Terraria (it's Minecraft, sideways)

Maybe this’ll help with their stance on modding at least…

How do you like that? The kid was nearly right!

“Hey Guys!” Blue here. Just wanted to let you all know what to expect from the release tomorrow.
As it is an earlier release than we had originally planned, for a few reasons; one being everyone’s desire to play the game even at its current state. The following should be taken under consideration by anyone who plays the game tomorrow.

The game itself is fully playable at this time. However certain features and services are currently incomplete and on their way in the near future.

1. Current Steam Integration.
    At its current state, the game allows for access to steams friends-list and chat services while playing the game. And you must have an account on steam with steam open to access the game using steams built in account system. However, no achievements or statistics are tracked yet. And servers are not handled via steam in the release build.
    What you can expect later: During the first few weeks of updates you will see full integration to utilize most of, if not all of steams resources.

2. Biomes lacking content.
    The Desert and Floating Island biomes are present but have little to no features in this build.
    What you can Expect : We will be adding content to these two biomes over the next few weeks.

3. Multiplayer Hosting
    Hosting a server in the release build will not use steams built in server system, and requires you to port forward and use IP addresses to connect. You CAN start two clients of Terraria at once on a single PC from steam and use one of those to launch your server and the other to launch a client. However, it is not possible to use ONE steam account to launch a server on one PC and a client on another PC at this time, as steam will think two users are using the same account at two separate locations, which is not allowed. Also, until the stand alone servers are usable, the limit of 8 players per server will remain intact.
    What you can Expect : We will be creating a stand alone server launcher within the next few weeks. And we will be integrating steams Server lists and removing the cap of 8 players per server.

4. Wiki-less
    At this time the wiki is incomplete and may not be ready for a short while.

5. Forums and Website, we will be doing an overhaul of our website and adding a official forum in the coming weeks as well as a development blog to keep you up to date on update and upcoming features. Until then, please continue to use the unofficial forums.

6. Language Support
    Currently English is the only supported language. We will endeavor to support more at a later date.

7. Kickless.
    Currently there is no KICK button on the server screen. But you may launch a server with a password to prevent people you do not know or want on your server from logging in.
    What you can Expect : This will be added in one of the first updates. Perhaps even later this week.

8. Five is the Limit.
    Currently, five characters per PC are able to be saved and played at a time. (However you can manually move them out of your documents folder to save elsewhere and return them later to use more than 5.) The same limit is set for worlds as well.
    What you can expect : We will be raising the limit as we re-arrange/improve the character setup and world gen screens.

9. Options
    Currently you can only alter the games options from the main menu, and not mid game while playing.
    What you can Expect : We will be adding either hot-keys to toggle certain options or simply make the options menu accessible mid game.

But I am also happy to report that we have in the last day and a half since my arrival in Indiana to help prep for launch, been able to polish the game, add new sounds and even finalize the new sprites and their animations to make the game cleaner and ready for this release.
And yes, the female characters now have their own hurt sounds.

Also, to clarify as some seem to be under the impression the game will be released on the dot, tomorrow, there is no set time in the day we plan to have the game available, except that it will be BEFORE Tuesday (Eastern Standard Time). So the countdowns you see made by fans are not accurate.

Thank you for your understanding on all of the above points, and keep an eye out in the next couple days to couple weeks for the solutions to all of these incomplete functions as well as many more additions to the game.

We here at Re-Logic™ hope you enjoy the game.
All but confirms what was already obvious: The early release is due to the leak.

Yeah, it was obvious last week when Blue announced the release date mere hours after the leak was discovered. Makes sense to me, since it appears the game is quite stable and near feature-complete. plus, with Steam, it’ll be a snap for them to patch in the remaining items over the first few weeks to fill in the gaps.

Explain how you’re finding videos from pre-pubescent kids when said videos have maybe 200 views. You stalking the poor kids or what?

Wierd - its monday here now, and the game isn’t listed at all on Steam?

Games often don’t go up on Steam until around noon-ish US time.

some people talk about a wait of 6-12 hours.

It’s out!

And here I sit… stuck at work. I knew I should have worked from home today!

C’mon, lets have some QT3 user reviews already!

They sell a 4 pack version, which is perfect for me and the kids.

That’s what I went for. Now off to try it.

Wendelius

Anyone got a 4 pack going I can get in on ? $7.50 is a mighty fine price! :D

I’ll go in for 2 copies on that 4 pack, Though I’m unsure as to yet who’s getting the second copy. We’ll see, at that price I may just get a full 4 pack.

You have a separate steam account for the kiddies?

Hmm.

If you can wait till tonight, I’ll take the 2 other copies.

I won’t be home till 9pm though… PM me if your interested.

They do. 13 year old twins who have been pestering me to play the game. :)

So far, I don’t even know how to build a monster-tight home. I try to build walls and a roof but monsters still get in. So I spend the night fighting zombies and floating eyes. And is the guide any help? Nope. Though he is happy to tell me all about falling stars and mining.

Wendelius

Heh. My twins are rather younger, being only 8. I could see them expressing interest in the game though.

Arrrrrgggghhhh!

Now I’m annoyed. Died 20 times during the night because I somehow can’t make a secure house. Died 4-5 more times during the day to numerous green blobs. Still trying to build a shelter.

This is not Minecraft-scary. Right now, it’s frustrating.

Wendelius

Yeah, I have a 9 year old interested as well. Not sure whether to let him open a Steam account just for this game. I’ll probably try and see whether a non steam client will be available soon instead.

Wendelius