Thank you, Ubisoft marketing department

Whatever.
I never saw the vid btw. They blew their few seconds of attention on spinny logos. Methinks other people do the same thing, so its a bad business move.
Clearly making the potential buyer sit and star at something he has no control over or ability to skip is EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME as just a discreet publisher name at the bottom of a page.
I totally see that now…

What the peugeot would say when you start it up would be… “Sorry you bought me, I will break down in *** miles”

Yeah, it’s galling. It’s almost like people want to have some credit for the work they’ve done. It’s like those game developers who INSIST I see their logo on videos and title screens. I get it, YOU MADE THE GAME. If I really want to know who you are, I can check the credits! Jesus, you’d think they’d want you to remember their name so you might check out something else they’ve produced or something!

Here are some particularly horrific examples: Like this guy,he’s totally forcing me to sit through his URL for over five seconds! An URL!

Or this one.It stays on a quote and game logo for 8 seconds before showing me the game! HORRIBLE!

errr. sorry dude but I think you are confusing a trailer that tells you about a downloadable only game with the url to buy it, and a video that describes the premise of the game in the first thousandth of a second, with a logo for some publishing company that tells you absolutely fuck-all about how to to get the game or what the fuck the game is about.
But hey, sorry, I didnt realise this was the fan club of flash logos.
I just like it when game trailers have at least 50% game footage, not 50% ubisoft logos, nvidia logos and logos telling you the age rating.

I can’t see all the rage against cliffski when studies support that his reaction is pretty common. You grab someone early or they bugger off, and publisher logos are not exciting… perhaps this is why they try to make them exciting? Frankly I’d rather they just buggered off, I can’t think of a time when my reaction to one has been more positive than “meh”. If you’re someone who’d care I imagine you already know who was involved with the thing you are about to see.

The whole trailer was only ten seconds long?

I’m with Cliffski on this one, but to a lesser degree now days when it comes to video game demo movies and such. I guess I’m being worn down and have come to expect it the same way I do when watching movie trailers.

On the flip side though I get majorly irked when watching youtube videos and the people posting the video feel inclined to paste their own 5-10 second logo/jingle/whatever before the video even though they played absolutely no part in creating it.

This is especially irksome when it’s a video that’s been around longer than the internet and some youtube whore is scrolling his own name/company logo across it like he owns it or something. The most recent annoyance I suffered from this occurred when watching unintentionally funny classic game-show answers/bloopers. One guy has apparently spammed youtube with 1000 1 minute clips each bookended by 10 second logo/jingle branding. Arg. Thankfully I figured out how to ignore his videos and fun was had by all.

All in all I’d prefer video game trailers to feature the logos and stuff after the gameplay. There have been times when content trailers play off more like teaser trailers because 50% of the damn video consists of freaking production credits. This video isn’t one of those (it’s bad enough for other reasons), but it sucks when it happens.

Also, why weren’t these people dancing with wii-motes in their hands?

P.S. I had to imageblock the orgasming old lady in the first post. Shit was freaking me out.

It has to be something I REALLY want to see for me to sit through more than like 5 seconds of logos. I have a pretty crappy internet connect for streaming video(netflix on demand has to stop to buffer on lowest quality), so I usually can’t just skip ahead to the actual content of the video. I realize the u-verse/fios crowd is unlikely to have this issue. I wouldn’t say I feel anywhere near as strongly about it as Cliffski, but I’ve clearly lost interest in games before getting to see any video content. I really don’t see why more companies can’t either put the credits at the end, or integrate it into the movie where you see your ‘presented by’ stuff as the action is starting.

Their marketing department must have done well. 2 million sales worldwide and counting. Yay! I always love it when Ubisoft does well, even with games I don’t want to play. That way they can afford to keep making the games I love.

Has anyone actually played Just Dance? I could see it being fun while drunk. There must be something to it if it sold 2 million units.

Giant Bomb has an excellent Quick Look of it.

(Drew is dreamy!)

Oh man, I am definitely watching that while I work out today.

I’m also with Cliffski…For everything I produce at work, it’d be pretty obnoxious for me to put my name in front of everyone’s face for 5s before they could access it.

I draw the line though at payment: if it’s free(ie ads), then I have considerable tolerance for it. Once I’ve paid for it, ya, I don’t need to be reminded every single load up that EA has distributed this game to me…

Publisher/developer/middleware logos are fine. It is understandable that they want recognition and brand awareness.

However, I only want to see them:

1. On the game packaging (duh)
  2. On the main menu (have them at the bottom or floating around or whatever)
  3. During the beginning of a new game

A good example of a game that does this (that I’ve recently played) would be Lost Odyssey. When I run the game it immediately takes me to the menu, no nonsense.

Making them splash into your face each time you boot the game is obnoxious and annoying, especially when you cannot skip them. Fuck.

I got distracted by all the defenders of unskippable logo videos - what’s wrong with you?