simmer the sauce a good while, at least 30 mins or so before you add the sour cream. It lets the chicken get reaaaaallly nice and tender and so it all just sorta falls apart into this peppery, creamy sauce and melds with the dumplings and oh man. I’m making this difficult on myself!

This is waiting in the wings for me to have a good, appropriate week for it, Eric. That looks amazing

What inspired you all to become such good chefs? I’m continually astounded by what I see.

I’m making my very first meatloaf tonight. No pictures, just thought I’d mention it. Added 25% more bread than the recipe called for because I love the mushiness it provides and always wanted more.