Terraria (it's Minecraft, sideways)

Ahh, you are playing it. You can answer this question: Did they ever fix the problem with the crazy slimes spawning?

Nope. The first 2 times I played, there was a minute of quiet and then green slimes started appearing left and right. No time to cut down trees and put up a few walls. you are hitting slimes or getting slain.

It’s not a constant stream. But it feels to me like there are too many of them.

Wendelius

Hmm not promising…

hopefully easily fixed?

I have read the FAQ here now: http://terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-newbie-faq.510/

Let’s see if I can figure out the house thing and start building something rather than spend my time running away from monsters (the spawns at night are also quite intense). :)

EDIT: Here is the typical story of my line so far:

Here is me trying to build something while fending off 3 slimes:

And here is the ineluctable result:

Oh, and if anyone can point out what I need to do to turn my stacks of walls into a house, it would be much appreciated. :)

Wendelius

Keep us informed…

How to build a house from wood:
“Walls” solely prevent monster spawning.
The actual physical walls are build from wood directly.
So, you can’t turn your stack of walls into a house.

Ah ha! Thank you. I’ll go try that.

EDIT: Forget it. It’s night. 5 zombies running after me and eyes coming closer. I’ll wait for day time. Spawn rates need some tweaking.

Wendelius

Build harder! Got my hut up just as night fell on the first day! And this had nothing at all to do with the fact that I asked a buddy how the hell to place doors. Then once night came a zombie showed up and started bashing my door down. Already better than Minecraft.

(note, doors need blocks above and below. has to be just big enough for a character to walk through)

Currently top selling game on Steam and has 11,000 people playing. Excellent.

The trailer, imo, does not convey the FUN that everyone seems to be describing. Looks like a lot of jumping and spinning your sword arm in an uncomfortable looking circles while jumping around in caves.

Build harder indeed. Placing doors was trial and error. But I figured it out.

So thanks to the tip on building walls, I now have a shelter for the night (and a zombie banging on my door):

It’s not pretty, but it will work.

Now how do I build stairs and floors? Must find a wiki or something…

So far, it doesn’t get the better than Minecraft for me. Minecraft was immersive and tense. This is just monster overkill.

I think I’ll enjoy the bulding bits though.

Wendelius

Wow that’s really surprising. I’m guessing that’s more the result of word-of-mouth over the actual trailer? Cause the trailer makes the game look a bit cheesy (especially the swinging animations).

What are you talking about Blips? The swinging animations , are a 100% representation of how I do it in real life. :)

Question, whats the STAR in the items tab for?

Stars fall to the floor at night. According to the Guide, they get you goodies. No clue what. I was too busy swinging my sword in wide arcs to pay attention to his chatter. :)

Wendelius

I want in on a 4 pack, if possible. If not, I’ll start a new one.

I’m in for a four pack.

The slime spawning is definitely lower than the leaked version was.

You can make platforms from wood that you can jump or drop through at will. Pretty handy stuff, also not bad to have a stack of those handy when you go spelunking.

Another building tip: Get a hammer early on. If you’re not sure how to get rid of something you misplaced, or how to interact with something weird, try hammering it. Doing that to placeable objects will actually reduce them back to item form so you can put them somewhere else.

Thanks for the tip on platforms. I’ll build a few.

I figured out the many uses of the hammer when I started moving torches and my workbench around (and hammering through a few walls at the same time).

Axe to break down the outer wooden walls of my house (and pickaxe if I place stone walls, I guess). And hammer for pretty much every other object.

Wendelius

Wow. That must have been highly annoying.

Wendelius

I have an idea for slime spawns vs needing stuff for torches.

1. Cut the slime spawn down considerably to like 1/4 of what they do now for example.
  2. Slimes always drop 1 to 4 torch materials multiplied by their slime level. So 1 up from the basic slime drops 2 to 8, 3 up drops 3 to 12, etc…

That way you can have less slimes but still maintain a good supply of torch material.