Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I think most people, when they buy crab, will buy a “dressed crab”. Basically the meat is picked and then put back in the shell. Usually the brown meat is to the side or the white meat is sitting on a bed of brown meat.

Obviously if you buy a whole crab, or specifically white or brown meat, then that’s what you get.

Ya, same stuff, although it sounds like brown crabs are a bit different maybe.

I’ve never really wanted to eat it… it grosses me out. But the rational part of my brain says, “Really, THAT grosses you out? But you’re fine with eating the rest of what is effectively a giant bug?”

Bugs are the new green protein, haven’t you heard. Cricket powder is in!

Ah, hell. Not sure if serious, but it’s coming, isn’t it?

It came, like, five years ago.

Honestly, I don’t really care much about eating bugs. All crustaceans are bugs.

I think I’d normally want to clean them first though, to get out the aforementioned goop.

My wife wanted to try cooking with cricket powder. She wrote up her experiences here.

Great article.

I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater, but … bugs.

Indeed. Even the picture on the bag would be enough to stop me from using it.

Those looked really good. I’d eat the heck out of those savory cricket and oatmeal snacks.

Well they might have snuck up five years ago but Chirps seem to actually be going mainstream.

Don’t get me wrong… I am kind of grossed out myself but it’s a thing, and crabs are just sea bugs… maybe I can come around… maybe not.

Its here

I’m having a pie problem and I need help.

I’m pretty good at pies. I haven’t been doing crust myself for some time, because why bother. Once I figured out how to do a homemade crust, I kind of checked it off the list and decided to rely upon the crusts at Trader Joe’s. They taste pretty darn good, and save a ton of time when I’m making, say, four pies at Thanksgiving. Other than bragging rights, I don’t really see the point of doing the crust myself.

I can consistently make a really good pecan pie. I’m good at apple. I’ve got a couple of fridge pies (chocolate, peanut butter, lemonade) that turn out well.

I’m having two areas of difficulty and I’m hoping you folks can help. Berry and cheesecake.

1.Berry: I have a three-berry pie I make that I’ve had good success with…until the last two rounds. I made one in November that basically turned out to be a soup pie. The last one I made, for my girlfriend’s birthday, was much better, but still too much liquid. What am I doing wrong all of a sudden?

Before baking:

After:

It tasted really good. Got good reviews. But it just wasn’t firm enough. This time of year I’m using frozen berries, and I keep them frozen. I toss them with sugar and corn starch, and then let them sit for about fifteen minutes, tossing every few minutes to make sure the sugar doesn’t all sit at the bottom of the mixing bowl. This time I used much more corn starch, which seemed to help.

Since the berries are frozen I extend the baking time. I extended it more this time, which again seemed to help. But not enough.

Does corn starch go bad? Could that be the problem?

2.Cheesecake: I honestly don’t know what to do with this. I’ve tried a couple of times and I just cannot get the hang of it. I’m using Alton Brown’s method and I’m about to give up on it. I suspect my spring-form pan isn’t working in the water bath (despite the aluminum foil wrapping). Again, they just turn out too loose. Like pudding instead of a set custard. I really want to get cheesecake into my repertoire, but I’m frustrated. It’s time consuming and expensive to experiment. So any pointers/recipes will be very welcome.

Thank you all!

-xtien

I had a few. A co-worker and I shared a serving. They were okay. Mostly just tasted like the chili spices and stale crispy bits.

The boss suggests defrosting the fruit in a collander so they can release any excess liquid. Also, you could try reserving some of your sugar/cornstarch mixture and spreading it on the bottom crust (she does this with rhubarb because it releases a lot of water).

Hmm. Interesting. I’ve read so much about not defrosting the fruit. I suppose this makes sense.

Does she blind bake the bottom crust before the sprinkling you speak of in her method for rhubarb?

-xtien

Tapioca flour/starch is the answer according to Cook’s Illustrated, who seems to always have good advice. Apparently the effect of cornstarch might be breaking down or not as effective due to the time at temp for baking the pie, thus your pie is loose, not firm.

I second this. Don’t dethaw them. It will make them worse. You want a thickener, but the right thickener. I’ve heard rumor you can try shredded apple too. I’ve not tried the apple, but I honestly don’t make pies often… but I do make cobblers and crisps which can also be watery.

Dang it! I think the first time I tried this pie I included shredded apple. I haven’t since, as I forgot that I used that method.

These are great suggestions you all are giving me.

-xtien

Yeah, the wife uses flour as opposed to cornstarch, but when I mentioned cornstarch was in use, didn’t seem to bother her.

@ChristienMurawski no, she doesn’t pre-bake the crust.

WRT inconsistent results, it sounds like you’ve just been getting extra juicy berries recently. Judging that is a matter of feel, though; no foolproof measures you can take up front AFAICT. Lots of different thickeners: flour, cornstarch, tapioca, pectin, even stuff like Instant Clear Jel (which I’ve never tried, but I’ve heard works like black magic), and each with merits depending on the fruit.

Letting the pie cool properly will also help.

Cost, flexibility, and ingredients, for me. Of the prepared doughs, Trader Joe’s looks to be remarkably close to homemade, but I’m not crazy about the palm oil.

I confess the bragging rights are nice. Nothing quite like the “scratch crust” halo :)