Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

No pictures, but I took some leftover chicken and made chicken and avocado enchiladas the other day. The enchiladas themselves were nothing out of the ordinary, but my sauce came out better than expected:

Saute 3 chopped garlic cloves in butter. Add a tsp flour, 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, and a teaspoon and a half of cumin. Add a cup of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup salsa verde, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup cilantro.

I just rolled up chicken, avocado, and a pinch of cheese in some flour tortillas, covered them with the sauce and more cheese, and baked for 20 minutes at 375.

I usually just buy enchilada sauce but this looks pretty tasty. You’ve got sour cream as a thickener but also the sour cream would do some thickening. I am not sure I’ve had a creamy sauce like that but I am willing to give it a try!

Yeah, the sour cream almost makes it a cream sauce, while the salsa (I used medium) and cilantro give it kick.

Hi all, what is your preference between gas ranges, smooth top infrared, or induction (the pricey version of smooth glass top that cooks faster than gas).

Also how valuable is a double-oven range in your household?

I’ve got a pretty major preference for gas, and desperately wish I had it. Induction is a good second, and very cool to play around with (thanks, @Skipper :) ), though I’m still getting a hang of it. I kinda suspect that one of the super fancy ones with the Rapid Boil burner would be awesome. Regular glass top and coil-based electric are both just awful, and are all I get to use with any regularity. Blegh.

I have moderate need for a two oven setup approximately twice a year, for Xmas and Thanksgiving. Doesn’t seem worth it for just that unless you’re just looking for ways to burn excess cash :)

I’ve been insanely busy and also sick this week, so haven’t gotten to do as much cooking as I’d prefer, but I finally managed to get my head straight long enough to make some tempura tonight. Had a few minor issues, but the taste and texture were there, so I’ll accept it :)

Green beans, sweet potatoes, zucchinis, and mushrooms (not pictured), plus shrimp :-D

If I redo my kitchen, gas all the way. I have it plumbed nearby but will need to vent a hood out of house and I’m just biding time before a remodel. I’m intrigued by induction, I really am. I’ve used it in 3 cooking classes we have nearby. It’s AMAZINGLY quick to temp and quick to change temp as well. The cooking classes use the larger single burner inductions, not a whole stove, so I can’t comment on how things work for lasting cooking. I’m not sure if they are the same wattage as the home based versions. They seem large, but my guess is that they are made to support heavy cooking on them, similar to a class. I suspect if you go induction, though, you would want a burner for the pots and pans that wouldn’t work on induction if you weren’t already willing to go through what you own for replacement of anything that isn’t made of a material that can be magnetized. So any aluminum, glass, pyrex, or copper cookware will not work.

Still though, at least the industrial kitchen versions are blazing fast to heat.

I prefer cooking methods that don’t involve open flames and invisible, explosive substances.

Our place came with a 6 gas burner stove top and double ovens. We love the damn thing! My folks have induction ranges at both their old and current homes, and I detest cooking on those things.

I have gas for my water heater and furnace and nothing else. One day I plan to bring it to the kitchen and the porch.

I have the same. Fortunately that puts the furnace not far from the kitchen, and I’ve looked at the cost to plumb it in, which isn’t too bad. I also have open attic space to have a forced air vent above the stove, but my current cabinetry will hold things up until I’m ready for a remodel, though I want one -really- badly. I’m very willing to give up the two over-the-stove cabinets for a better stove/range vent. One minor item to worry about is where I’ll put a microwave, post-remodel.

Lotus root was cheap at the Chinese grocery store and my wife decided she wanted to have some lotus root soup. I have consumed lotus root soup but never cooked it myself. I could call up my mom and ask her how to make it, but to be brutally honest, I never liked my mom’s lotus root soup. So instead, I turned to the internet.

This recipe actually worked out very well. I followed the recipe for the most part. The author of the article seems to like rib bones for the soup but I opted for pork neck bone. Instead of the dried goji berries, I went with fresh because we have them growing in the backyard. And I tossed in some carrots just becasue I like them in this type of soup. The soup tasted really good. I chose to pull the meat off the bone and put it back into the soup instead of serving it separately.

I get the concern about gas too. I was concerned initially too. I’ve had the utility over here several times. They’re pretty serious about checking things. I’ve also considered though just leaving the kitchen as is and looking into the cost of a stone or brick really neat grill set-up too. So many choices, but the modern gas stoves… my sister has one. It works great and is really easy to control temperature wise which is what i want.

Induction is digital so it’s incredibly easy to control. It just isn’t intuitive, because there’s no physical flame, so you need to get used to it.

Spicy buttermilk breaded chicken breast on a buttered bun with chive-garlic aoili, lettuce, and tomato; sweet potato fries; and a spinach-apple-cranberry-pecan-feta salad with a maple-cider vinaigrette.

The breading still pulls off these guys like crazy. Something about my buttermilk dips just causes an abject failure of adherence that a standard egg dip between flour and final coating doesn’t suffer from. *shrug*

That looks delicious.

I’m with ya, man. Though I have had more success without a double flour step. Essentially dip, add to a bag with flour and shake. I thought most of what you’re aiming for is the buttermilk for marinade beforehand, anyway. Who knows.

Maybe … an egg whisked into the buttermilk for the breading dipping?

That looks pretty crunchy, though. You pass muster by far. I should ask, pan fried or deep fried?

Deep fried! That machine is the most dangerous thing anyone ever bought me.

Current attempt was to brine 6 hours in salt sugar solution. Then, dry and toss in heavily seasoned flour. Let em sit for a bit, then dunk in spicy buttermilk mixture with, yeah, an egg (plus some bourbon, per Bon Appétit). Then back into flour before resting thirty minutes for maximum crust adherence, then deep fry at 360ish for about 3-4 minutes…

…and the damn breasts slide outta there if you so much as look at the damn things, haha.

Taste is solid, though. The thin sliced super organic free range breasts I bought cuz my gf wasn’t there to price check me into the cheapest option every time weren’t so hot though. Extremely chaotic muscle grain texture and tons of veins, had a somewhat unusual coloration when cooked up. Hopefully just a bad batch. Can’t let the missus think she’s been right all along about the cheap stuff being best! Haha

Where from? I’m assuming boneless. I prefer Harris Teeter for that. $1.99/lb at the meat counter, and they are decently sized.

Walmart, ugh. I also prefer HT, but couldn’t afford two stops that night.