Terror plot foiled

Yes, actually!

Going on the defense against terrorists is a painful and invasive game as we are currently seeing. Going on the offense against a governmental entity we are much better at. See Iraq and Afghanistan. So I’d love to swap out American hating terrorists for an official American hating organization that could be openly engaged.

Look, if you actually did stop terrorism by addressing the root causes, you wouldn’t have any excuse to invade the MIddle East to control the oil supply. You don’t want the fucking Chinese to get your oil, do you?

Me :Tongue in cheek, except for the letting them blow us up part. I’m still squarely against that.

You: a collossal cunt. Hell, didn’t I even start this thread on the premise that all these plots do is inconvenience us? Since it’s a long scroll back to the top of page 1 I suggest that you pass the time by fucking yourself.

I know nothing about chemistry but I’m having a hard time believing that there’s any sports drink on the market - in the UK or elsewhere - that could form a viable component of a home-made explosive. Certainly not one powerful enough to bring down a jet liner. This sounds like bollocks to me.

FYI the most popular sports drink in the UK is Lucozade, which as I recall is basically just glucose and carbonated water.

http://www.lucozade.com/

Well basically we know what they want:

• Americans out of Iraq
  • Americans out of Saudi Arabia (we left in 2003)
  • Americans to stop backing secular democracies in the Muslim world
  • To stop taking Israel’s side

Bush short hands this into: “They hate Freedom.”

Maybe it’s explosive glucose.

Am I the only one that thinks these terrorists are clearly a bunch of flipping amateurs? Why on EARTH would you target blowing up planes AGAIN. This is old news, we are ready for it. If you want to cause real chaos, put something in the flipping water supply, or blow up a high speed train, that’ll kill as many, if not more than a plane, and you can get it on video more easily for PR purposes.
Or better still, blow up some government building to show who it is you have a beef with. Or blow up some momument, or a nuclear power station. Have some flipping imagination.
It is worthy of note that in the UK alone, approx 3000 people a year get wiped out in vehicle accidents. That dwarfs the deaths through terrorism many times over, but we still let 16 year old kids drive a 200mph porsche the minute they pass their driving test.

bah.

I am also a chemist. I am also having trouble figuring out how this would work.

I am not a chemist, but have a clear understanding of how this would work.

But I just have difficulty explaining it.

Vodka.

Don’t start going all DeepT on us, Jake.

It’s getting late and I’m getting punchy. I should stop posting for the day before I head over to the “Everything Else” category and put up something on NAMBLA.

Oh, sure there are limits to what’d I do, but something tells me if we’d get out of Iraq and stop meddling in the Middle East so much there’d be a hell of a lot fewer volunteers to make the trip of no return. Even with the 70 virgins and all.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Acetone_peroxide_synthesis

Though the procedure is complicated. It can more easily explode in the middle and all the ingredients are liquids. And can be hidden as liquids. I assume there are other less known ways to create explosives like that.

Now it becomes clear. The terrorists meet up on the plane, mix the gatorade with vodka in roughly 10:1 ratios, then offer the captains a refreshing drink for all their hard flying work. Utilizing good quality vodka and extra sugar, the pilots never notice the alcohol content in the refreshing sports drinks, and proceed to plow the planes into anything taller than 300 feet in a drunken stupor.

Brilliant plan!

And they’ve already proven that they can pull this off: Witness the Exxon Valdez…

One would think the first line of defense would be the flight attendants noticing their passengers asking for 7 cups of ice for the ice bath necessary to keep the reaction vessel under 50F.

I bet dry ice in a bag looks like candy in an x-ray.

Right, there are explosive reactions that are started by mixing two liquids together. The incredulity comes from the suggestion that one of the two liquids was a sports drink.

Hydrogen peroxide is a great performance-enhancer for belching contests. (disclaimer: don’t try this)