That Internet dating thing

Explain. Like, did you look like a homeless guy in the first pic then changed it to one of you in a tuxedo or something?

Ha! No, the earlier pic was a fairly normal pic and the one I replaced it with was closer is all (pretty much cropped to just show my face). It was a better pic, I thought, but it wasn’t like it was some glamour shot where I looked like some super-hunk-model-dude. I’d changed my profile pic before and got a little bump in hits, but this last one was crazy. My gmail account blew up my phone. I don’t really get it. I got more hits in the day or two after I put the new pic up than when I first created my account. I may superimpose that pic over any pictures I take in the future because it’s apparently the BPIET (Best Pic I’ll Ever Take).

So my advice…swap profile pics on occasion and make it a close-up shot.

So we don’t get to see this pic? Wanna see what I’m competing with here haha :P

Is it possible that changing the picture makes it appear to be a new listing? I have always felt that if you’ve been on a site for a while you start to get the “if he’s still looking after that long, there must be something wrong with him” effect, just like houses for sale get.

If it appeared to be a new listing, that would explain the sudden interest.

I’m sure that the new pic helped look like a new listing. That was the reason I swapped pics, just to try and not get overlooked after being on Match for four or so months. But it wasn’t some drastic difference between the two pics. And the response was much larger than when I actually did have a new profile.

Anyway, I was just trying to say that even something you might consider a small change can totally overall the response you get. Quite literally overnight. So keep tinkering until you find something that works. This was supposed to be a “don’t give up, keep trying” anecdote not a “I have the awesomest pic EVA!” Kind of anecdote.

What’s a super-doc? Also, yay!

Did you have 'stache in the new pic and clean shaven in the first?

Because I read somewhere mustaches seem to be making a comeback (they were huge (literally and figuratively) in the 70s!).

Hipsters in SF = all moustachioed, plus there are big pink moustaches for cars and moustaches-on-a-stick (like pince-nez) for chicks.

Had dinner/drinks with someone I met on OkCupid this evening. It was quite pleasant. Hooray. :)

Not so much internet dating this time, but I’ve fallen victim to a crush on my roommate… and ughh, it sucks. I’ve been getting a bit of a vibe that she’s into me on some level - we have pretty good chemistry overall and she’s been getting kinda flirty with me lately after some drinks. Due to some things going on in her life, I feel like it’s not worth dreaming about an actual relationship at this point in time, but I’m highly attracted to her and something more casual might be on the table. I haven’t decided yet if it is worse to make a move and have this blow up in my face, or preserve the quality of my domestic arrangements while quietly suffering to myself. As the kids say these days…YOLO?

Ask her out. Anything is better than pining. Actually, anything is better than reading about someone else pining.

I’m like, a black belt in pining.

I say don’t shit where you eat.

Yeah, man. Don’t cross the streams.

I don’t believe in regrets. Which will you regret more: failing to ask her out, or giving it a try?

Fire, you mean "…giving it a try and the relationship failing spectacularly and being forced to live with someone who hates your guts. "

That’s right! I don’t see a problem.

I take some issue with the phrase “don’t shit where you eat” in this context. I’m not especially tied down to this place and neither is she. The worst thing that happens is what…someone has to find a new place to live? Life goes on?

I think it may be worth approaching the subject just to a) get it off my chest and b) see what happens. Even if she’s not into it, there’s a fair chance we can just continue on, closer as friends. Either that or I’ll just get insanely jealous every time she is interested in some other dude. But I guess that’s at least something I have control over.

I take some issue with the phrase “don’t shit where you eat” in this context. I’m not especially tied down to this place and neither is she. The worst thing that happens is what…someone has to find a new place to live? Life goes on?

I think it may be worth approaching the subject just to a) get it off my chest and b) see what happens. Even if she’s not into it, there’s a fair chance we can just continue on, closer as friends. If she’s into it, I would hate to pass up on something just because there’s an average chance it resolves terribly.