Terror plot foiled

Let you also be the last peron to say this. Also: stop voting.

Let’s all be forced to fly naked.

This isn’t Sweeden, dude. PASS.

I think that’s fair to say. One group planning to use a given methodology doesn’t make that methodology more dangerous than it was before.

If we decide to use that method of security, a single terrorist could shut down our entire air travel system forever with one vial of Sarin up his ass.

All i can say is I’m sure as fuck not paying $600 for a trans-continental airline ticket if I have to go through a cavity search first. $300 max for that!

We trade risk for convenience all the time. In airplane security we trade a lot of convenience for a very small reduction in risk, compared to speed limits on highways.

No shit? All Gatorade is made of is basically flavored water with extra electrolytes (sodium, potassium and chloride). I’m no chemist, but I’m pretty sure it would be tough to find a chemical that would interact in a violently explosive way with any of those ingredients in the quantities found in a 12oz bottle.

So was it wrong to change our airline security systems and regulations after 9/11? That was just one group…

That’s right, wallow in your fear. And vote. I’m sure that’s not an equation that has occurred to anyone.

You idiot, what are you afraid of? Do you really think there are all these bullshit terrorist cells in your backyard? Do you think that all of this shit is going to make you safer? It isn’t, dumbass. Your personal risk of dying from terrorist attack is probably .000001% of all your other risks of death, but you’ll give up anything to feel better about it.

H.

It’s not Gatorade…it’s stuff that’s in the gatoraide bottle. Or maybe it’s 75% gatoraide adn 25% liquid bad stuff.

If you’re interested in this, you should read about the attempt 10 years ago. They actually had a semi-successful test using liquid explosives. Ignited them but didn’t take down the plane. The only way they got caught is they kept everything on a laptop that got confiscated when they burned down an apartment making the bombs.

It’s pretty damn scary and not a surprise they’ve clamped down so hard.

Our homeland security is a bit of a mess.

EDIT:

Posters who themselves or family monthly or bi-monthly flights from the east coast to London probably face significantly higher odds than .000001. Given that I work a few blocks from the capitol and take public transportation, I think I’m at some higher odds than .000001% as well. While I’m mostly a classic liberal in terms of freedom, I’m also not stupid and probably more comfortable with given up bringing liquids onto a plane in return for safety.

My cube neighbor is a chemist, and says he can’t think of anything that could make sugar water explode.

I’m looking forward to finding out what this readily available liquid is that, when mixed with gatorade, creates the gatorbomb.

I’d rather blow up than have to fly for 4-5 hours without music.

I’m going to bring some baking soda and vinegar on my plane ride tomorrow. WATCH OUT!

Yes. The only change needed after Hijack Day was authorization for a pilot to use rapid maneuvering to maintain control of his plane in the event of a takeover attempt. It was not the boxcutters that got them the plane, it was our policy of letting hijackers have what they want. I have seen nothing to convince me that any of the post-Hijack Day changes, other than the change in attitude and awareness of passengers and crew, has made us in any way safer.

Is that really what they’re saying? I thought they were going to completely replace the gatorade with an explosive gel that looks like gatorade.

Mentos. No no! Poprocks!

I bet nitroglycerin would do it. ;-)

I am a chemist and I’m having trouble figuring out how this would work. All the electrolytes are in pretty stable configurations. It’s not like we have weak electron donor/acceptor pairs going on in there that can be stripped out to form some more esoteric compounds. I can see maybe reducing the sodium or potassium or even chlorine, but it’d be fuckloads easier to just bring on less stable, more concentrated solutions (ammonia, chlorine bleach, etc…). And I don’t know about british screening, but those are things that are “screened” in the US by having a large sign that says “Don’t bring these in your luggage” basically.

There’s either some super-duper chemistry going on somewhere (which I’m really curious about because, y’know, I’m a chemist!) or there’s some super-duper hyperbole going on. (Or,most likely, a whole lot of covering their asses going on - “Well, we knew those substances were easy to come up with but we didn’t think about people bringing them on in carry-on luggage! Just in the checked baggage which we swab.” )

Geez, wouldn’t it be easier to figure out why people are willing to kill themselves to kill us, and stop doing that?

Ha ha, every time my boss leaves he gets stuck somewhere because of TEH TERRISTS. I mentioned it in the EE thread, but the “liquid explosive” speculations all point to mixing hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach), acetone (fingernail polish remover), and acid in situ to make TATP. Terrorists, come to Qt3 for all your bomb-making needs!

Sure, it would be easier. But if, hypothetically, the thing we’d have to stop doing is opposing the establishment of the global Caliphate, would you be ok with that?