Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I honestly agree. It pretty much seasons itself. About the only think I fret is when I see rust, meaning it wasn’t protected enough and it’s time to redo it a bit.

After worrying about it a lot at first, I’ve come around here as well. I just make sure that when I cook something nice and oily, or fry something, I rub the oil around when I’m done, and that’s pretty much it.

I don’t really wash it, just deglaze with water if there’s anything gnarly on it when I’m done, and scrub it out with some salt if necessary.

I know y’all are right, but they’re just so pretty when they’re all smooth and shiny like that, and I get skillet envy.

Thanks for that link above, @Skipper!

-xtien

The bit about soap is the key. Sometimes that food shit won’t come off abd you have to use soap! Do not fret!!

This. Salt while it’s still warm. A bit of water if needed, to make a gritty paste. And then a wipe with oil.

I don’t normally cook like this during my lunch break but… I needed a break and something to keep my mind off of 8 hour server indexing.

That’s some impressive lunch cooking

Fuck yeah it is. That’s lovely, @Nesrie. Working from home has its benefits, apparently :-D

Haha. Yeah, but those late night calls can be interesting. For the moment yes I am very fortunate. I’ve come a long way from the odd jobs I had to do in my twenties like… ice-cream truck driver.

I am on a quest to eat fresh foods more often and not just on the weekends which means I am experimenting with what I can make in 30 minutes or 40 minutes and I am working with ingredients I haven’t used before and recipes too. So far the experiment is working out pretty well…

I’ve fashioned my meal prep around being able to produce quick dinners/lunches on my non-cooking days that are still “fresh” and generally what you’d call “hot meals.”

So, for instance, on “cooking day,” I might make spicy shredded chicken, guacamole, cilantro-lime rice, and smoky, spicy beans, then keep stuff like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, and tortillas on hand. Each day for lunch (I live about 6 minutes from work, so I have close to an hour to cook, eat, and clean up), I can quickly whip up a burrito and panini-griddle it, a few tacos, a rice-and-bean bowl, or even a quesadilla. Kinda like Taco Bell, the ingredients are the same, but the presentation is different ;-). Anyway, it makes it feel like each day has some variety, but still focuses most of the “work” on one or two nights of the whole week.

Nesrie, I have to agree here, that looks awesome!

My experiments so far, in trying new things, upping my grocery budget (apparently I was way under according to articles and conversations here), and seeing what I can prep ahead are working out pretty well. Fish tacos might work if i get the slaw ready in advance, the above had a poblano sauce I could make ahead pretty easily too. I’ll play around with tenderizing and marinating different meats too. The steak in that was the easiest part.

Since my team is about 60% virtual now, and in other states, they have a habit of calling during my lunch break… need to just not answer that and call them back to do a full lunch.

Thanks! I had fun playing around with it.

I work from home about 10% currently, that may grow more. If you can figure out a good solution to that, please let me know.

The only one I’ve found that sort of works is changing to Do Not Disturb on Skype… i feel guilty using it though. I put away but the clients barely use Skype and my team knows they can just call. Plus I want them to call in an emergency, if the server goes down but today I just went to lunch an hour later, after I helped someone and ignored all messages until I entered the office again. Technically, we have a paging system for emergencies that no one uses.

I did that today, while I had a contractor having me write a check for work he was doing. No cares by others. I had Skype pings going off in the background like popcorn popping.

Has anyone written a novel or even study on the fact that we have no time anymore without interruption?

:(

If you put the Do not Disturb up, they can’t even message you. It’s Busy, is the one with the white line. It basically tells people you’re there, but don’t bother me. It’s the same mode it should go into if you are Presenting as well.

My Dad sent me an panicked message because my sister is on the East coast… she went to the lake to deal with their property there… it was only a few hours that he didn’t text her, in area that has a lot of power and internet issues and you’d think he hadn’t called her for days. It’s like he can’t even remember when it would take people half a day or maybe even a full day to call others back.

Sitting down to eat a full meal in quiet… super hard now.

I’ve just established with everyone at work that I think lunch is important, getting away from my desk (even when at home) is important, and I’m going to be gone during that time. I also don’t attend “lunch and learn” presentations and let everyone know why.

Everyone just thinks I’m crazy about lunch but I don’t really care. I get a lunch break for real and people expect that and so they don’t bother me for that reason.

This is really smart.

-xtien

Fairly simple pizza with salami, onions, and mushrooms.

Some more complexity is in the sauce and dough.

The dough has herbs and red pepper in it. Gives it a cool orange tinge, and had a lot of flavor on its own.

The sauce I made today, using a can of San Marzano tomatoes. Added in garlic, oregano, some zatar, onions, chopped up castlevetrano olives, crushed red pepper, and the key, berebere spice.

I got a bunch of the sauce, that I store in little plastic cups, about enough for one pizza each. I just freeze them and that then when I’m gonna make a pizza.

Everything turned out great.

Ah hah!

I have finally stumbled upon the correct timing to cook raw, frozen chicken wings in the air fryer.

380F for 26 minutes
Then 390F for 5 minutes
Then 400F for 6 minutes

This took frozen wings, without thawing, and made them into awesome, juicy, crispy wings. I then tossed them in some sauce I made (rooster sauce, agave nectar, soy sauce, black vinegar), and they were awesome.