Tell us what you have eaten lately, that you haven't cooked yourself (that's interesting).

Clake News!

It is here, I think it’s called 200 below or something like that. Higher prices for mediocre ice cream, markedly inferior to a pint of Haagen-Daaz you can buy at any corner bodega.

Well, well. The wife and I went out to a new Italian place tonight. It’s called Papa Lozzi Italia. About two weeks old. And amazing!

The beginning of the evening was less than stellar. While waiting I was at the bar, in a corner behind a large jar. It took a while before someone came over for a drink order. As usual I asked if they had Bulliet rye. The bartender looked as if I had asked him for a bullet in the head. Eventually we figured out that I wanted a Manhattan made with rye.

Eventually he made a drink that was kind of like a Manhattan. It wasn’t bad though. So during the evening I had four. Hey, I wanted to like it.

But the food made everything good. Like having your mother kiss your boo boo with heroin.

The wife ordered osso bucco on saffron risotto. I had the veal picatta with grilled asparagus wrapped with prosciutto and a potato timbale.

If I say that I have not had food like this since I ate at Batali’s Lupa in NYC I am not joking. This stuff was amazing. The chef is from Rome and his father was also a chef in Rome.

I am sure that both @stusser and @ArmandoPenblade would kill for this food.

The place is a from scratch kitchen. So the food took a while to arrive. Not a problem. We ordered tiramisu to go and it took 30 minutes. But hey, the tiramisu was a kind of tiramisu that you would expect to have in Valhalla. Shit is fucking excellent.

Florida folks. Go there.

Looks tasty. I haven’t been to Lupa for like 5 years, I gotta go back.

Oh dear sweet christ that osso bucco looks incredible. Damn, man, you know how to do it up!!

After 4 Manhattans I’ve had Doritos that were to kill for :)

You chose wisely!

Both dishes look great but I have a soft spot for a picatta done right, and everything about that looks good. I see garlic, pieces of shallot, a nice amount of capers to give it that brine-y bite and fresh herbs added late enough they still have their taste, my guess there being parsley.

Spot on. You have a good eye.

So there’s a craft fair here twice a month from Oct-April. Usually it’s pretty low-rent, but they go all out for opening and closing. Today was closing, so they had a lot of food booths they normally don’t have.

There was a tent set up with food from Oaxacha region, mostly the usual stuff with variations of mole, but there was something on the menu called tostada de chapulin. Google Translate couldn’t identify it, and the waiter spoke no English, so I decided to pass. A little while later the waiter brought over a paper plate with what looked and tasted like spicy little pieces of beef jerky. If was flavorful, but we had already ordered.

Later I Googled it a little more thoroughly. Yum.

I have found the world’s best fried green tomatoes. The bad news (or the good news, depending on your point of view) is that you will have to fly to the big island of Hawai’i to get them, from The Fish and the Hog in Waimea.

I’d post a picture, but they got eaten too quickly…both times. Oh, and while you are there, ask them to add some jalapeño to a pineapple mint margarita for you.

Best fried green tomatoes I’ve ever had were in Savannah Georgia.

I heard the best were served at the The Whistle Stop Cafe in Juliette GA.

:)

Apparently the barbeque there is to die for!

Secret is in the sauce! ;)

I reeeeally didn’t remember the cannibalism in that movie. Boy.

Pork belly, blood pudding, and apple salad, from an unassuming little restaurant in Suffolk. This was one of the smaller of three pork courses, and I will not need to eat again for a week.

Crab salad and crayfish with homemade garlic mayonnaise, courtesy of a very talented aunt. A beautiful counterpoint to the earlier pigfest, but no great help where my waistline is concerned.

Damn man, you’re killing me here. That pork belly looks good enough to make me try blood pudding. That entire second plate looks amazing!

Yeah, I was apprehensive about the blood pudding, but it was delicious. Very mellow, not too rich, and (I’m guessing) chock full of iron.

The crab was pure heaven. The coleslaw-looking stuff was celeriac, of all things. Also delicious, and practically guilt-free.