Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

Stereos are a little different. You can get receiver to get the new tech like wifi, bluetooth, networking in general. There’s not really a way to add new tech to a microwave.

Yeah I specifically meant stereos, the advice doesn’t apply to most electronics.

I refer you to this insightful take on being 40, written by an 8 year old girl:
https://twitter.com/tnichss/status/1001605596070559744

I’m planning on replacing my decade-plus old microwave (I swear I still remember it from when I lived with my parents, and I’m 38 now). But it’s surprisingly hard to find non-Which? (think Consumer Reports) reviews of microwaves you can buy over here, apart from those on the retailers themselves, and every single model, including the ones recommended by Which?, has a bunch of horror stories. So I’m completely at a loss as to which I should get, other than definitely avoiding certain brands.

Sounds about right.

In terms of microwaves, I highly recommend you get at least an 1100 watt one. It’s worth it for making things like popcorn.

I use a dedicated machine for that.

Ah, I gave up my air popper when I found that cool little nordicware bowl I posted about in the past. Way faster than other popcorn machines, and doesn’t require additional space. But if you like your popper, then ya, I guess it’s less necessary.

I was referring to my 40th high school graduation reunion, not my birthday!
I only wish I was 40 again!
Coming up on 60 soon.

Well then according to that kid, you are already dead, so just go with it.

You and me both, man. You and me both. ::sigh::

I worked with kids who wanted to do a senior prom, think retirement home, with oldies music, which they equated to 80s and 90s music, and were certain we would need a physician on staff and a nurse in case one of them just fell over or something. This was a late teens and early 20s group… so, pretty much all kids think 40s is old not just 8 year olds.

We bought our first microwave in about 1984 maybe, it lasted for almost 20 years. Did a great job. It cost $400 back then which seemed like a huge amount of money. Since it died we have gone thru two more. The modern microwave is made to throw out after a few years.

When I search for a product I always read the one star reviews first. It gives me an idea of the worst that I might have happen. Every microwave I looked at had a certain amount of one stars, usually more than the two and three stars combined. Then lots of four and the most at five. The one stars were telling. Maybe half legit complaints and half people who obviously had no idea what they were doing.

I won’t look at a unit with less than a four star or above average.

Since reviews were mentioned, I just recently learned about https://reviewmeta.com/ which filters out the reviews most likely to be paid spam. No idea how big a problem that is with microwaves, though.

Amazon has a label on reviews, Confirmed Purchase or the like. It helps.

Verified Purchase. FakeSpot is another one that helps identify fake reviews.

I just taught my son how to shave.

-xtien

My mom taught me how to shave, also how to tie a tie. Which is another way of saying I pretty much taught myself.

It was a really interesting process, doing this. I remember various parts of learning it myself from when I was growing up, but it’s pretty hazy. I remember my dad teaching me how to drive much more clearly.

I’m writing a longer piece about it, because it was kind of a big deal for me. But I won’t make you folks read it. I’ll just post it on a blog I write for far-flung relatives. Suffice to say it was a cool experience and now he knows a new thing.

I have no recollection of how I learned to tie a tie. Please don’t tell my parents that.

-xtien