Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

Bet you could carefully cut most of that off if it tastes too burnt

BRB, moving to Eric’s house until all that chowder and fish are gone.

@RichVR Don’t sweat it, you can trim off something, at least enough for dinner. Been there, and done that, far too many times to count. My grill game is so-so.

I have some chicken cutlets in the fridge for a bit prior to frying. Originally 2 huge breasts, now 4 evenly pounded massive cutlets using the flour/egg/panko 3-station breading. They should firm up and glue to the panko in the fridge for just a few minutes. Not sure what to pair them with. I was thinking some simple pasta and a caesar salad. Or I may just skip the pasta.

To quote the wife: “The pork was so moist and tasty. The burnt part was actually good. Very smokey.”

But she has to say that. It’s in the contract.

Since I cut it thin the burnt part wasn’t that bad. It was just the fat cap. I wouldn’t do it again, but not such a failure. Thanks for your comments. I kinda liked it, personally. :)

I tried this, turned out great. Super easy. Used a pressure cooker for 25 minutes on high instead of a 3-4 hour simmer, reducing it didn’t take anywhere near as long as I feared.

Not as good as my go to pork al pastor recipe but also two orders of magnitude easier, so definitely entering the rotation.

Hey, the stuff that comes off the smoker looks like it burned up in the atmosphere on reentry. Not actually burnt, but there you go.

Here’s the pork belly:

There was a fat layer on top, so you only see the smoke ring on one side. This came out pretty interesting. I basically treated it like I would a brisket (different rub). When I’ve had pork belly before, it was too fatty. They didn’t cook it long enough to render the fat out. I had this on the heat for 15 hours and the end result is much closer to a brisket flat than what I expected.

We just finished up the chicken on Saturday over some churched up tamales, again. Still awesome. I’m going to steal your pressure cooking step for sure.

You have to share that pastor recipe though. I love anything similar.

Finished cooking last night. My original goal was chicken cutlets, pasta and a salad. I was taking some to my GF where she works as a surprise. As always, time was not on my side. Cooking is a learning process after all.

The cutlets needed to be chilled a bit prior to pan frying. It’s a small step, but it cements the breading to the chicken and keeps things from just peeling off. I could have saved time by not doing that step, but it’s worth it. Frying them up, was easy enough, and I threw them into a warm oven to hold until the rest was done.

Made some rigatoni and put it to the side initially, then sauteed some sliced garlic and pepper flakes in olive oil, added the pasta back in and thought I was all set.

The problem was that I just didn’t like the pasta e olio taste with the rigatoni. I needed something a little more flavorful. I spent the next 45 minutes flailing around but ended up making a quick pan sauce with broth/pasta water, butter, lemon juice, and a little brine from a jar of cherry peppers. That worked, tossed it in with the pasta, put the chicken on top, then topped it with some parm. At that point I didn’t have time for the salad, so I boxed two dinners up and took it over to where she worked and had dinner with her.

Lessons learned:
Plan for time on letting the breading firm up.
Get more sauce recipes, “up my sleeve.”
Make things ahead of time and keep warm versus having them ready last minute.

So to clarify, you pop them in the freezer for a bit after breading them? Because I am making pork cutlets tonite and I have had the issue with the breading not completely holding before.

For me, the fridge for about 45 min. My freezer is too full, I think that would work for a much shorter period of time.

Here’s the breading I did for 4 cutlets:
Pat the meat dry then lightly salt/pepper both sides

Dip in the container of just flour, try to coat it lightly, then shake off any excess.

Next, dip in a container of mixed raw egg/dijon = one egg per 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard. I used two eggs and two tablespoons of dijon. You could skip the dijon if you don’t need that flavor addition. Shake off the excess.

Next, dip in a mixture of panko bread crumbs (2 cups), grated parmesan (1/3 to 1/5 cup,) a teaspoon of lemon zest, and a small amount of salt/pepper to taste. Coat it well. Sit it on a small baking sheet and either put in the fridge for 45min to an hour, or in the freezer just long enough to chill but not freeze.

For the 1/4 inch thick or so chicken I had, fry time was about 3 minutes per side. Pork cutlets might be a bit different on your fry time.

This is what mine looked like prior to frying:

I don’t always cook chicken, but when i do, i make sure it’s dead. Was making some meal prep and followed the instructions - 3 minutes a side -. Then took a bite. F that. How about 6 minutes a side buddy? Juicy poultry my ass, i want it dried, charred, and cooked completely through. If it has a “bite” or crunch to it, back in the pan you’re going to go.

I grew up in a family which, i’m guessing, probably cooks turkey about twice as long as one is supposed to because omg juicy turkey is the worst. That stuff in the middle is barely cooked? Blegh. Kill it with fire i say!

I grew up in that family too, thinking I didn’t particularly care for turkey. Then as an adult I discovered that juicy tender turkey is actually delicious compared to the overcooked turkey-leather I’d been having at thankgiving for years.

I don’t let me my Mom make thanksgiving turkeys anymore, I always volunteer to bring a turkey even if she is hosting the family meal.

You would love my grilled chicken, then. I can’t seem to cook chicken on the grill that isn’t either still raw (so it goes back on the grill) or overdone so that it’s leather skin and dry inside.

It’s because most people suck at cooking turkey @Tortilla. Turkey is a thick bird, and by the time the central meat is done, the outer layers are turned into sawdust.

I was introduced to a better way a few years ago, and I would never go back to the traditional means. Spatchcock that bird. A full size bird cooked to juicy perfection in an hour to an hour and a half.

Hell yes. I followed the instructions over at serious eats this year for Thanksgiving and had the best Thanksgiving turkey I’ve ever had.

Me either. I gave up and use Sous Vide then a brief visit to the grill for idiot proof cooking.

It’s a Cook’s Illustrated recipe but you can find a version here:

It’s not the real thing, but I couldn’t care less.Some people complained in the comments about being dry, but I didn’t encounter that, far from it.

Perfect! I’ve bookmarked it. This will be the next taco night.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

Never heard of chilling the breaded item to help the coating stick on it after frying, will have to try that since I run into that all the time.

I don’t think very many people actually like turkey. They eat because it’s traditional. This year we decided to start a new tradition. From now on, it’s brisket for thanksgiving.

I personally hate turkey. Dislike the taste of the meat, don’t like the texture, even when fairly well prepared, and the ratio of dark meat (which no one in my household eats) to white is absurd, and while the breast roasts knock out the latter, I’d rather just do any other protein.

I’ve gotten the family to accept a huge, elaborate biryani as substitute on Xmas, but am working on something that can replace it on Tgiving. Unfortunately, my gf FIENDS for turkey skin, so I may just be out of luck on this one to keep the peace.