Tetris Effect - From the designer of Rez and Lumines

I’ve been wondering if this will come to Oculus/Vive like Rez Infinite did, so was hesitant in purchasing on PS4 where I don’t have the VR.

Then Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch was 50% off so I bought that instead to tide me over!

The last level is one of the highlights for me. That extended instrumental part where you’re just dropping tiles and it’s jamming out a piano melody to your rhythm is fantastic. I do like the song, though.

the instrumental part is not that bad … I finished it finally, was really hard, went up to speed 13. Brutal …

Not quite related, but I just watched this as it was showing repeatedly in my playlist, and after a small period of adjustment to the rhythm and linguo… that was gripping :O

Never thought watching Tetris could be that intense an experience.

Yeah, I remember watching that a while back and thought it was amazing.

The campaign is freakin difficult for me. I stalled out on normal mode in area 4. Couldn’t beat it, so I swallowed my pride and started a campaign on easy. Cruise through that one…until the last area. One long one to clear 90 lines. The speed picks up a ton after 60 lines cleared and I’m usually dead in short order.

Yep, same here. I’ve pretty much given up on it and just play the relax mode and gave up on the campaign.

I bought the game and I’m honestly not sure if I should be amazed and in the zone or if I’m being subjected to visual and auditive torture while having to concentrate.

I played the first three levels yesterday after buying the game (Area 1). Man, I’m really loving this so far. The combination of two things I love (music and tetris), is such a great combination.

I’m not sure about the new Tetris Effect move (activating the new max zone thingie). I keep forgetting to activate it, so I haven’t tried that move yet, I only read about it in the tutorial gifs.

it is also really great in PSVR … I love how horses pass by in the native american level …

Area 6 starts off really fast. It’s pretty brutal. I almost had it on one attempt. It’s going back to my original days of playing Tetris back in 1991 on an IBM PC. It was some home-spun version of tetris that had been installed on the computer lab computers in our dorm, and we discovered that there was no extra points for completion of multiple lines, LOTS of extra points for starting on a faster speed. So the people with the highest scores on the leaderboard were not people who started at the lowest speed and worked their way up, but the people who started on the fastest speed possible who lasted the longest. And since there was no bonus for multiple lines, we discovered the quick truth that survival was best if you never, ever relied on a straight piece. So we got kind of programmed into always trying to get each line, and never plan for multiple line completions.

Of course, now, years later, I’ve been de-programmed from that methodology and reprogrammed to always rely on the straight piece because that allows for the best score. Now in Area 6, I have to go back to my original brain tetris programming from 1991 if I can.

Looks like Tetris Effect got a patch on my PS4 since the last time I played. Great, right? Nope. Now I can’t play it at all. When you launch the game, apparently there’s a screen that they’re not allowed to remote play, so the only option I appear to have is to go back to the dashboard and close Tetris Effect. Great. Thanks for this.

I tested the game on the actual PS4. It doesn’t look it’s changed in any way. I just can’t stream it anymore. This is driving me crazy. I wonder if they’ll fix it again in the next patch, or if this is a permanent change. I searched on DuckDuckGo and didn’t find anyone else on the internet complaining about it, so maybe I’m the lone person out there who actually cares.

I’m pretty sure it was intentional. Mark McDonald (who works for Enhance) said on ResetERA it was a change they had to make for contractual reasons. Probably some dumb song licensing thing requiring them to block any streaming function.

Well, on the bright side it’s coming to Game Pass when it hits Series X in the fall. On the other hand, that’s months away.

God, I’m loving this so much on Series X.

One criticism: The level select screen is terrible in this game. For so much of the game, the presentation is so good with beautiful music and gorgeous layouts, but the level select screen in the main campaign just doesn’t look good. It was the case with the PS4 version, and it’s still the case with the new Series X version.

Other than that small nitpick though, I have to say this is the game I can’t stop thinking about after last night’s Series X play sessions.

It’s really hard to decide to continue playing this game on my Quest 2 or on my Xbox Series X! The Quest is so immersive but the XSX is so freaking sharp, and the sound is so much better.

This is also available on PC Game Pass. I’m bummed this new version doesn’t have VR support though.

After finishing Journey mode on normal, I went through all the other modes this weekend. There’s some good fun in there. But also, after playing modes like Marathon, which used to be the standard way to play Tetris, where you start at a slow speed and slowly get faster, I must say I really don’t miss that. Journey, where you follow along with different songs, and the speed varies from faster to slower to really fast, to really slow, to medium fast, is much more entertaining way to play the game.

They have said that it’s coming, “hopefully by the end of the calendar year”.