Ten minute game jam!

Yes! I’m almost done with a game but need a small amount of British or Scottish voice acting. Thought about engaging @Chappers to do it.

What’s your game @Gordon_Cameron ?

It’s going to be The Greatest Retro Ultima Clone … in the World.

(And yes, every minute I spend on it is another minute I’m not working on DerpSpace™! Sorry)

Nice. Mine is a game where you have to joust and pole vault with your lance… and land back on the horse.

That sounds kinda like QWOP. Is it excruciatingly difficult??

Are you making it for GitHub’s game jam [0], or is the match with their theme just a coincidence?

[0] Game Off 2019 - itch.io

I’m excited about mine because I’ve made some progress on my Ultima V-style NPC schedules. The NPCs wake up, go to bed, go to various locations through the day, and I’ve implemented logic so that if you enter the town at a particular hour, the game puts them in approximately the right place for that time. Now I have to work on the logic for multi-floor NPCs.

Once my NPCs are moving around, I just need to implement inventory, combat, stats, leveling, and then actually create a gameworld and story and quests!

drool.gif

Happy to help @Clay . You should also see if @Alistair would be willing to help as well for a genuine Scottish accent.

Ha! I didn’t even know about that! Not sure if I’m eligible to enter. I’ve been working on it on and off for 6 months but stalled when it was almost done. Here’s a very short gameplay clip from June.

https://twitter.com/clayheaton/status/1134810978313494530?s=20

Nice! I just need a few taunts and angry exclamations. :) Maybe I should get both of you to help and then the protagonist can be Scottish and the enemies English or something. :)

Alright, I finally finished and posted The Jumping Jouster, complete with @Chappers voice acting and some fine QA work by Team Qt3 Leagues Slack channel. You can play with (desktop) Chrome in the browser (turn off adblockers) or download for Windows or Mac for free. Here’s the link.

It requires GLES3 so doesn’t work with Firefox, Safari, etc. or in mobile browsers at the moment.

Let me know what you think!

Clay, this is great! Using three buttons in sequence is a little touch of brilliance, because of the gallop-like rhythm it creates.

I almost wonder if there might be too much going on here, but I’ll need to play it some more to be sure that’s not just my n00bness talking.

Also, VGA for Best Audio. Call Geoff Keighley.

I’m famous! Congrats @Clay on finishing it.

Thanks! And thanks for the help! One of these days I’ll get around to porting it to mobile.

Very nice! Though in ten minutes of playing, I only managed to successfully joust once. Can’t get a hang of the timing + hitboxes, and it’s hard to get in enough practice on any of the available modes.

So now my apparent optimal strategy is to play on hard and just jump whenever I see another knight :-P

I was going to mention QWOP vibes, but I see from the comments on the game page that you’re well aware of that.

Glad you’re having fun! Middle of the chest for jousting and plant the tip of the lance at the base of the Vault flag for vaulting!

The Jumping Jouster is on the Mac App Store now. Speaking of which, getting it submitted there was harder than making the game. Haha.

Very fun thread! I’ve got more experience as an artist than as a coder, but I might put together a little 10-minute murder mystery (really an adventure game) using Renpy and my own artwork. Probably not til after the New Year, though.

Grats!

Do it! Check out Ink, too: